+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Trying To Clean Glass on Hunter HF30 Fireplace insert

Post Likes

Smile Trying To Clean Glass on Hunter HF30 Fireplace insert

...this is one of those inserts where the pane is a Bay Window type.

Anyway, I'm trying to get the glass off...looking at the manual...following instructions to first remove the two screws to loosen the grill. Check. Next instruction is to loosen two screws at the top of the glass. Check. Final instruction is to "lift glass up and out" and proceed to the actual cleaning. My problem is here...the top of the glass is free and clear and not encumbered...however, the bottom is somehow stuck (or perhaps still attached in some way) and I cannot remove the glass unit to clean. I wonder if the "Bay Window" glass has anything to do with this. In any case, this is frustrating.

If any of you guys would be kind enough to share your ideas, fire away.

Thanks a lot everybody, and have a good day.

Post Likes
    Put a little weasel p*ss on it. Maybe layer up a rag a couple of times, grip with two pairs of channel locks and pull straight up. Also when you do get it out some oven gel caustic soda will make get it perfect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Thanks a lot for the quick reply. I'm not the most mechanically inclined dude in the world...I'm not even the fourth most mechanically inclined dude in the world...so, would it be alright to just secure the channel lock pliers on each side and YANK straight up with maximum effort? I think this might be what you are suggesting. Kinda scares me, but I'll think about it. Thanks again and have a good evening.

Post Likes
    Just fake till you break it..I mean make it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Likes BALloyd liked this post.
    Post Likes

Post Likes

Brand is Hunter. Model is HFI 30 Gas Fireplace Insert

Quote Originally Posted by hearthman View Post
    make and model?
    Brand is Hunter (Was a Canadian brand. Can't find much on the Internet.
    It looks like it is no longer around). Model is HFI 30 Gas Fireplace Insert. I have the manual. Instructions for cleaning are very vague and for removing the glass are very brief and appear to be for a flat glass front and not the bay window glass that I have.

I released the two top screws to remove the grill. Then I removed the two screws at the top of the glass as per the manual. When I tried to pull on the glass it budges a little but I cannot get it completely disengaged and away from the firebox. There is nothing in the instructions about having to remove anything at the bottom although that is where it seems to be stuck. Purchased in 1999. I bought special glass cleaner for gas fireplaces. Now I'm stuck. I haven't yet put a lot of elbow greased into pulling on the glass because I wanted to be sure that there wasn't anything impeding it first. Don't want to break it. I'd call the local company that installed it but they are no longer in business.

Post Likes
    Sorry man but based upon what you've described I don't see how to help. Really wish I could. Shop around the Nat'l Fireplace Inst. at nficertified dot org to find a local tech certified in gas. Hopefully, you'll find someone who can help.

Post Likes
    With the bay it was always easier to remove the left and right bottom louvers to take the window on and off. They are held in place with a friction clip. Just pull them straight out. The bay has a couple of tabs that fit into slots on the piece that covers the valve. Otherwise you were doing it right.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in