+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Air properties in a closed (art) niche

Post Likes

Air properties in a closed (art) niche

Dear all,

What are air properties and how it varies in a completely tight box without infiltration points - for example, art niche where art pieces are kept inside?

Talking about art niches, is it required to supply outdoor air for air change?

Thanks.

Post Likes
    A "completely tight box without infiltration points" has no air changes. For art I'd assume humidity control and UV exposure are more important.
    If I do a job in 30 minutes it's because I spent 30 years learning how to do that in 30 minutes. You owe me for the years, not the minutes.

Helpful Calcs, tips, tricks on my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgm...TUTAdKmqRiTDEg

Post Likes
    I don't know what an art niche is. If you mean a storage place for art, what kind of art?
    Any art that might be affected by not having a controlled environment has special requirements. Light, humidity, temperature etc. I know of 2 such places and they are very fussy. Systems plus backup.
    We are here on Earth to fart around ......Kurt Vonnegut

You can be anything you want......As long as you don't suck at it.

USAF 98 Bomb Wing 1960-66 SMW Lu49

Post Likes
    Curious question. I would have to believe that artifacts from King Tuts Tomb, or the Mona Lisa, or artifacts from the Titanic or gold and silver coinage would have different environmental requirements.

Care to elaborate with a little more detail, it what make responding a little more easy

Post Likes
    When starting up the new addition to the st. louis art museum it was super critical temp and humidity. They waited 60 days before they moved any art in the space. So i agree with answer man it all depends what the art is worth.

Post Likes
    It is a 4 m³ box that stores a Saint sculpture made of out clay.

Its indoor conditions must be maintained at 20-22°C / 40-50% RH.

I wonder what is the latent heat gain and what's the air properties behavior in this case in order to size humidity control system - I can only see infiltration through return duct and have not considered infiltration through box, although it may exist but its really minimum because it's a really tight box.

Post Likes
    Ok we're not communucating here.

Indoor conditions: 20 - 22C / 40-50 Rh. Is this the condition inside the box or condition of the room the box is in?

Got it there is a statue inside and air tight box.

So what latent heat the statue in inanamate and gives off no heat or gasses. Once the staue goes inside the box and is sealed inside the gas should remian relatively unchanged (air quality and Humidity). Granted as the temperature outside the box changes this will have an effect on temperature (and very minor effect on humidity) inside the box. What I see you asking is how do you control the ambient area outside the box, because there in nothing inside the box to cause a change.

Therefore you need to account for the heat the lights will add, How many people per hour, day, week will go through, is the room around the statues box a room within a room or building that is also conditioned. Again just from what you have offered I think you need to account for what heat the display lights will add and the heat & humidity any bodies in the room will add.

Good Luck

Post Likes
    Time for an engineer. No way I am taking on this liability.

Post Likes
    There's people who specialize in this. It's quite easy for them as they have it all figured out and aren't getting spoon fed bits of information.
    Quicker and easier would be to call your nearest Art Museum and get a referral.
    If I do a job in 30 minutes it's because I spent 30 years learning how to do that in 30 minutes. You owe me for the years, not the minutes.

Helpful Calcs, tips, tricks on my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgm...TUTAdKmqRiTDEg

Post Likes
    Valuable stuff, including electronics, and art/antique stuff kept in the open must be in a controlled environment including testing of the air to see what compounds may be present. For small art/antique items that are out of the sun & in a controlled environment & are subject to rotting or spoiling of the material may be kept in a vacuum seal container.
    "The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers it can bribe the public with the public's own money.
    - Alexis de Toqueville, 1835

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in