Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Show me your van setup

Post Likes
    Beautiful!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by itsiceman View Post
    Beautiful!
    X2

I can really appreciate the effort, craftsmanship and thought put into that.

I really like how the shelving is all hung leaving the floor completely open.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Tom,
    How long did that take to make?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Tom, amazing work!!

Post Likes
    I didn't time the build time - I did a lot of design as you go. The hardest part was getting the bulkheads to match the contour of the sides of the van as they are all different. Here is a link to the original webpage that inspired me: https://www.thisiscarpentry.com/2011/07/15/van-racking/

I think I saved my templates in case I do it again. It is a monolithic (one piece) structure made with mostly 3/4 ply. Most all of the shelves are the same width so they can all be cut at the same time with a table saw. Overall it is pretty brute-force carpentry, definately not furniture grade construction. The shelves are held to the bulkheads with glue and pocket screws. The bulkheads are secured to 3/4 ply runners at the top, and to 3/4 ply on the floor, and to 1/4 inch ply on the walls. The bulkheads don't touch the 1/4 ply walls wood-on-wood but there is a gap there that is filled with Sikaflex polyurethane caulk.

I spent a lot of time using high strength hardware securing the interior to good metal on the side walls thinking about that 35mph crash hoping to survive without being crushed against the wheel by the shelving system. Hopefully that part will never be tested!

The constant width shelves and having a gap between the bulkhead and the walls makes the construction go relatively quickly. I think I could do the basic build-out in 3 days. If I was going to do a couple of them then maybe 1-1/2 to 2 days. It might be easier (faster) on a transit because their walls are straight. The underfloor extends into the drivers cap so that the eight foot bed can hold 10 foot pipe sections. (originally designed for solar hot water where I would need lots of hard copper tubing). The drawer-slide part was an afterthought on a weekend when I didn't have much going on.

It's wired for 120V and has a shore power plug in but I stopped working on it before I fabricated a battery holder to hold 3 marine batteries to power the 12VDC-120VAC 2kW inverter/charger.

Post Likes
    A stack of 4X8 sheets of plywood or a few stacked 4X8 solar thermal collectors can be slid in on the floor under the shelves.

Post Likes
    Nice work Tom , inspired by your setup
    Sent from the van with the a/c on.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in