Post Likes

What to look for in T&B company

We are looking to replace our HVAC controls. When we do I am planning to have T&B done as well.

What should I look for in a company to do this service for us?

What should I be asking and expecting?

What should I run from?

Post Likes
    Get quotes from at least 3 companies and ask for references.

And before you start, have design schedules and blueprints available. Without a design to balance to, its all pretty much a guess on the balancers part as to what you should have where.

NEBB or TAB certification would be most standard.

Perhaps call your local Sheet Metal or Pipefitters local union for a recommendation

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    HiPSI,
    Have you been back here lately ?
    All the stuff heatingman said !
    I would also suggest you contact a well respected Engineering firm and ask who they include in their specifications. Also contact other building Owners/Operator and ask them.

The 1 thing you should NOT do is let the contractor doing the upgrade hire the TAB professional. Your company should contract the TAB directly and make sure that it is done with a contract !
    Last edited by Cagey57; 04-19-2019 at 02:09 PM. Reason: eye kint spill tue gude
    If sense were so common everyone would have it !
    Stupid should Hurt !
    If people took care of their cars like they do their HVAC Systems you'd see a lot more people walking
    !

Post Likes
    Thanks for the input!

Cagey57, what would you expect to include in a contract?

Post Likes
    If you have a large complex system, I’d be looking for a company that could come up with solutions if things don’t balance properly. Listing deficiencies is easy. Offering ideas to fix deficiencies is what I’d like to see.

Post Likes
    First stick with NEBB or AABC. Second make it clear you WILL require the TAB contractor to take readings after balance is complete in your presents that you will witness. Specify that if more than 15% of the readings are not within 90% of design balance of the entire system or systems shall be done unless adequate explanation as to why is included in the balance summary0. Don't rely on who engineers spec because they are easily fooled by a TAB guy that knows how to fool them. Contract directly with the TAB contractor because very few contractors that sublet to them know when they are being BS'D and not many of them care. They just want a certified report so they can get their retention. A lot of engineers feel the same way and want the report to make them look good and could care less if there are no complaints.
    I was a certified NEBB contractor for 20 years and am giving it to you straight. Unless you know the fundamentals no amount of questioning a TAB guy will help.
    What state are you in?
    No man can be both ignorant and free.
    Thomas Jefferson

Post Likes
    We are in Georgia.

The system is fairly complex. It is essentially a school, several auditoriums, and office rooms in various places. It was built in stages over the last 20 years with different systems mixed in with different sections as they were added.

These are some great points to consider and require as we pursue this work.

Thanks!

Post Likes
    Sorry but I don't have any idea of how much expertise there is in Georgia.
    No man can be both ignorant and free.
    Thomas Jefferson