+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New Fieldpiece SM380V

Post Likes

New Fieldpiece SM380V

Well I'd been using a YJ P51-870 and pretty happy with it, a real nice digital manifold. But it didn't have wireless, and I like to use my JL probes, and when I saw the new FP 380, I was interested. Picked up a set this morn at local Johnstone and been playing with them and my JL probes. WOW! Everything linked right up and checking accuracy it's right on. Very well thought out menus and the most info on one screen of any digital I've ever seen. FP has a winner on their hands here. I checked the manifold for leaks, calibrated the ODDB tc and check pressures against my JL probes, everything checked right out. This manifold appears to me to be just slightly smaller than the previous Smans, but I don't have any for comparison. FP has always been the easiest to read, so that's all good. I'm off for a week, so won't get them on a system til after vacation, but from what I've seen so far, they're the gold standard now.

Post Likes
    Most of the digitals have a built-in manifold (valving)...
    How do the valves in the FP hold up... and can one get rebuild kits for the valves??

Would hate to pay the big $$$'s... then have the valves fail and the head is worthless...
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Your comfort, Your way, Everyday!

GA's basic rules of home heating and AC upgrades:
    *Installation is more important than the brand of equipment
    *The duct system keeps the house comfortable; the equipment only heats and cools (and dehumidifies)
    *The value of comfort, over the long term; leave economic choices behind!
    Choose your contractor wisely!

Post Likes
    I know for a fact FP has the rebuild kits for SMANs, and I wouldn't doubt your local Johnstone has them too, but don't know that. From what I've read, and from the guys I know using them, the SMAN valves hold up well. I used a couple of older SMANs for a short period and had no trouble, didn't need any parts. I have dealt directly with FP on a several occasions, not for repairs, but I do know they get right on your problem and solve it as fast as humanly possible. I haven't heard anyone who was unhappy with their customer service.

Post Likes
    I just checked online and valve kits are available at all the parts houses and call the local Johnstone and sure enough, they had em. Heck Amazon even had em. 20 something for 2, 40 something for 4.

Post Likes
    Used it on a service call for the first time the other day. I used wireless temp clamps and psychrometers. This thing makes it way easy to check & adjust charge. The SRS3 scale reads out right on the display. This makes it almost too easy to get it right without having to walk around taking Temps and doing calculations, even though i did just for a double check of all Temps and figures. This is one sweet setup.

6. Likes TruTech-Bill liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Just bought a set of SMAN 480 yesterday.I have not used them yet.I have the fieldpiece job link probes already .looking forward to using them together.Do you guys think that I can put the Psycrometric probes on the return air grill and the supply air register .I hate drilling holes in the ductwork.

8. Likes shavedneon liked this post.
    Post Likes
    That's how I do it if the ducts are impossible to get to. But I would much prefer drilling when possible. I don't know why you don't like it, two holes can be used for a lot of diagnostics.

Post Likes
    I wonder if you did any checks of the vacuum gauge on the 480? I did a quick & dirty test that will usually give fair results and mine was in the ballpark, but not as good as the seperat vacuum sensor on the YJ p51-870.but I don't pull thru a manifold much, so I dont care. It's nice for recovery though, so that's cool.

Post Likes
    Good thread!

I am thinking about getting a 380 set and a set of job-link probes.

When we do simple equipment change-outs... no reason to use all this fancy stuff... the DC will read SH/SC and get the system running just fine.

This would be for more difficult diagnostics and/or high end equipment.

When we are doing a change-out and there is no indication of acid or mixed refrigerants ... we generally recover, vacuum, and start up with a 4 valver and core tools... just easier and less steps (and less things to haul from the van and back again).
    I have a DC on a Titan 2 manifold... it works fine for simple stuff!
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Your comfort, Your way, Everyday!

GA's basic rules of home heating and AC upgrades:
    *Installation is more important than the brand of equipment
    *The duct system keeps the house comfortable; the equipment only heats and cools (and dehumidifies)
    *The value of comfort, over the long term; leave economic choices behind!
    Choose your contractor wisely!

Post Likes
    I kind of go back & forth on 3 & 4 valve manifolds. I just find myself using straight to vac pump instead of pulling thru a manifold. That's why I went w/380. I had a 4 valve YJ P51-870 & loved it, but never used the 4 valves but once that I remember. The new 380 make the YJ look like the model T!

Post Likes
    Do the smans offer onboard graphing?

14. Likes TruTech-Bill liked this post.
    Post Likes
    No, but they data log more data than I've seen on others. Literally everything is logged.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by knave View Post
    Do the smans offer onboard graphing?
    They link to JobLink app and measureQuick integration is coming.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Bill Spohn
    President & CEO
    www.TruTechTools.com

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by TruTech-Bill View Post
    They link to JobLink app and measureQuick integration is coming.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I just want something that will capture pumpdowns when I’m not present at the condenser. To make sure the LPC doesn’t shut off in a vacuum. I don’t need an app, just want to see if the line goes below 0 psig, and it looks like the YJ will do that.

Post Likes
    Yeah, it won't work for that. You can't see it without downloading to computer.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in