Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by David Goodman View Post
    For what is is worth, this did pass permit inspection.

I told Westinghouse that I felt the drain height was a design flaw on this model. When I was on the phone with the person who was sending me a replacement, he told me he was looking at the replacement unit (physically standing in front of it), and the drain was below the element.

Well, he must not have been looking a the unit that was sent to me.
    Hos 4:6 My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge. Because you have rejected knowledge, I will also reject you, that you may be no priest to me. Because you have forgotten your God’s law, I will also forget your children.

"You've got to Stand for Something or You'll fall for anything" (A. Tippin)

Mat_15:24 But he answered, “I wasn’t sent to anyone but the lost sheep of the house of Israel.”

Post Likes
    If the hot water coming back was so hot that it could melt the dip tube there would be a serious problem as it would probably melt the pex,pvc, or cpvc hot water supply lines first. If I remember correctly most tip tubes are just regular pvc.

Post Likes
    I did not know you could pipe a relief valve like that. Around here it has to terminate “open” to a drain or floor.

Post Likes
    Same with my area

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jakeesspoo View Post
    I did not know you could pipe a relief valve like that. Around here it has to terminate “open” to a drain or floor.
    2015 UPC 608.5 does not mention that elbows cannot be used in the discharge pipe. 608.5(3) allows the pipe to terminate outside the building.
    It's an upside down world we live in.

Post Likes
    I've never been allowed to put a 90 in a relief line David, ... It may be an addition to the Code, enforced here, but the concern seems to be of "Pressure/Steam" backing up, & causing a Catastrophe.
    Hos 4:6 My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge. Because you have rejected knowledge, I will also reject you, that you may be no priest to me. Because you have forgotten your God’s law, I will also forget your children.

Mat_15:24 But he answered, “I wasn’t sent to anyone but the lost sheep of the house of Israel.”

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidDeBord View Post
    I've never been allowed to put a 90 in a relief line David, ... It may be an addition to the Code, enforced here, but the concern seems to be of "Pressure/Steam" backing up, & causing a Catastrophe.
    This is done in almost all of the stick built homes here.
    It's an upside down world we live in.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by David Goodman View Post
    This is done in almost all of the stick built homes here.
    Wow.

back in the late 70s, I was on a Crew that was installing a full cut ductwork, and a new Furnace/ A.C.

Around lunch time, We heard a "Blast" up the block, & went running outside.

Lol! There was a water heater laying out in the street! The House was single story, & apparently it Blew up in the Utility room, & took off through the roof.

That was the only opportunity, where I heard & saw what could happen. Oh, ... When the Inspector came about 3 days later to Our Job, he even asked us if we heard what happened, & then he began telling us about it. Apparently the City of Cinti., sent a heard of Inspectors to that house.

Post Likes
    the question is what caused it to become a rocket

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pctech View Post
    the question is what caused it to become a rocket
    True,....From what this Inspector was saying, .... The Relief Valve failed to dump, & the DHW Stat continued to call for heat.

In a kitchen with my head stuck in an oven
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidDeBord View Post
    True,....From what this Inspector was saying, .... The Relief Valve failed to dump, & the DHW Stat continued to call for heat.

I think I'll go downstairs right now to perform the first annual testing of my T & P relief valve.
    ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° °

"You never know what others don't know." -

If I can't laugh at myself...then I'll laugh at YOU! -

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ECtofix View Post

I think I'll go downstairs right now to perform the first annual testing of my T & P relief valve.

Bryan Orr of hvacrschool.com , has a training video of a TP Valve failing on a water heater set up in a shed.

It was amazing! They set it up to fail, ... The DHW makes a Boom like a stick of dynamite, & takes off like a rocket through the roof of the shed.

Post Likes
    what page of videos is it on so i can find it

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast