+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 55% humidity and 79-84 deg: which system do you suggest me? One or two stages?

Post Likes

55% humidity and 79-84 deg: which system do you suggest me? One or two stages?

Hi,

My compressor died and replacing it is $. It was a Trone, 3 ton system with one stage compressor and variable speed Air Handler. I am debating if I should stay on the same specs or I should get a two stages compressor. I live in Nord Florida (GAinesville), just bought the house in July 2018 and this year I probably turned on the heat for 10 days max. I kept the AC level to 82 when not at home, and 79-80 degrees when at home, I do not like it too cold, for example in my office it is 75 and I freeze and I always use a sweater. What matters to me is keeping the humidity down, temperature can be 79-80. I do have a two zone system, so if my girlfriend and I have plans for the night (hope you understand me) I set my room only at 73-75 degrees. But for sleeping 79-80 is good for me. What I could not control was humidity, which I never measured, so I wonder if I could be good with 55% humidity and 80-82 degrees as a basic plan from evening to early morning. And 55% humidity and 84 degrees during the day I am not home. I think it would say me good money. I could get different quotes from 3 different companies. Which one would you suggest for my needs? Am I able to set humidity on one stage compressor with variable speed air handler? 1 vendor said I can 100% sure, the other two told me I cannot. And I see mixed opinions online. Coul dyou help me choose? Please see below.

COMPANY 1 and 2:
    AVERAGE/GOOD OPTION:
    TRANE XR15 15 SEER
    3 Ton Heat Pump System,
    Single Stage Compressor With Variable Speed Air Handler
    AprilAire Premium Air filter
    10 Year Manufacturer Compressor Warranty
    10 Year Manufacturer Parts Warranty,
    1 Year Labor Warranty.

FANCIER OPTION:
    TRANE XR17 17 SEER
    3 Ton Heat Pump System
    Two Stage Compressor With Variable Speed Air Handler
    AprilAire Premium Air filter
    Trane 824 Wifi Stat
    10 Year Manufacturer Compressor Warranty
    10 Year Manufacturer Parts Warranty
    1 Year Labor Warranty

For both models: Includes Load Calculation For Proper Sizing, Programmable Digital Thermostat, Concrete Pad, Float Switch, Remove All Old Equipment, Meet All Codes, All Material and Labor Included One
    maintenance a year required to keep warranty in effect.

Company 3:

AVERAGE/GOOD OPTION:
    Carrier 25HBC537A003 -Comfort Series
    -Heat Pump
    -Single Stage
    -10 year parts limited to original purchaser upon timely registration
    -Otherwise 5 years (Applies to residential installation only)
    Carrier FV4CNF005L00 -Performance Series
    -Air Handler
    -Variable Speed

Carrier CE0801N08 -Auxiliary Heater

FANCIER OPTION:
    Carrier 25HCB636A003 -Performance Series
    -Heat Pump
    -Two Stage
    -Sound as low as 70 dBA
    -10 year parts limited to original purchaser upon timely registration
    -Otherwise 5 years (Applies to residential installation only)
    Carrier FV4CNF005L00 -Performance Series
    -Air Handler
    -Variable Speed

Carrier CE0801N08 -Auxiliary Heater

CE ecobee4 Smart Thermostat WiFi Smart Thermostat with a room sensor and built-in Alexa voice service 4"x4"x1"
    5 year parts warranty

For both models, included services are:
    - EXPLAIN SYSTEM OPERATION
    - REMOVE, RECYCLE AND HAUL AWAY OLD DEBRIS
    - NEW LIQUID LINE FILTER DRIER
    - FREE 1 TIME MAINTENANCE WITHIN THE FIRST 365 DAYS
    - CONNECT TO EXISTING HIGH VOLTAGE
    - SEALED METAL RETURN PLENUM
    - CONNECT TO EXISTING REFRIGERANT LINES
    - LOCKING REFRIGERANT CAPS
    - LABOR WARRANTY
    - INFINITY ZONE UPGRADE
    - CHECK SYSTEMS OPERATION
    - BOUNDS REGISTERS ALL CARRIER EQUIPMENT
    - NEW 4" CONCRETE PAD
    - HURRICANE TIE DOWN STRAPS
    - INSPECT DUCT SYSTEM
    - EQUIPMENT DISPOSAL
    - RX11 LINE FLUSH
    - PERMIT
    - SECONDARY DRAIN PAN WITH WATER SAFETY DEVICE
    Last edited by Dad; 04-09-2019 at 09:51 PM.

Post Likes
    Some good points.
    The idea of high temp along with low humidity being comfortable is been long discussed.
    78-80^F <50%RH along with air movement from a ceiling fan is comfortable for many. Turning the a/c off when unoccupied and maintaining 50% is superior at preventing mold and dust. This requires supplemental dehumidification during evenings and rainy days, but assures major reduction mold and dust mites. Also energy use is a fraction of attempting humidity control with an a/c.
    Any of the systems you describe will work along with small whole house dehumidifier like the Ultra-Aire 70 will provide the low humidity during evenings and rainy days.
    Keep us posted.
    Hope others will comment on your system choices.
    Regards Teddy Bear
    Bear Rules: Keep our home <50% RH summer, controls mites/mold and very comfortable.
    Provide 60-100 cfm of fresh air when occupied to purge indoor pollutants and keep window dry during cold weather. T-stat setup/setback +8 hrs. saves energy
    Use +Merv 10 air filter. -Don't forget the "Golden Rule"

Post Likes
    I am out of the loop on newer residential systems, but my old Carrier split system with variable speed blower has a humidistat thermostat and controls the humidity along with cooling setpoint . Once setpoint is almost reached , it slows the blower way down to meet the humidity setpoint.
    An oversized a-coil and an outside air temp sensor also slows the blower during heating to keep the supply air temp above 100 degrees or so no matter how cold outside. Heat pump.
    Carrier still has this system out there but not sure about Trane.
    Ideal humidity and comfort heating.
    No need for a whole house dehumidifier unit with this system.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in