Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Likes
    It does make me wonder what the "stuff in the environment" is exactly? <g>

If my evaporator coils don't like it . . . . maybe I shouldn't like it either? <g>

If I had the DSS issue I think I would prefer to get rid of the cause rather than the symptom.

PHM
    -----------

Quote Originally Posted by BNME8EZ View Post
    As I understand it is the environment in the space that is the cause. The coating creates a barrier if you will that prevents the stuff in the environment from building up on the coil.
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

Post Likes
    I had one customer have this issue. Elderly couple, she had bad allergies to almost everything, used all unscented cleaners etc, and she kept the house clean to keep the allergies down. The old system had a leak of 1-2 lb R-22 a year and at times that would give her migraines. They finally replaced the system elec furnace with A/C with a heat pump/air handler. 4 years later she would get headaches when the system went into defrost, wasn't a issue the summer before. I go out and can just barely get a whiff of and odor but it is driving her nuts. I got he service rep involved, he approved the coated replacement coil, it was replaced and they never had the issue after. Who knows how much it would cost to get that environment analysed to find the cause not to mention getting rid of it. As I understand it is various molds and organic particles that build up on the coil and when the coil gets wet they "bloom" which is when you get the smell.

As a side note, my 2013 car does it the first few time you turn on the A/C then it is fine the rest of the summer. Go figure!

Post Likes
    For your car you can go to Auto Zone, or the like, and get one of their 'gets the smoker smell out' kits and set it off in the car.

It is astonishing - after you later air out the car out you literally cannot smell even a hint of any previous odors.

I wonder if there isn't a bigger version for houses? <g>

PHM
    -----------

Quote Originally Posted by BNME8EZ View Post
    I had one customer have this issue. Elderly couple, she had bad allergies to almost everything, used all unscented cleaners etc, and she kept the house clean to keep the allergies down. The old system had a leak of 1-2 lb R-22 a year and at times that would give her migraines. They finally replaced the system elec furnace with A/C with a heat pump/air handler. 4 years later she would get headaches when the system went into defrost, wasn't a issue the summer before. I go out and can just barely get a whiff of and odor but it is driving her nuts. I got he service rep involved, he approved the coated replacement coil, it was replaced and they never had the issue after. Who knows how much it would cost to get that environment analysed to find the cause not to mention getting rid of it. As I understand it is various molds and organic particles that build up on the coil and when the coil gets wet they "bloom" which is when you get the smell.

As a side note, my 2013 car does it the first few time you turn on the A/C then it is fine the rest of the summer. Go figure!
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12