Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Likes

CO2 heat pump split systems for hot water heat

Has anybody had experience with CO2 heat pump split systems for base board heat?
    In particular the SANDEN systems.

2. Likes Sammy77 liked this post
    Post Likes
    Not with hot water heat, but i have the model that heats my hot water.
    UA Local 32

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by buford View Post
    A co2 system or 134a?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes

Sanden CO2 water heater

Quote Originally Posted by buford View Post
    Thanks for the reply. Is it a Sanden and are you happy with it? How maney people dose it serve?

Post Likes
    My sanden model uses co2 and has a 40 or 42 gal storage tank serving 3 people. They do make a newer model that heats the water up to the 170s temp range and can be used in heating applications following the company's recommendations on piping and sizing. Have had one issue at under 20 deg temps that i am working on that freezes up the water pump. Working with John Miles on this to get resolved. The outdoor unit is very quiet and the recovering rate is more than adequate for my use. I may upgrade to the newer unit if this is what it takes to get rid of the freeze up issue. I researched these and bought it at a local distributor that had a training class on them and got a slight discount on it being at the class. Although the cost is a little high, the warranty is great and the quality of the tank and outdoor unit very good and i believe the payback will be good. I did miss out on my utility rebate as the time i bought it was not listed as a approved unit. Since then the rebate is 500$ plus the federal tax credit.
    UA Local 32

Post Likes
    This is a CO2 split system made by SANDEN. They advertise both domestic hot water and whole house baseboard and radiant heat systems. They claim that the split system for heating can produce and supply hot water at approx. 190 Fahrenheit.
    The ad sounds good, but before I start selling them I would like to hear from somebody that has experience with installing and running one.

Post Likes
    Thanks Buford, that was helpful. Am i to understand that the water pump is located in the outside unit?
    Sorry you missed out on the rebate What part of the country are you in?

Post Likes
    Yes the pump is in the outdoor unit, variable speed. You just run 1/2 inch water lines to the indoor tank. Just north of Seattle is where i roost at.
    UA Local 32

Post Likes
    The only thing i would like to see on mine would be a remote panel to monitor operation. Had 3 times it froze and being out there thawing it out when below 20 deg with no hot water is no fun. Hopefully the warranty will get this fixed, as i have no need for hotter water and more capacity. I would contact a supplier to see if you could see a new installation as they now use them in multi family type applications.
    UA Local 32

Post Likes
    Thanks again Buford, you be a help.

Post Likes
    I was not aware they had any residential co2 systems? Whats stoping them from using it for cooling purposes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    The same brand makes units for c-store walk ins i believe, as i remember it was up to 95 deg outdoor temp then some other refrigerant helped out.
    UA Local 32

Post Likes
    I thought some car makers were using co2 for the a/c. Seems like u would have very hi pressure there also.
    UA Local 32

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast