Thread: Acca manual b

Post Likes

Acca manual b

As the title says anyone read this? If so your thought I’m noticing a lot of the t&b materials focus mostly on the airside. Is this the norm? If so do you guys/gals have good recommendation on reference that covers both or one that’s heavy on the hydronic side as always tia
    Honeywell you can buy better but you cant pay more

I told my wife when i die to sell my fishing stuff for what its worth not what i told her i paid for it

Post Likes
    Book called Start, Test, and Balance

Is pretty good. Published by the UA, but you can find older copies on Amazon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Thanks for the input looks like the book is a available from amazon for about 30$ and a updated copy from the ua is about double. Maybe one of the apprentices has a copy I can checkout before I order Dont mind spending money just dont need a repeat of material I already have.

I told my wife when i die to sell my fishing stuff for what its worth not what i told her i paid for it

Post Likes
    Wayne made mention of a week long school offered by the ua sheet metal has anyone taken this course? Is this the textbook for this class or just light reading material

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by crazzycajun View Post
    Wayne made mention of a week long school offered by the ua sheet metal has anyone taken this course? Is this the textbook for this class or just light reading material
    Not sure what they teach from in the Tinners union.

I took water and air balance through the MCA (Mechanical Contractors Association)- not sure if thats a National thing or not. But in Chicago the MCA is who the unions negotiate the contracts with, then the contractors sign to the MCA agreement. Not to get into the weeds, but obviously some companies like Carrier or JCI have their own national contracts and such.

So the MCA is union affiliated.

Anyway - I got certified test and balance in air and water through the MCA. And the book used was Start, Test, and Balance.

Make no mistake - I dont do balance work daily, so I dont consider myself a balancer, but more of a Tech that knows how to do some balancing.

And for what its worth, Im a pipefitter, and when I took the MCA coarse there were also tinners there too.

I retake it every year or two to keep fresh, and the teacher they use is as sharp as it gets. their is class for water, a class for air. Then theres a 3rd seperate class that more geared for service and touches on both air and water, with a focus on psychometrics.

The courses I take are 6 weeks water, 6 weeks air, 6 weeks psychometrics and service. Night classes - one night a week.

Post Likes
    Thanks heatingman good info wish our hall offered that. Now to decide do I get the amazon at a discount or order the latest and greatest from the ua

Post Likes
    I would get the discounted one. The only stuff that really changes are the tools used for the testing, but even the most modern one is not really up to date in that regard.

From the sounds of it, your not gonna be doing balance work on the daily, so you probably wont be buying multi-thousand dollar equipment for testing anyway.

Get the book, then ask Qs about what tools to get to get started.

But - basically - you can do service level balance and trouble shooting with very in expensive stuff

A pitot, a low range Magnehelic or better yet a budget micro-anemometer, and a few analog pressure gauges and readout probe adaptors and youll be off to the races.

Id say - tool wise - you could probably spend 400 and be able to do what you need. But realistically you probably already have some of the tools already.

Post Likes

Acca manual b

In fact, I had a post a month ago about an Extech Micro-Anemometer.

Pretty inexpensive, came with a pitot. I ended up buying a fluke (cause im sort of a tool snob) but the reviews for the Extech were very good.

This is the one.

Post Likes
    I remember that thread now