Post Likes

Vibration from Commercial AC on Roof

Hello,
    We live in a mixed commercial residential building and the retail space has their AC unit on the roof of the building. We had issues last year where they fixed vibration we were hearing from the AC unit (we had vibration in top floor condo in the bed room and hallway from the AC). They placed the AC unit on a plastic stand, which is why we heard so much vibration in our top floor residential condo. They fixed the problem last year with anti vibration pads which worked great!! There has been no issue since they fixed this in August 2018, but now with the warmer weather approaching (in Chicago), the AC unit is back on and we have slight vibration again. I am not sure if the pads took a beating during the weather but wanted to get the advice of the pros here. I have not been on the roof yet to check the status. Not sure if a pad moved during the winter. We are dealing with a retail space that will probably not fix the issue so I am trying to take this into my own hands. Name:  HVAC.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  133.4 KB

I have attached what is currently there for anti vibration. Does anyone else have better ideas that I can approach the retail space with? When the HVAC contractor installed last year they did not disconnect any equipment to place the pads. Also, i have reached out to the contractor about our vibration again and I have yet to hear from him.

Post Likes
    You could get a white noise generator, you may find the combination quite soothing. Now that I got that out, it could simply be a bad compressor or fan motor. Someones going to have to go to the roof to investigate.

Post Likes
    May make less noise and vibration if someone cleaned that coil good. It looks extremely dirty.
    “I haven’t failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” - Thomas Edison

“It’s not whether you get knocked down, it’s whether you get up.” - Vince Lombardi

"In this house we obey the laws of thermodynamics" - Homer Simpson

Local 486

Post Likes
    There is something called spring isolators. The cork pads compress after time. The spring isolators need to be sized by the load but if applied correctly they work fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ckartson
    I didn't write the book I just read it!

Post Likes

thank you!

thank you very much!!! this all is super helpful. The HVAC contractor is going to come out this week and replace the cork pads in the meantime. I also asked the retail owners to do PM on their unit so they are going to have a clean and sweep done as well which should hopefully not have the unit work so hard

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]