+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ice machine or heat pump?

Post Likes

Ice machine or heat pump?

I posted under Wall of Pride because it was still working when I found it. Seriously, the OA fan was frozen in place, the entire system was encapsulated in ice as you can see, the service panel was frozen over & in place & yet the compressor (original) was still running & producing heat. It's an original Rheem with the mechanical defrost control. I never got a trouble call from the tenant. I just noticed it on inspection. I turned it off for 10 days & still had a large ice cube in the belly pan which was too heavy to lift out. The fan started right up & it is now in the cooling mode running like new. The system is about 30 years old now. I have a defrost control on order but we are into mainly cooling now so not that much of a rush. Who says the old systems weren't built better! Can't believe the thing continued to run with no Name:  20190306_110324.jpg
Views: 948
Size:  102.2 KBName:  20190306_110328.jpg
Views: 959
Size:  101.7 KBdamage at all.
    "The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers it can bribe the public with the public's own money.
    - Alexis de Toqueville, 1835

Post Likes
    The paint looks in pretty good shape also for 30+ years..

Post Likes
    Wow, that is amazing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    I had one like that a few years ago in the middle of winter, but not producing much heat. Could not get the panel off to force defrost. Tried my heat gun, but that was going to take unitil spring. I hooked ip a water hose to his gas fired water heater and drained it a few times to melt all the ice.

It was a bad defrost sensor.
    Can someone please explain to me -
    Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but plenty of time to do it twice?

Please view site rules: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=1241

Apply for Pro Membership: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=116113

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by joemach View Post
    I had one like that a few years ago in the middle of winter, but not producing much heat. Could not get the panel off to force defrost. Tried my heat gun, but that was going to take unitil spring. I hooked ip a water hose to his gas fired water heater and drained it a few times to melt all the ice.

It was a bad defrost sensor.
    That's going to take a lot of Scotch to cover that cube!

Post Likes
    Use to carry a kerosene salamander type heater for RTU work, ( believe it was a 35 K ) and use it if we where up there for a while on bitter cold days to stay warm. Use to use it to defrost HP coils like this one also, moving it around every so often. Don't remember getting one that bad thou....

Post Likes
    The older stuff could sure take a beating.
    A newer (insert manufacturer here) couldn’t handle something like that.

I’m so glad I live in Florida. Anything below 60 to me is freezing. Mad respect to you guys that go out in those freezing temps.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pecmsg View Post
    That's going to take a lot of Scotch to cover that cube!
    LOL went to Hoshizaki school today and learned about a cuber that made a 3” X 3” X 3.25” cube for scotch, my first thought just now was, “How big is the glass that would handle that cube?” When I seen the frozen condenser

Post Likes
    It really is a shame how quality has taken the back seat

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in