Post Likes

Trane Heat Pump Replacement 2.5 ton

Replacing a 14 year old 11 seer unit in Central Florida attached condo units on both sides. The Current HP is under a cover area which the contractors have said should be moved out to allow better air flow.
    Insulation and windows are new. duct work looks good and estimate included proper sizing the unit

XR15/GAM5 Option 1
    TWL6/GAM5 Option 2 Low Profile unit that doesn't need to be relocated
    XR17/TAM9 Option 3 2 stage compressor

when comparing energy savings I'm wondering if the SEER calculator take into account a two-stage compressor? Will I see a bigger savings in my humid environment? Any experience with low profile unit?
    just wondering thoughts from independant pros on what they would do for best savings. Thank You.

Post Likes
    Option 1: best bang for the buck
    Option 2: good system not having to relocate heat pump
    Option 3: best system of the 3 for comfort and humidity control.

3 good choices by your contractor!

My questions to you would be:
    How long to you plan on being in the home?
    Are the costs including relocation of option 1 the same or close to option 2?
    Which is more important to you $avings or comfort?
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing" Socrates

Post Likes
    The Current HP is under a cover area

At least 5' clearance above is generally acceptable.

2 Stage is Comfort not savings!

Post Likes
    Thank You, As this is a retirement condo so we don't plan on Leaving. The bigger rebates on the XR17 make it 16% higher cost than XR15. The Quotes include moving power and new lines for the units that were to be moved
    and new Thermostats

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by indoormike View Post
    Thank You, As this is a retirement condo so we don't plan on Leaving. The bigger rebates on the XR17 make it 16% higher cost than XR15. The Quotes include moving power and new lines for the units that were to be moved
    and new Thermostats
    IMO, I would go for the XR17 in your case. Option 3 is a much better system, and if you’re going to be there for retirement I would assume comfort is more a priority. The XR17 will save you 6-9% in utility cost, but costs 16% more. So, that’s the one downfall.

Staging is where the comfort comes in. Even if the equipment is sized properly, they are still oversized for 3/4th of the season because they’re sized for the average peak temperature. A 2 stage will run on low for most of the season, around 70% capacity. This will provide more balanced comfort and advanced humidity removal.

From a tech standpoint, you’ll get more accurate quickly responding refrigerant flow from option 3.
    Both the TAM9 and XR17 have electronic expansion valves. The GAM5 and XR15 are thermostatic expansion valves.

I would use the XL824 thermostat with this system.

You mentioned thermostats, is there a zoning system? Or are they using remote sensors?

Post Likes
    its a single zone the xl824 is the thermostat included with the XR17 system. single story condo.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by indoormike View Post
    its a single zone the xl824 is the thermostat included with the XR17 system
    If you have 2 stories ask for a wireless remote sensor. This can be used with the XL824 to average the upstairs and downstairs temperatures.