Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Likes

Helium Gas leak detector

Anyone had any luck with any brand of leak detector compared to using a Helium Mass Spectrometer?

Post Likes
    The 2nd most important amendment is to protect the 1st....

Free Air Conditioner Sizing Chart

Post Likes
    yes, we have

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by R123 View Post
    Hahaha!

Post Likes
    The H-10 set the standard for the industry. So it has been my go to model for the past few decades. They came out with a battery model, and discontinued the corded only model, and I've heard some complaints about it. But don't know from personal experience.

My H-10 Universal is getting long in the tooth, don't know how much longer it will last, but when it dies, I'll be getting the H-10 Pro.
    If you were a real tech, you'd solder a relay on that board and call it good to go.

I do a triple evac with nitro to remove non condensables.

I use 56% silver on everything except steel.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BBeerme View Post
    The H-10 set the standard for the industry. So it has been my go to model for the past few decades. They came out with a battery model, and discontinued the corded only model, and I've heard some complaints about it. But don't know from personal experience.

My H-10 Universal is getting long in the tooth, don't know how much longer it will last, but when it dies, I'll be getting the H-10 Pro.
    H10 pro will not pick up Helium gas.

Post Likes
    Oh, I thought you were using it for refrigeration work.

In that case, the only ones I've seen were made by Varian. Pretty trippy. It was for finding leaks on deep vacuum equipment. They'd inject just a bit of helium, then even though the equipment was under a vacuum, the helium would leak out. Worked like a champ. Think they used to let it warm up for something like a half hour.

Quote Originally Posted by jimp View Post
    H10 pro will not pick up Helium gas.
    If you were a real tech, you'd solder a relay on that board and call it good to go.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BBeerme View Post
    Oh, I thought you were using it for refrigeration work.

In that case, the only ones I've seen were made by Varian. Pretty trippy. It was for finding leaks on deep vacuum equipment. They'd inject just a bit of helium, then even though the equipment was under a vacuum, the helium would leak out. Worked like a champ. Think they used to let it warm up for something like a half hour.
    I was on a MR site yesterday, and they have been looking for a coldhead compressor helium gas leak for 30 days with soap bubbles. Pulled out the H10 Pro and cracked a helium gas tank, the H10 never picked it up.

I failed as the hero.

Post Likes
    That's because the H-10 breaks the refrigerant molecule up and is looking for chlorine and/or fluorine.

I was on a MR site yesterday, and they have been looking for a coldhead compressor helium gas leak for 30 days with soap bubbles. Pulled out the H10 Pro and cracked a helium gas tank, the H10 never picked it up.

I failed as the hero.

Post Likes

I failed as the hero.
    Yeah, thats not gonna work

Post Likes
    So I asked the FSE how he was going to find the leak. He said " keep changing parts " WTF. They had gone thru two large tanks of 99.99% medical grade already, working on the third.

Post Likes
    Only time I ever did anything with helium was using it as a leak test gas on an item we constructed out of SS tubing...leak test was water dunk test....I am going to guess a dunk test is out of the question here. Lol

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    I recommended adding some 407 to it for the leak test, that freaked the guy out. He was worried about having residual 407 left in the system, I said we could triple evac and use the helium to purge every time.

It was a no go.

So I guess he will keep changing parts and using soap bubbles.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast