Post Likes

Gentlemen (and Ladies) Please take me to school........

First let me say that I used to be a tech...about 10 years ago. Life circumstances changed my course but I am looking to get back into it with a twist.

I am looking into alternative ways to heat and cool tiny houses. NOT those 165sqft jobs....those are MICRO houses LOL.....I am talking 1k sqft or less down to 500sqft.

Now I am putting in my own tiny house of about 800sqft and I'd like to try something on mine to see if it will work. I want to cool with a geothermal loop. My plan is to dig a trench about 100' long about 6' deep. run 1" black water line in the trench. One part of the loop in the bottom then fill to about half and then run the other end on that and fill in the rest. In my mind the higher line would be the out of the pump and the lower would be the in.

I have 2 dilemmas...

First with this wild/crazy thing going around in my head work and Second...How do I size a coil for that????

My plan is to use a standard airhandler with a 2 ton blower. I can't imagine for the square footage needing any more than that. Before everyone jumps in on the calcs...This is going to be a VERY tight house. Also please, How does dehumidification work on this type of system? Same? Different?

I have not ever had a hand in hydronics or geothermal so this is all new territory for me!

So.....As I said above.....Take me to school!

Thanks in advance for any direction and advice given!

Chuck.

Post Likes
    Theoretically it can be done, but in reality it can not.

The temperature difference between your house and the ground will not be great enough to transfer enough heat into the ground to make it worth while. In order to make this work you would need an insane amount of tubing. With an insane amount of tubing would come the need for an insanely large pump to move the water around. With the amount of electricity you would need to power this insanely large pump, you wouldn't be coming out ahead anywhere.

It might make sense to use a geo-thermal heat pump to accomplish what you want if you really want to, and if you have the extra money, but just tubing by itself isn't going to cut it.
    If at First You Don't Succeed, Skydiving Is Not for You.

Post Likes
    Still going to need a compression expansion evaporate and condenser. The water alone will never work. Instead you use the water over what would be the “outdoor coil”

Think of it like running your garden hose over your outdoor heat pump year round. In the summer it’s 55* Water so the ac is really efficient and in winter it’s 55* Water so even as it gets colder the hp will still run well.

Basically in a Geo system, your replacing the outside air across that coil with water.

If the house is going to be very tight it might needs less than 1 ton of HVAC. Will need to get a high end unit that can dehumidify or else you will have to get a separate dehu. Will also need outside air if house is tight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    You need a mini split

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by kra2y View Post
    You need a mini split
    X2
    Can someone please explain to me -
    Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but plenty of time to do it twice?

Please view site rules: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=1241

Apply for Pro Membership: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=116113

Find your local HVAC-Talk Contractor: http://hvac-talk.com/aop