+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Stuff you hear in the Supply house

Post Likes

Stuff you hear in the Supply house

Let’s hear the funniest craziest stuff you hear from guys in the Supply house.

Mine for today: I was talking to my favorite counter guy about a massively oversized unit I was working on. Old man rivers next to me states he always installs a 1/2 ton bigger than what is currently in place. Says all the units are undersized and his customers love the way the new ones cool.
    Then proceeds to tell me he did one recently where he pulled a 1.5 ton out and installed a 3. Lady called to say her unit never worked that well...... said he couldn’t believe people would put such small units in these houses. Also said load calcs are a dog and pony show created by Sears to make sales presentations and help close deals. It’s shows the customer how much attention they pay to details therefor the customer falls in love with them.
    I didn’t bother asking what the static was after he adjust the fan for three tons. I was in to much shock and disbelief to say anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Likes ChuckDe liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I heard the Asian guy next to me arguing with counter guy he needs larger Btu condensing unit on his walkin cooler because this one cant keep up in summer , the evap was 9000 Btu and Condenser was only 10,000 Btu , he insisted he gets 18,000 Btu condenser and the evap will be just fine because he can adjust the Txv stem anywheres he wants ....

The counter guy was just staring at him in awe .... but he sold it to him anyhow lol

Post Likes
    I have never been on the other side of the counter so I can’t compare, but those guys have to be amazed on a daily basis the stuff they hear.

I’m at the point now I will say my piece, if they still think they need different, I will either walk away or have them sign off I am against it and I will not warranty it.

One time I replaced something on a 18 month old furnace. One of the worst installs I have ever seen. Place went lowest bidder and got just that. Company didn’t even come back during one year warranty period. Anyhow, I charged the place for the parts and said I can’t in good faith as for manu warranty when the problem was clearly install error.

Even after that I was able to keep that building as a customer.

Post Likes
    Some counter people know a little about a lot. Hopefully they don't repeat these things as facts to others.

I don't stay in the supply house long enough to engage in that non-sense with the hack-a-sauruses.
    I also act like (to other techs I don't know) that I don't know anything if someone asks me a question. Oil question, I don't do oil. Gas question, I only do oil, etc.
    If I do a job in 30 minutes it's because I spent 30 years learning how to do that in 30 minutes. You owe me for the years, not the minutes.

Helpful Calcs, tips, tricks on my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgm...TUTAdKmqRiTDEg

6. Likes shavedneon, Zamoramax liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Hahahaha ^^^ I do the same thing!
    I see a lot of homeowner/business owners trying to buy equipment .. seems when industry guys are around they say no and start asking everyone in there if they do side work.
    Guarantee when techs are not around they sell to these guys. Saw a mini van getting loaded once figure it was a side job then the guy that got in to drive had flip flops on, definitely a homeowner.

Post Likes
    I’ve done both scary part is some ho are more knowledgeable than the techs. They researched asked questions, and care because it’s their house,electric bill,and comfort. One story of many a guy from a well known hvac commercial cooking outfit swore that just use a recovery machine no cents in bringing vac pump since they both pull vacuum.
    Honeywell you can buy better but you cant pay more

I told my wife when i die to sell my fishing stuff for what its worth not what i told her i paid for it

Post Likes
    Both sides of the counter for me. What I've learned being behind the counter? I don't know shit about the industry. Neither do any of you guys.
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Why is it that those who complain the most contribute the least?
    MONEY CAN'T BUY HAPPINESS. POVERTY CAN'T BUY ANYTHING

10. Likes Core_d, Turtleman liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I got a couple a good ones. One was i good while back shortly after i just started. Granted this was country supply house. Nearest town was bloomingburg, population 900. I inquired about a psychrometer and one of the guys chit chatting there said “ Is that how you get your supercooln?”

This one was recent. Guy walked in —— and had homeowner writen all over his face, asked for some part or something. Counter guy told him he needed to be a contractor and have an account. Guy said “whats it take to get a license and a account?” Forget the dialog but it worked into give me $150 cash and you can buy whatever you want lol

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by 2sac View Post
    Both sides of the counter for me. What I've learned being behind the counter? I don't know shit about the industry. Neither do any of you guys.
    Honeywell you can buy better but you cant pay more

I told my wife when i die to sell my fishing stuff for what its worth not what i told her i paid for it

Post Likes
    The ones I like best are the drunks. I went to the auto parts store a while back and a little old drunk was there telling everyone how good friends he and the owner were. He went through a list of what all he would do for his friend and finished with "if you have any widers that need taken care of I'll take care of that too". He obviously couldn't but it made a good story.
    No man can be both ignorant and free.
    Thomas Jefferson

Post Likes
    Watched a homeowner come in and buy a high limit for his furnace on his buddy's plumbing account. Went on and on about how cheap they make these things, they just keep failing! Looked over at the limit on the counter he brought in, it was baked. I just told him he should probably have someone who knows what they're doing take a look at that furnace, he proudly told me he's been changing them out himself for years, the last couple haven't lasted nearly as long as the first ones but he knows this will fix it for now...

The other one was a guy I haven't figured out how he gets jobs. He's not licensed, not insured, I don't even think he has a company name, but he's been doing this longer than I've been alive, as he told me one day. Thinks all heat pumps are junk. But I laughed the day he was bragging to another tech about the job he was working on. "It's a 120k furnace and a 5 ton AC, so you know you gotta start with big duct! So I started with 24x8 and took a few runs off and took it down to 20x8, then 16x8, then 12x8...." etc. I fought the urge to ask what his target TESP was.
    "If common sense was so common, everyone would have it."

15. Likes icy78, CoolShowers liked this post.
    Post Likes
    This guy comes in a shopping cart with a r tank and oxygen hose feeling his nose with 4 empties, purchased the 4 refills and left. Ask the counter guy about the sale told me he comes in every 4 days it for his torch! Ok

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in