Post Likes

Mice and crossover duct

Hi I have a double wide manufactured home and have been dealing with mice getting in through my crossover duct (according to HVAC tech over the phone) he wanted to charge $ to replace with a metal duct.

Do metal ones for sure keep mice out of them? Is this something I can have my husband just buy himself and put up or is it that complex that I will need a pro? Thank you
    Last edited by beenthere; 03-15-2019 at 06:10 AM.

Post Likes
    Welcome to Hvac-Talk.

Ah yes, the old Crossover Air Duct, that has plagued Manufactured Home Owners for Years. It should be Metal, or at least, Metal Clad, (imo). I doubt if you get answers as to your Hubbies Qualifications to do the work, as we have no idea as to his Mechanical Skills. I cannot advise you about the Cost either, but can advise you to shop around and get some more bids to compare. Standby as others will have more input for you, and Good Luck!

PS>I like the Black Cat glue traps, for the little critters myself! What about You?

Post Likes
    Can’t discuss pricing but we always replace crossovers with metal

Post Likes
    If your husband hasn’t installed a metal crossover duct or ductwork in general before I would have a contractor install. The area under those homes is usually incredibly tight and you never know what was installed or how previously so watching a YouTube video or similar to figure it out is pointless.

I’ve personally been stuck under a double wide for hours because someone put something in incorrectly or that shouldn’t have been there. Or because of the lack of room or the headache involved in installing or repairing.

I agree that you should shop around, get some competing quotes to make sure your in the ballpark. Let a pro handle the headache under there once you get that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Go metal. Have a pro do it. Easy cheesy.

Post Likes
    you have a rodent problem not a duct problem, or at least no duct problem til the rodents showed up

Post Likes
    Moved to AOP.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?