+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Copeland EAL1-0200 with no oil pump

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldcas View Post
    Another "technician" got these parts, my company is asked to check and repair with those parts. My company is doing the job is been asked for and I'm looking in this thread if someone can confirm if lubrication pipe and spring are correctly assembled. No slugged, discharge and suction valves in perfect shape.
    Talk to @Remanworld!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by TechmanTerry View Post
    How long has this comp been running on MO49?
    Don't have that info as customer doesn't have any tracking or register of the equipment. All I know is it worked fine between -20°C to -10°C for several years (Is what customer says)

Post Likes
    I want to know how the splash lubrication system is assembled in this compressor. To be sure I'm not making any mistake because I don΄t know if it was properly assembled.
    The motor end thrust spring and plastic thrust washer are correct in the photo. The other side is three pieces. First to go in is the steel thrust washer with the two ears, then the thrust wave spring, then the thick steel piece with the hole in it. The hole goes out and engages the pin in the thrust cover plate, all are visible in the photos.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by remanworld View Post
    The motor end thrust spring and plastic thrust washer are correct in the photo. The other side is three pieces. First to go in is the steel thrust washer with the two ears, then the thrust wave spring, then the thick steel piece with the hole in it. The hole goes out and engages the pin in the thrust cover plate, all are visible in the photos.
    Thank you @Remanworld for that info. I'm checking the motor end and do not see a plastic thrust washer but a metallic one. Attached picture.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Post Likes
    Do you have to warranty that compressor when you're done rebuilding it?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Thank you @Remanworld for that info. I'm checking the motor end and do not see a plastic thrust washer but a metallic one. Attached picture.
    Sorry,
    It looked like the newer plastic style. Tap the tube back in, put the spring over it, then the thrust washer. It pushes the crankshaft toward the other thrust assembly which keeps the shaft centered in the body.

Post Likes
    Did you check the crankshaft bearings ?

Post Likes
    It would be interesting to see what the valves look like. A broken connecting rod like that would tell me liquid slugging. From the pictures, It doesn't look like there is any scoring on the pistons or wear surfaces.
    When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of the pain is felt by others.
    The same thing happens when you are stupid.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by rmuntz View Post
    It would be interesting to see what the valves look like. A broken connecting rod like that would tell me liquid slugging. From the pictures, It doesn't look like there is any scoring on the pistons or wear surfaces.
    And the main bearings. If they are worn the "rebuilt" compressor won't last.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by VTP99 View Post
    Did you check the crankshaft bearings ?
    Yes, they΄re slightly worn, the rotor is barely touching the winding case but not to make siginificant damage yet.

Post Likes
    Yes, they΄re slightly worn, the rotor is barely touching the winding case but not to make siginificant damage yet.
    No such thing as "barely touching" ANY touching will result in an electrical failure.

Post Likes
    @goldcas

I rebuilt Copeland’s for a few years in Denver. Learned a lot.
    I wouldn’t question Remanworld about his knowledge. He knows what he’s talking about.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by remanworld View Post
    And the main bearings. If they are worn the "rebuilt" compressor won't last.
    @remanworld Thanks for your replies, everything looks more clear now and have criteria to understand this problem, that's why these sites and threads are, I believe.

Regarding main bearings, I installed new ones.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pecmsg View Post
    I'm confident it was properly assembled!

How many have you rebuilt?

In the long run its cheaper to get a authorized remanufactured compressor!
    But not nearly as much fun and educational as fixing it yourself. Any mook can swap parts, Goldcas should be encouraged and helped in his endeavor, it will make him into a better mechanic.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
    But not nearly as much fun and educational as fixing it yourself. Any mook can swap parts, Goldcas should be encouraged and helped in his endeavor, it will make him into a better mechanic.
    Learning is one thing but learning at a customers expence with loss of food is another.

I base my statements on what the OP wrote. Seemingly a lack of knowledge in this aspect.

Post Likes
    Learning is one thing but learning at a customers expence with loss of food is another.

I base my statements on what the OP wrote. Seemingly a lack of knowledge in this aspect.
    What he said ^

Post Likes

I lack complete knowledge of everything too. That's why I ask questions.

Also the customer was involved in the decision so the part about food and costs is none of our concern, that was already decided.

Post Likes
    Asking questions is fine but also know your limitations.
    With connecting rods broken like that even an experienced rebuilder has to question “what else is bad.

I’ll change valve plates in the field but would never rebuild like that.

Post Likes
    Asking questions is fine but also know your limitations.
    With connecting rods broken like that even an experienced rebuilder has to question “what else is bad.

I’ll change valve plates in the field but would never rebuild like that.
    There is a clear distinction between "rebuilding" and "remanufacturing". I believe that this compressor has been repaired or rebuilt. Remanufacturing means that it is stripped down to bare casting and reassembled using new parts and no allowance for wear. Rebuilding is basically the same as repairing. You find the broken components and replace them, and everything else stays where it is. Many people can do a good job rebuilding, but it isn't the same as getting as remanufactured unit either from the OEM or one of the qualified aftermarket shops.

Post Likes
    know your limitations.
    Yeah boy, this is why I refuse some work.

For a good customer I may investigate something we don't normally work on (typically kitchen hot side), others are given a referral.

21. Likes icy78 liked this post.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in