Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Likes

New guy with a handful...scrap it? ICE1006

New to the forum and working on ice makers. I have a smaller Ice o Matic machine that I have tinkered with and replaced some parts on so I have a decent understanding of the workings of it but am by no means experienced. I work for a large industrial hvac contractor so I have experience with hvac/refrigeration in general and access to most tools I would need for repair.

I acquired an ICE1006FA2A (year unknown) for free from a buddy. It wasn't working and he didn't want to pay to fix it so I figured I would see what I could do with it. I'm beginning to think I might should just scrap it and sell the Hoshizaki storage bin (B-700PD) to cover my costs invested so far. I enjoy the challenge and would like to learn as much as I can about it so I'm all for fixing it if it makes sense to do so.

What I have replaced so far:
    - Water purge valve. Existing one was busted probably from water freezing in it after some time of no use and sitting in friend's shop
    - One of the two relays in the control box area. Existing one had burnt contacts

Other problems I found last night after replacing the water purge valve and relay:
    - The harvest assist motor slip clutch is loose or binding. When it is engaged it will turn slightly then binds and I have to reach from top of machine and bump it a few times with my hand to get it to make a full revolution
    - I think the timer initiate control is bad. Or the timer itself is bad. Or both maybe. When I put the switch in ice mode the unit would only run for a few minutes before initiating harvest sequence/opening water purge valve. While machine is running and with switch off both wires going to the timer (brown/black) have 120v to them and both wires going to the timer initiate switch (black/black) have 120v to them. Even with both wires unplugged from timer they both have 120v to them. I assume this isn't correct. Maybe I'm not thinking about this right but I thought once the correct pressure is satisfied for the timer initiate it should send power to the timer input which starts the clock running. Once the timer runs out it sends power out to initiate the harvest sequence. Again, I may be way off base.
    - Biggest problem I think: I disconnected the timer wires so the machine would continue to run in freeze cycle. I ran it for about 30 minutes and the evaporator will only get to about 38F. The refrigerant lines going to the evaporator will get to about 19-20F but the evaporator never dropped below 38F. I'm not sure if this is just a charge issue or what.

I feel like I can fix anything on the machine except maybe charging, evacuating, repairing things on refrigerant lines/system. Obviously, this is pretty important to being able to operate the machine. I am willing to acquire some tools and learn if that is a possibility without someone showing me in person.

Sorry for the rambling. I appreciate any advice you guys can give. Thanks again.

Post Likes
    Ice machines are hard without training and you picked one of the hardest!

Scrap it.

Post Likes
    This is one of the hardest machines to work on the first thing I look at is the plate if it has any corrosion or flaking of nickel scrap it ! What Freon is init? They had problems with their micro switches replace both harvest switch and damper door switch then weigh the proper charge in it after you leak check the machine with a good leak detector. Solenoid valves leak were they bolted together is another common problem check amps also put gauges on it . Need to know what Freon?

Post Likes
    Sounds like you need a harvest assist assembly. That includes the motor and cam switch. Usually if the top relay burns up, I've found the cam switch is going out.
    You need to put a gauge on to see what the suction pressure is. There is a low pressure switch that closes and sends power to the timer. It could be low on refrigerant, bad valves, hot gas valve leaking by, many variables.

Post Likes
    And they only like to operate in 70-85 degree weather

You can trick the unit into going to harvest mode within a "few minutes" by unplugging the water pump , it makes the low side drop like a rock avoiding the 20 minute wait for ice , and you can test the timer ALOT faster

Post Likes
    Thanks for the info guys. The machine uses R404A. I'll start with some of the items you guys mention. I hate to throw it away if I can get it going for a few hundred more. Maybe that is foolish though.

Post Likes
    Get the manual
    Read it and understand it

Good luck

Post Likes
    Update: had one of our service techs come by and check the charge. He also has some experience with ice machines. It was slightly low. He put the correct charge in and it is making ice in about 12-14 minutes and appears to be entering harvest cycle correctly. Timer is working also. He didnt have anything to leak check it with so we will see over the next few days if its leaking down. Since its making ice I moved forward with troubleshooting. Harvest assist motor is binding like discussed before. I pulled it and it appears the only problem is the little brass bushing that the shaft rides in has worn over time and is now more oblong shaped than round. Its letting the shaft move too much and bind up. Im having trouble locating a replacement. I found a few places overseas but they are all out of stock. I cant post pictures or links yet but if you google the part number there are some good pictures of the bushing Im referring to. I wish I could just replace the bushing but the chances of finding a replacement for just the bushing seem slim. Any ideas on where I can find the right motor replacement or just the bushing? Thanks.

Part#: crouzet sp-1905-40 230v

Post Likes
    How old is that machine if has 404a it seems to me it should have a circuit board in it . The last machine I have worked on with a pressure switch and a machanical harvest timer had either 502 or 12 in it maybe its been retrofitted

Post Likes
    Ice o mantis still uses a reverse acting LP Control and timer!

Post Likes
    ive replaced leaking low pressure switches .....

Post Likes
    Check the solinoid valve were it bolts together and I agree with Snapper the belows on pressure switches sometimes rupture.

N'awlins Dawlin' USA and Palmares Costa Rica
    Post Likes
    The serial number will give you a month and year code of manufacture.
    PartsTown has easy look up of the online .pdf manual.

I may have the harvest assist in a used parts bin. We have scrapped several of those machines and only have two remaining in service. The rest were replaced with Manitowocs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast