Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Likes

adding a 2nd condensor?

I will likely get flamed for this question but here it goes anyway. I am not an ac expert but know enough to get in trouble...

I have a hot rod car. it is boosted and uses an air to water(antifreeze) intercooler. I have something they call an "interchiller" that cools the water using the factory ac system. once the water is cool it then pumps the cold water through the air to water intercooler and results in much cooler intake air temps into the engine. not sure if these are the right terms but the "interchiller" seems to be nothing more than an expansion valve and a heat exchanger. there are also some pumps and a storage for the cold fluid. the system is plumped in parallel with the factory ac evaporator but has an electric solenoid to cut off the factory evaporator so all the cooling goes to the interchiller.

this leads to my hvac question. people have added a 2nd condenser and have seen substantial improvement in temps. minimum antifreeze temps before were around 30deg f but after adding the 2nd condenser they get all the way down to below 0deg f with much faster recovery times after a run. the people that have done this are not giving out the info on how they did it so I am left to figure it out on my own.

so, I want to add a 2nd condenser. it seems to me there are no special valves or orifices leading into or out of the condenser? would i want to plumb the 2nd condenser parallel to the factory condenser or in series or does it even matter?

when looking at condensers it looks like i can get ones that are plumbed in a long series or in parallel. any suggestion on which way to go on that?

is it harder than i am thinking or really this simple? it makes sense the colder the freon is before it enters the evaporator the more cooling it can do.

Post Likes
    Who are these people you speak of that have added a second condenser ?

Post Likes
    Following.
    The primary function of the design engineer is to make things difficult for the fabricator and impossible for the serviceman.

Post Likes
    Parallel or series piped will depend on how easy it is to get good air flow to the second condenser.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Post Likes
    Other car guys are doing this.

My car has 2 extra wing radiators that were installed by the factory to help when road racing, they are not needed for normal driving or drag racing. . My thoughts were to replace these with condensers. They will get decent and fresh air flow.

It seems like running the condensers in series would work best if there are now worries about impending the freon flow. Isn’t the expansion valve the largest resistance where a little more hose and another condenser really wouldn’t impede anything? If I ran the condensers parallel I am not sure how you would ensure that most of the freon didn’t just go through one condenser.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by parish8 View Post
    I will likely get flamed for this question but here it goes anyway. I am not an ac expert but know enough to get in trouble...

I have a hot rod car. it is boosted and uses an air to water(antifreeze) intercooler. I have something they call an "interchiller" that cools the water using the factory ac system. once the water is cool it then pumps the cold water through the air to water intercooler and results in much cooler intake air temps into the engine. not sure if these are the right terms but the "interchiller" seems to be nothing more than an expansion valve and a heat exchanger. there are also some pumps and a storage for the cold fluid. the system is plumped in parallel with the factory ac evaporator but has an electric solenoid to cut off the factory evaporator so all the cooling goes to the interchiller.

this leads to my hvac question. people have added a 2nd condenser and have seen substantial improvement in temps. minimum antifreeze temps before were around 30deg f but after adding the 2nd condenser they get all the way down to below 0deg f with much faster recovery times after a run. the people that have done this are not giving out the info on how they did it so I am left to figure it out on my own.

so, I want to add a 2nd condenser. it seems to me there are no special valves or orifices leading into or out of the condenser? would i want to plumb the 2nd condenser parallel to the factory condenser or in series or does it even matter?

when looking at condensers it looks like i can get ones that are plumbed in a long series or in parallel. any suggestion on which way to go on that?

is it harder than i am thinking or really this simple? it makes sense the colder the freon is before it enters the evaporator the more cooling it can do.
    What people?

Need documents not speculation or rumors!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by parish8 View Post
    Other car guys are doing this.

My car has 2 extra wing radiators that were installed by the factory to help when road racing, they are not needed for normal driving or drag racing. . My thoughts were to replace these with condensers. They will get decent and fresh air flow.

It seems like running the condensers in series would work best if there are now worries about impending the freon flow. Isn’t the expansion valve the largest resistance where a little more hose and another condenser really wouldn’t impede anything? If I ran the condensers parallel I am not sure how you would ensure that most of the freon didn’t just go through one condenser.
    Hello, and Welcome: Are these 2 winged radiators equipped with electric fan motors?

Post Likes
    I have no names or documents. I am here looking for some help on the general theory of it. Hvac has been around awhile, I am not looking for any trade secrets here.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by lzenglish View Post
    Hello, and Welcome: Are these 2 winged radiators equipped with electric fan motors?
    They do not but they will. Fans with shrouds covering the entire surface.

Most of the cool down period happens while the car is not moving so fans are required.

Post Likes
    I don't know why it could not be done however there will be limits. All A/C's work off of pressure drop, adding condenser space cools the refrigerant and lower pressure as a result. Lower it too far and the system will no longer work properly. This sounds like a question for PHM.

Post Likes
    What is the name & or model # of the a/c compressor you have, & or wanting to use?

Post Likes
    They sell high efficiency condensers, no need to reinvent the wheel.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by lzenglish View Post
    What is the name & or model # of the a/c compressor you have, & or wanting to use?
    It is a factory gm under hood compressor. If I got a part number would that tell anything? I have heard people say it is variable stroke.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast