Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Likes

Converting trane condensing unit fromm R22 to R407C

I am looking to change refrigerants on a Trane Condensing unit: CAUJC6042B1300

Trane compressors are Model # CSHA150K0E00
    Part # 570010151109
    COM06438

We are replacing the micro channel condensers and the customer wants to get rid of R22

Is there any issues anyone knows if we put R407C?

I am assuming we will need to change the oil also.

TIA
    Just when I thought I knew it all, I realize that I am still learning something new everyday!

Post Likes
    Forgot to ask, Does trane use a special Trane oil for R407C?
    Just when I thought I knew it all, I realize that I am still learning something new everyday!

Post Likes
    Pretty sure that compressor is what is known as a 3D Scroll. You'll find that printed near the middle of the paper label on the compressor.

The absolute best thing to do with those units is to use R-22 over mineral oil. The reason is there is no oil pump in them. And they have a robust history of failures after converting. 407C over POE is the only thing Trane recommends, but the recommendation comes with hesitations; think they say something like "If you cannot acquire R-22."

Why does the customer want to convert? Some sort of Greenie Thingy?

Be sure to get it in writing that you will not guarantee or warranty anything, expressed or implied. And be sure you have verification the customer acknowledges receipt of your disclaimers.
    If you were a real tech, you'd solder a relay on that board and call it good to go.

I do a triple evac with nitro to remove non condensables.

I use 56% silver on everything except steel.

Post Likes
    what He said.....be very careful.....contact trane, get written literature that does or does not support the conversion, and CYA.

Post Likes
    Not to mention some loss in capacity.
    If you were a real tech, you'd solder a relay on that board and call it good to go.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hvacpilot View Post
    Forgot to ask, Does trane use a special Trane oil for R407C?
    I emailed you the only Trane pdf I have on R407C conversions that might answer this, and other, questions.
    Instead of learning the tricks of the trade, learn the trade.

Post Likes
    3D scrolls are not approved by Trane for conversion. There is a very very very very long list of oil return problems on POE oil. You can buy units setup by the factory for 407C, those use engineered methods to assist with oil return and yet....they still eat compressors.

If you convert, there will be no warranty on the compressor from Trane. So if the customer demands it, get it in writing that you advised him against it.

Post Likes
    Remove Trane compressor and install a Copeland of equivalent capacity, charged with R407C.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    We haven't even heard why the customer wants to convert to 407C. Think about it.

How often does a customer call you up and say "I'd like to convert my unit from R-22 to R-407C"

Maybe the unit has a leak that has recurring costs to charge.

After all, they are going to be replacing the condensers as well. Hmmm.

Re-using the R-22 would probably be more cost effective.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BBeerme View Post
    We haven't even heard why the customer wants to convert to 407C. Think about it.

How often does a customer call you up and say "I'd like to convert my unit from R-22 to R-407C"

Maybe the unit has a leak that has recurring costs to charge.

After all, they are going to be replacing the condensers as well. Hmmm.
    Whenever I have the opportunity to change an R22 compressor, I almost always convert the system to 407C (since all new R22 compressors seem to come with POE oil). I don't give the customer options on refrigerant - it's whatever I decide.

If it's a refrigeration unit that I know can't tolerate even a small capacity drop, it's getting R22.

Post Likes
    I got no problem with that.

Unless it is a 3D scroll.

Or has capacity control of one type or another.

Just not worth it in the above two examples.

Quote Originally Posted by shellkamp View Post
    Whenever I have the opportunity to change an R22 compressor, I almost always convert the system to 407C (since all new R22 compressors seem to come with POE oil). I don't give the customer options on refrigerant - it's whatever I decide.

If it's a refrigeration unit that I know can't tolerate even a small capacity drop, it's getting R22.

Post Likes
    We had multiple leaks on the micro channel coils. The system is out of refrigerant and since we are changing the coils, it was a consideration to change out the R22 for another refrigerant.
    Based on the information you all provided, seems best to keep the R22 for now.

Thank you for your help.

Post Likes
    Im thinking Trane approved m099. But that was for Europe. Is there some difference in design on different sides of the pond? Besides 50hz.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast