Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Likes

Removing used walk-ins - worth it ?

I used to have a business which bought and sold used refrigeration equipment. My partner was a liar and thief. When I wrapped up the business there were two boxes left: a 6 by 10 by 8 freezer and a 6 by 10 by 7' 40º unit. Although that one had a floor as well. Both had evaps with them.

I installed them in the far back of a pizza shop along with new (generous <g>) condensing units on the roof.

That shop had a fire in the front dining room and the landlord is apparently not going to fix the building so the pie shop is closed. I think the actual lease has already ended as of last month.

The pie shop owner has offered me the equipment back. I did go over and pull the condensing units off the roof but I'm hesitating this morning about the actual boxes.

Thinking: it's kind of tedious pulling them apart, especially by myself - then I have to haul them somewhere, store them somewhere (that I really don't have), find a buyer for them, and how much are they worth, really?

What would you all do?
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

Post Likes
    In good condition would fetch about 1k.
    I'm presently looking for a 8 x10 freezer.

Post Likes
    Can you manage with a 6 by 10 by 8 ? If so; I know where you can get a solid one. I think I went with a 3 HP Trenton condensing unit - but it might be a 2 1/2 HP.

PHM
    ------------

Quote Originally Posted by VTP99 View Post
    In good condition would fetch about 1k.
    I'm presently looking for a 8 x10 freezer.
    PHM
    --------

Post Likes
    I rarely find them in good condition, most are barely salvageable. I don’t think they fetch a lot of money either. But, if the panels aren’t solid blocks of ice and the cams (or most of them anyway) work, then I would have a go at it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Poodle Head Mikey View Post
    Can you manage with a 6 by 10 by 8 ? If so; I know where you can get a solid one. I think I went with a 3 HP Trenton condensing unit - but it might be a 2 1/2 HP.

PHM
    ------------
    Is it located in New Jersey or Florida ?

Post Likes
    In this salt air environment after 5 or so years most of the cam locks are rusted shut and have to be cut!

Post Likes
    Both boxes have a floor. Both are in NJ.

PHM
    ----------

Quote Originally Posted by VTP99 View Post
    Is it located in New Jersey or Florida ?
    PHM
    --------

Post Likes
    Shipping would be the deal killer most likely.

Post Likes
    If you could find someone to take them would you let them go?
    I have a bunch of hunting buddies that would maybe be interested.
    Usually the market for used boxes is slim. Plus they never seem to come apart very well. I guess cam locks weren’t designed for more then a use or two.
    Any fire/smoke damage.
    “I haven’t failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” - Thomas Edison

“It’s not whether you get knocked down, it’s whether you get up.” - Vince Lombardi

"In this house we obey the laws of thermodynamics" - Homer Simpson

Local 486

Post Likes
    The cooler box you might be able to sell off but it’s going to stink out wherever you store it. The freezer I wouldn’t sell. I wouldn’t want someone calling me about their box panels separating and growing ice

Post Likes
    PHM,I just got involved in re-locating a (approx) 28' x 15' x 10' WIR BBeer(me) ,(approx) 100' away.

Post Likes
    PHM, I talked to a buddy of mine. He’s willing to drive to NJ to pick up both boxes if your getting rid of them.
    “I haven’t failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” - Thomas Edison

“It’s not whether you get knocked down, it’s whether you get up.” - Vince Lombardi

"In this house we obey the laws of thermodynamics" - Homer Simpson

Local 486

Post Likes
    Done,

I have a flight to Florida on Tuesday. But he can pull them down any time up to 4-18-19. Before Tuesday I'll even help him.

There are zero problems with the cam locks.

PHM
    -----------------

Quote Originally Posted by rider77 View Post
    PHM, I talked to a buddy of mine. He’s willing to drive to NJ to pick up both boxes if your getting rid of them.
    PHM
    --------

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast