Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Likes

Using a new brand can be a shame.

This might not look like a horrible installation, but it is. It was the replacement of an identical one year old unit.

The drain is about an inch above the opening of the lower element. After draining the tank, there was more than six gallons that had not drained out.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    It's an upside down world we live in.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by David Goodman View Post
    This might not look like a horrible installation, but it is. It was the replacement of an identical one year old unit.

The drain is about an inch above the opening of the lower element. After draining the tank, there was more than six gallons that had not drained out.
    It looks like the drain is in the same spot as any other water heater - am I missing something?

The flexible lines look REAL nice, though.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    I need to revise my claims. This was something of an angry rant.

Both openings are right at six inches above the bottom of the base. Please forgive me Westinghouse.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Likes
    This install had been a shame from the start.

I had used a Watts 3/4” LF7RU2-2-Lead-Free-Dual-Check-Valve between the shutoff valve and the expansion tank. The female threads on the end opposite from the union was not deep enough to get a good seal. So, I had to use extra wraps of tape to get it to stop leaking.

Two months after being installed, it started to leak again.

I tapped the threads a little deeper (at the risk of making the brass body too thin), and it hasn’t leaked since then.

I called Watts, and they said they recommend 4 wraps of the thick blue Teflon tape with this model check valve.

Then, both the upper and lower elements burned out. The elements are the type that are folded back, and both had warped. I was able to get the upper element out, but not the lower.

Post Likes
    I hate those circ setups off the drain.

Post Likes
    I think the folded ones are "low watt density"
    Col 3:23

questions asked, answers received, ignorance abated

Post Likes
    thats were the makers of them tell you to pipe it to avoid any water comeing back that would be hot enugh to melt the cold water inlet dip tube

Post Likes

Is that T& P Valve reduced to 1/2", then piped to a 90 degree elbow so that the Steam could be vented through the wall David?

And as far as that drain, ... that looks like a Factory defect to me.
    Hos 4:6 My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge. Because you have rejected knowledge, I will also reject you, that you may be no priest to me. Because you have forgotten your God’s law, I will also forget your children.

"You've got to Stand for Something or You'll fall for anything" (A. Tippin)

Mat_15:24 But he answered, “I wasn’t sent to anyone but the lost sheep of the house of Israel.”

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidDeBord View Post
    Is that T& P Valve reduced to 1/2", then piped to a 90 degree elbow so that the Steam could be vented through the wall David?

And as far as that drain, ... that looks like a Factory defect to me.
    The PEX on the PT drain is 3/4".

Post Likes
    The PEX on the PT drain is 3/4".
    That Flex line is 3/4"?
    Hos 4:6 My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge. Because you have rejected knowledge, I will also reject you, that you may be no priest to me. Because you have forgotten your God’s law, I will also forget your children.

Mat_15:24 But he answered, “I wasn’t sent to anyone but the lost sheep of the house of Israel.”

Post Likes
    That Flex line is 3/4"?
    Good golly! You might be right. Don’t know how I missed that.

Post Likes
    David, here in Ohio, we have to maintain the 3/4" TP pipe size all the way down to the floor, with no 90s, & if I remember correctly the TP outlet is terminate approx. 6" from the floor.

As far as that drain height from the bottom, ... Did Westinghouse say anything about that ridiculous drain height?

Post Likes
    David, here in Ohio, we have to maintain the 3/4" TP pipe size all the way down to the floor, with no 90s, & if I remember correctly the TP outlet is terminate approx. 6" from the floor.

As far as that drain height from the bottom, ... Did Westinghouse say anything about that ridiculous drain height?
    For what is is worth, this did pass permit inspection.

I told Westinghouse that I felt the drain height was a design flaw on this model. When I was on the phone with the person who was sending me a replacement, he told me he was looking at the replacement unit (physically standing in front of it), and the drain was below the element.

Well, he must not have been looking a the unit that was sent to me.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast