Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by profj View Post
    I'm not looking for an answer, answers are in play, nor asked for one. This is hall of shame Board.

Pictures presented in the hall of shame.

Whats the next course of action? (asked)

Tracking down the contractor. I want too present a fair trial here (im not a lawyer- just linguistic phrase). If the contractor confirms that they indeed sent operator XXXXX and I have the operator name to ACTUALLY install this unit (the sticker is on the unit, again that doesn't mean anything as BBeerme injected) then will have a scientific chat about correcting their work and doing the right thing, if they dont want to correct the situation then Plan B and Plan C action come into play. Plan B I wont discuss in the forum.

Plan C would be to monitor the compressor data per pressures as briefly described above. Ultimately remove section of copper, proper braze (nitrogen purge) etc, etc, with some additionally testing once recommissioned.

However. the linesets shouldnt go through these long PVC chases uninsulated step #1 and avoided for other reasons- however your battling also HOA rules, laws, CCR's regardless of science and codes that trump the HOA. That might never get corrected.

The client becomes the wedge in a potential loose, loose situation in X amount of years and mercy to shoddy tradespeople. Plan C will make it maybe a half win situation.
    OMG!!!!!

Here is proof that "Obsessive Compulsive Disorder" actually exists. I thought that it was a Myth.
    Hos 4:6 My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge. Because you have rejected knowledge, I will also reject you, that you may be no priest to me. Because you have forgotten your Gods law, I will also forget your children.

"You've got to Stand for Something or You'll fall for anything" (A. Tippin)

Mat_15:24 But he answered, I wasnt sent to anyone but the lost sheep of the house of Israel.

2. Likes lions_lair liked this post
    Post Likes
    I dont think you can get those kind of emotions out of my words. Whom am I > The greatest person you could meet or your worst enemy depends how you want to be treated with respect or disrespect- you decide

Hos 4:6 My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge. Because you have rejected knowledge, I will also reject you, that you may be no priest to me. Because you have forgotten your Gods law, I will also forget your children.

"You've got to Stand for Something or You'll fall for anything" (A. Tippin)

Mat_15:24 But he answered, I wasnt sent to anyone but the lost sheep of the house of Israel.

Post Likes

Post Likes
    What I will do
    Check SH and SC, Amps, etc... I will write up my findings and ask the customer if they want me to fix it now or give them a quote. Job done and on to the next one.
    This really isn't a big deal. You come across linked lines all the time.
    You should know if a system is working properly with out the manufacturers telling you it is in there books. When they test there systems it is running new and in a perfect world. If I had to bring literature to every job I went on then I would not be doing the customer right. It would show I don't know what I am looking at. Second, if i have to read up on a unit then i will do that on my lunch. I don't know about yall but we have an hourly rate. How is it fair to charge someone so that you can learn about there equipment. Your putting to much time on this and your customer has a unit that is working fine or not working fine. Just my opinion.

Post Likes
    OP, Do you have a brother named Guru?
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Liberalism-Ideas so good they mandate them

Post Likes
    Picture of a suction line: whats wrong here.

What contractor thinks this is acceptable? and if you say YES - your explanation better be scientific since it probably wont.

Are the HVAC contractors out there whom are letting there HVAC technician minions represent there company- doing quality control, proper peer installations, proper firing and or retraining?
    A nothing burger.. move along. Nothing amazing to see here.

Sent from my LG-K540 using Tapatalk
    "If you cant describe what you are doing as a process, you dont know what you are doing." ~ W. Edwards Deming

All those who wander..are not lost.

Do NOT..mistake my kindness for weakness.

The early bird may get the worm..but the second mouse gets the cheese.

8. Likes The Turtleman liked this post
    Post Likes
    Yea nowhere near top 5 lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    First you could run the system and see what the output of the unit is and compare it to rating. If it is close walk away.

Second you can use a flare block to fix the kink. No it will not make it completely round again but it will flow refrigerant fine. Ever seen a pinch off tool?

Finally don't let looks fool you. I was on a system earlier this week, my first thought was what a screwed up mess. The system was an 80k furnace with a 3T drive, it had a 4 T coil setting on top of it with 4" hanging off one side, outside was a 2.5 T unit. It had a short piece of 12x20 duct with a 16x20 filter, 16" round spiral tube with 4 4x8 661 registers that reduced to 12" round with 4 more like registers. After doing a test on the system it was running just over 1000 CFM, 10 SH, 4 SC which seemed a little low, but it was producing 28,500ish btus. So how much money should they put into redoing this system to gain what, less than a 1000 Btus, maybe! I gave them about 5 things they could do at no cost to see if the system improved performance that had to do with better air distribution. If they help then a more permanent solution can be done.

Post Likes
    All of this talk about using performance curves to check the compressor is a big nothing burger, at least regarding the kinked line.

Because, if the compressor is in good working order, no matter how large or small the kink is, the compressor will always match the performance curve.

Quote Originally Posted by BNME8EZ View Post
    First you could run the system and see what the output of the unit is and compare it to rating. If it is close walk away.

Second you can use a flare block to fix the kink. No it will not make it completely round again but it will flow refrigerant fine. Ever seen a pinch off tool?

Finally don't let looks fool you. I was on a system earlier this week, my first thought was what a screwed up mess. The system was an 80k furnace with a 3T drive, it had a 4 T coil setting on top of it with 4" hanging off one side, outside was a 2.5 T unit. It had a short piece of 12x20 duct with a 16x20 filter, 16" round spiral tube with 4 4x8 661 registers that reduced to 12" round with 4 more like registers. After doing a test on the system it was running just over 1000 CFM, 10 SH, 4 SC which seemed a little low, but it was producing 28,500ish btus. So how much money should they put into redoing this system to gain what, less than a 1000 Btus, maybe! I gave them about 5 things they could do at no cost to see if the system improved performance that had to do with better air distribution. If they help then a more permanent solution can be done.
    If you were a real tech, you'd solder a relay on that board and call it good to go.

I do a triple evac with nitro to remove non condensables.

I use 56% silver on everything except steel.

12. Likes Core_d liked this post
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BBeerme View Post
    All of this talk about using performance curves to check the compressor is a big nothing burger, at least regarding the kinked line.

Because, if the compressor is in good working order, no matter how large or small the kink is, the compressor will always match the performance curve.
    The point was, he looked at it and condemned the situation without doing any test to see just how bad the kink affected the system. I have seen kinks worse than that on systems with no apparent ill affects, that had run that way for most of it's life.

14. Likes lions_lair liked this post
    Post Likes
    That's why I asked the OP over and over again what is the pressure drop.

Quote Originally Posted by BNME8EZ View Post
    The point was, he looked at it and condemned the situation without doing any test to see just how bad the kink affected the system. I have seen kinks worse than that on systems with no apparent ill affects, that had run that way for most of it's life.
    If you were a real tech, you'd solder a relay on that board and call it good to go.

I do a triple evac with nitro to remove non condensables.

I use 56% silver on everything except steel.

16. Likes lions_lair liked this post
    Post Likes
    That line could have been kinked by just about anyone, homeowner included.

Post Likes
    ...Whom am I > The greatest person you could meet or your worst enemy depends how you want to be treated with respect or disrespect- you decide
    i like jokes!
    "Right" is not the same as "Wise".

Don't step on my favorite part of the Constitution just to point out your favorite part.

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast