Post Likes

Prevailing Wage Classification

I am currently working on a job in the state of Virginia ( D-B Prevailing Wage ) installing EMT , wire , and temperature controls for a Coast Guard project. The company that I work for ( an employee of ) is doing the entire mechanical scope ( sheet metal , RTU's , associated controls ). The have my pay rate classified as " pipe fitter " and not " electrician ". The pay difference is not enough for me to worry about , at this point it's just the sake of the argument for me. What " spin " would allow the company to class me as a pipe fitter and not electrical ? I do not hold any actual licensing for electrical and I don't believe the company does either , that is the only reason that I can think of. Thanks for replies.

Post Likes
    In CA back in the day I was classified as PF for federal work and comm tech for state when installing HVAC controls. A co-worker asked the inspector on a AF base if our conduit required a 1" in 12" fall and the inspector just gave us a WTF look.

Here is another recent thread:
    https://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread...DC-Technicians

Also if we were doing lighting controls we were clasdified as EJ on federal projects.

kontrol out
    "Good" - Jocko
    "Open is as open does." - Forrest Gump
    "Can't we all just get a Lon?" - Garry Jack
    "BACnet: integration or interrogation?" - The Janitor
    "Interoperability? You can't handle interoperability!" - Nathan R. Jessup
    “What’s that? Aaa… open protocols? Don’t talk about…. open protocols? Are you kidding me? Open protocols? I just hope we can hardwire an interface!” - Jim Mora Watch it here!

Post Likes
    Certified payroll can be a royal pain in the ass. If there isn't enough work to justify the different classifications, then it isn't uncommon for a company to only declare and certify 1 or 2 rates on a job. If the inspector and job auditor are sticklers, then that is different. But on normal state/federal jobs, you try and declare as few rates as possible to reduce the mountain of paperwork.

That may not be the case with you, but depending on the size of the company, it can eat up manhours in accounting trying to get it all together for certification.

Post Likes
    I believe that UA via Local 250 has the call on BACS work in Southern California and the SMW union (not sure through which local) has the call in Northern California.
    We're working something big in Arizona, Advanced Controls Techs would be matched to Heavy Commercial HVAC Techs paywise.

Sent from my LG-M327 using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    When I worked for a East Bay union shop in the San Francisco area the field control personnel were from the PF union. Three of the senior guys at the time taught at the hall.

kontrol out
    "Good" - Jocko
    "Open is as open does." - Forrest Gump
    "Can't we all just get a Lon?" - Garry Jack
    "BACnet: integration or interrogation?" - The Janitor
    "Interoperability? You can't handle interoperability!" - Nathan R. Jessup
    “What’s that? Aaa… open protocols? Don’t talk about…. open protocols? Are you kidding me? Open protocols? I just hope we can hardwire an interface!” - Jim Mora Watch it here!

Post Likes
    Do your own research. This is all public info albeit a typical governmental headache. Info is still typically available as complicated as they may make it.. Can't make heads or tails, talk with the AHJ. Some areas have TC install specific rates that fall under electrical, so its not unheard of. Local areas vary wildly.

When it comes to pay...you are your own best advocate. Read up, make calls, etc. Under no case expect others to be in your best interest.
    Propagating the formula. http://www.noagendashow.com/

Post Likes
    From my memory, the pneumatic controls were pipe fitter's work. As things transitioned, the Pipe fitters retained the HVAC controls as their work. Somewhere along the line a compromise was reached around here that either trade could do it. Our company still uses the pipe fitter rate. There is also a Data wiring rate under electrician that is less money than either fitter or electrician. Control work is not data work, though the work description matches up closely to what the installer actually does.

Post Likes
    Thanks for the replies , I guess there is more flexibility on this than I was thinking.

There is a horizontal run near the construction office I think I'll " counter-flow or bend a siphon , ha ha.