+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Beef jerky

Post Likes

Beef jerky

First time I have ever done it not in the oven.
    Before and after pics. 4 hours on the pellet grill
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Why is it that those who complain the most contribute the least?
    MONEY CAN'T BUY HAPPINESS. POVERTY CAN'T BUY ANYTHING

Post Likes
    Curious why they have this thread lol

Post Likes
    It's the food and grill forum.

Do you cook any of your own food?

Need any ideas, or have any tips to share?

Quote Originally Posted by Wiseguy123 View Post
    Curious why they have this thread lol
    I do a triple evac with nitro to remove non condensables.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by 2sac View Post
    Looks good. How was the taste? I use a dehydrator to make jerky but this looks interesting.

Post Likes
    I loves me some beef jerky mmmhmm. Almost kilt me a dog over getten in my bag, but i refrained and then he got gout. Served him right.

Loved that dog..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Looks great!

Post Likes
    That looks awesome 2sac. I've noticed that the jerky from the gas station is really getting expensive lately. Just 2 of those sized pieces might run close to $20.

Could you share the process a little bit? What cuts of meat are those, how do you prepare them, and how do you store them afterwords?
    If at First You Don't Succeed, Skydiving Is Not for You.

Poodle Head Mikey is online now Membership Chair/ARP Committee / Professional Member*
    I try to stay as far away from myself as I can.
    Post Likes
    I generally use London Broil but any kind of low-fat roast will work.

The night before make up a marinade. A good amount of salt and some small amount of sugar are all that really required but I like to add a bunch of fresh crushed garlic, some fresh ground black pepper, and some fresh chopped onion. I hate red pepper so I never use it. And red pepper or hot sauces made from it, don't seem 'to go' right with jerky either. Fresh black pepper is The Ticket. More or less to taste. Soy sauce makes a good 'salt' component.

You can also use half soy sauce and half Worcestershire sauce if you'd like it less salty and more savory. I hate liquid smoke so I never use it but you can if you can stand that garbage. I find that honey is the best sugar to use. Tupelo is my favorite but any honey will work. I use about a tablespoon or so in maybe three cups of marinade. If you don't have honey a spoon or two of table sugar will work to mellow it all - but honey is always better. Let the marinade steep overnight in the refrigerator and then strain it before using it.

I freeze the meat slightly - not solid - just enough to firm it up to slice easily. When it's right the slicer makes a kind of shhhhhh sound as it cuts - the ice crystals I guess. If you like the jerky more stringy and chewy - slice in line with the grain. If you like the very very less chewy - slice across the grain of the meat.

I bought a cheap rotary slicer (like a deli meat slicer - but mostly plastic) to slice the beef with. I slice it somewhere between 1/8" (my favorite) and 1/4" (my son's favorite) and then put it into the marinade. Maybe ten or fifteen minutes and then onto the dehydrator racks.

Six or eight hours is about how long it takes for me. If you cut thicker it can take overnight. If you don't have a dehydrator you can use your oven racks by putting a 100 watt bulb in the bottom and leaving the door slightly open. The droplight cord going in at the top of the door is about enough space to let the moisture out.

PHM
    -----------

PHM
    --------

When faced with the choice between changing one's mind, and proving that there is no need to do so, most tend to get busy on the proof.

Post Likes
    I use top round sliced around 3/16" thick. The marinade is similar to PHM. 2/3 cup each of Worcestershire sauce and soy sauce, tsp each of black pepper and onion powder, tblsp of honey and red pepper flakes. That's good for about 1lb of meat. Marinate at least 24 hours. Then I add more red pepper flakes after the meat is spread on the rack.

Smoked them on 160 for 4 hours. They will keep in the freezer for months. 1-2 weeks not frozen.
    Last edited by 2sac; 04-22-2019 at 08:20 AM.

Poodle Head Mikey is online now Membership Chair/ARP Committee / Professional Member*
    Post Likes
    Wow; 24 hours! I leave the meat in the marinade about 20-30 minutes. <g>

What happens overnight? Do you think the salt tenderizes the meat left in it that long?

PHM
    ------------

I use top round sliced around 3/16" thick. The marinade is similar to PHM. 2/3 cup each of Worcestershire sauce and soy sauce, tsp each of black pepper and onion powder, tblsp of honey and red pepper flakes. That's good for about 1lb of meat. Marinate at least 24 hours. Then I add more red pepper flakes after the meat is spread on the rack.
    PHM
    --------

When faced with the choice between changing one's mind, and proving that there is no need to do so, most tend to get busy on the proof.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Poodle Head Mikey View Post
    Wow; 24 hours! I leave the meat in the marinade about 20-30 minutes. <g>

What happens overnight? Do you think the salt tenderizes the meat left in it that long?

PHM
    ------------
    I think the salt helps in the longevity of the product. Store bought jerky mixes have curing salts mixed in with them and end up way too salty

Post Likes
    Longevity of the product! Oh I get it! Good one! <g>

Hell; it's hard to even get it out of the dehydrator before everyone is eating it all. <g>

PHM
    ----------

I think the salt helps in the longevity of the product. Store bought jerky mixes have curing salts mixed in with them and end up way too salty
    PHM
    --------

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Poodle Head Mikey View Post
    Longevity of the product! Oh I get it! Good one! <g>

Hell; it's hard to even get it out of the dehydrator before everyone is eating it all. <g>

PHM
    ----------
    I agree.
    In the fall, I will sometime acquire excessive amounts of venison and have jerky for months.

Post Likes
    Looks amazing - mouth watering here!

Post Likes
    Looks Great!!

Post Likes
    Looks Great But I make all different flavors of beef jerky, and you can be very versatile with it, but the key ingredient is soy sauce, and maybe some water to tone down the saltiness; after that you can pretty much add whatever you want to suit your taste. If you want a pretty standard jerky (making deer jerky in dehydrator), you can use soy sauce, a little worcestershire, a little liquid smoke, some garlic powder and some black pepper . If you want more of a carne asada kind, use soy sauce, lime, cilantro, finely chopped onions and garlic, and a little cayenne and chili powder. For a teriyaki you can use soy sauce, honey, mirin and brown sugar. (I never measure, I just add to taste).

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in