View Poll Results: Which heating/cooling setup should I get?

Voters
1. You may not vote on this poll
  • Oil Furnace/Central Heat Pump - keep duct work

0 0%
  • Oil Furnace/Central Heat Pump - replace duct work

1 100.00%
  • Hydro Air/Central Heat Pump - keep duct work

0 0%
  • Hydro Air/Central Heat Pump - replace duct work

0 0%
    Post Likes

Need a new Heating and Cooling System. What would your ideal setup be?

So we're in the process of replacing our oil furnace, central AC, and possibly our direct-fired oil hot water heater. Our house was built in 1998, and we live in Massachusetts. We've gotten several quotes from local companies, all of which vary in equipment, depth of upgrade, cost etc.

Basically in the research I've done, it makes sense to get a central heat pump as a replacement for the central AC. It would be nice to have the flexibility of using the heat pump for heat in the spring and fall months, vs the oil furnace.

I guess the main question I've been struggling with is whether or not its worth it to go from a furnace setup to a hydro-air setup (oil boiler + air handler + indirect water heater). What are your thoughts?

Our ductwork is also less than ideal as well, it's a lot of flexible tubing in the basement, with bunches, dips etc, and there's one register that is off of both zones that blows out air 5x the force of the other vents. I've struggled with whether or not its worth it to replace the ducting as well, as some contractors have said sure it would be good, and others have said I wouldn't get the value back vs the cost.

Any tips/thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Post Likes
    The Equipment you choose must be sized to the heat load / loss of the building. Manual J
    The ducts are then sized to the Equipment Manual D

Post Likes
    Fixing and making sure ductwork is sized right and fix problems. I don't see putting in a boiler to have hydro air though certainly worth getting a price to go that way so you have 1 oil burner to maintain not 2.

Post Likes
    Ideal set-up =
    ______ _ _ _ Lowest Life Cycle Cost + MORE THAN ADEQUATE COMFORT \

KISS
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Post Likes
    Something by AAON or Liebert

Post Likes
    Thanks for the replies, I think I'm leaning towards the furnace + central heat pump option. We already have a new direct fired water heater that was installed on October of last year, so it would be a waste to get rid of that for an indirect (if we went the hydro air route). It seems from the quotes I've gotten, its about $8000 more for the hydro-air solution vs the furnace.

Due to finances, we'd only be able to look at replacing the ductwork if we went the furnace route, the hydro air solution would be too expensive