Post Likes

Cannot Find My Sight Glasses

I am working on a Copelametic MRF2-0500-TFC (Serial 88C 78924) semi-hermetic that has a cracked sight glass. I need to get a replacement sight glass, but this compressor (circa 1988) does not use a newer three-bolt flange-mounted window but instead uses an older four-bolt flange that clamps onto a separate glass window and two O-rings front and back of the window. I cannot find just a glass window, without the fused metal flange, specifically for this compressor. I could pull out the cracked window and measure it to buy a window from a glass shop or to machine a metal plug, but the existing cracked window still seals with no leakage. I can't trust the window to remain sealed. Does anyone know the diameter and thickness of an old Copeland sight glass window (it looks about 1.75 in dia.) so I could order a glass shop replacement, before removal of the cracked window, to minimize downtime? Thanks.

Post Likes
    Any authorized Copeland Distributer will be able to order one.

Is it leaking? Cant say I've ever seen one crack that's a thick piece of glass!

Post Likes
    Didn't Copeland use the comp "dead eye" that was held in place by a threaded metal ring with two "slots" for a square metal "tool" for tightening/loosening the glass?

Post Likes
    Maybe I should post a photo of the custom sight glass removal tool I made decades ago. It's super sophisticated, not sure anyone here will be able to figure it out. Let me walk out to the garage . . .
    If you were a real tech, you'd solder a relay on that board and call it good to go.

I do a triple evac with nitro to remove non condensables.

I use 56% silver on everything except steel.

Post Likes
    I carry my tool on the truck,,,,,

Post Likes
    To remove a sight glass in something like a Copeland compressor, you need to get some good steel. Like from the rails on your bed frame.

Or some one else's bed frame.

Then grind it down like this:

Name:  20190316_134502.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  62.5 KB

Quote Originally Posted by TechmanTerry View Post
    I carry my tool on the truck,,,,,
    If you were a real tech, you'd solder a relay on that board and call it good to go.

Post Likes
    Yes, this is rocket science. LOL !!!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BBeerme View Post
    Yes, this is rocket science. LOL !!!
    Good thing you got that high tensile strength bed frame steel under you while your dreaming lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    I was in a bind once and ended up hack sawing an 1/8" or so from a gasket scraper. With its square shaft, it was easy to turn with a wrench. Had a beautiful translucent yellow handle too. Thats a while ago, now i have the socket for the job. Prob only used it twice in 5 years tho.
    Still have the gasket scraper.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk