Post Likes

Dielectric union vs brass adapters

I have been seeing brass male propress adapters connected to black unions lately. Is this an acceptable practice now? I was always taught to use a dielectric union in this application. This piping is used for boiler hot water.

Sent from my ASUS_P00J using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    i will bite , obviously no black pipe being used for the water. I have only seen dielectric unions on the water side.

and as far as the gas line i believe you can use dissimilar metals.
    Sent from the van with the a/c on.

Post Likes
    Not necessary in a closed loop

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Spitz View Post
    Not necessary in a closed loop

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Dielectric unions are not necessary on a closed loop system? All of the commercial sites that I am on use them.
    Is this something specified by engineers or required by code?

Sent from my VS501 using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Lots of different opinions on this. I believe dialectic breaks between copper and steel ARE needed in a closed boiler/chiller system. I have been taught that if using brass fittings between the copper and steel to accomplish this, the brass should be at least 4" long.

I don't like dielectric unions because they tend to be a weak link that will end up leaking. The brass propress adapter screwed into a black union might not provide a long enough break between the steel and the copper, but it's better than screwing copper right into the steel, and it's probably better than using a dielectric union that has a high possibility of leaking.

If I were doing it, I would use the black union with a short brass nipple, going to a brass coupling, going to the brass propress male adapter.

Or I might do the black union with the brass nipple going to a brass propress female adapter, but I try to avoid female adapters if I can help it because they seem to leak often too. The brass propress female adapters are better than normal copper female adapters though. I avoid copper female adapters at all costs whenever possible.

Another solution would be to incorporate a brass ball valve as the dielectric break. For example, a black threaded union going to a short black nipple going to a threaded brass ball valve with a brass or copper male adapter screwed into it. I think that would be alright too.
    If at First You Don't Succeed, Skydiving Is Not for You.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ammoniadog View Post
    Lots of different opinions on this. I believe dialectic breaks between copper and steel ARE needed in a closed boiler/chiller system. I have been taught that if using brass fittings between the copper and steel to accomplish this, the brass should be at least 4" long.

I don't like dielectric unions because they tend to be a weak link that will end up leaking. The brass propress adapter screwed into a black union might not provide a long enough break between the steel and the copper, but it's better than screwing copper right into the steel, and it's probably better than using a dielectric union that has a high possibility of leaking.

If I were doing it, I would use the black union with a short brass nipple, going to a brass coupling, going to the brass propress male adapter.

Or I might do the black union with the brass nipple going to a brass propress female adapter, but I try to avoid female adapters if I can help it because they seem to leak often too. The brass propress female adapters are better than normal copper female adapters though. I avoid copper female adapters at all costs whenever possible.

Another solution would be to incorporate a brass ball valve as the dielectric break. For example, a black threaded union going to a short black nipple going to a threaded brass ball valve with a brass or copper male adapter screwed into it. I think that would be alright too.
    Thanks for your info.

Sent from my VS501 using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    I was taught to use dielectric nipples with a brass threaded union in heating water situations.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk