Thread: Brand new heat pump install -engages aux heat periodically, never heat pump 2nd stage

Post Likes

Brand new heat pump install -engages aux heat periodically, never heat pump 2nd stage

New Bryant/Payne install last week. Using the Bryant Housewise thermostat

Problem is that the 1st stage runs, and if & when it doesn't keep up, the AUX heat engages for 5-10 minutes. So, this is keeping me comfortable, but I don't think it's working right.

If I didn't have an advanced thermostat, I'd never know.

Obviously under warranty, but my installer doesn't seem to know how to approach. His first move was to swap the thermostat, which as I expected, did nothing. The thermostat was basically installed with all default settings.

It would seem to me that there's either a setting being missed or somethings wired wrong.

Screenshot of the thermostat showing the issue: attached
    Name:  Capture.jpg
Views: 227
Size:  36.8 KB

Post Likes
    Pretty sad that the Installing Contractor is not firmilar with what they sell..OH well hopefully you have a labor warranty to solve your problem at the expense of the Contractor and a lesson for the Contractor...

If that's any indication of what their response is, hopefully and keep your fingers crossed your HVAC system was installed to manufacturer specifications.

Ask them for the AHRI certified reference number to prove a matched system was installed,...granted its after the fact but if they can not supply one.........

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Bazooka Joey View Post
    Pretty sad that the Installing Contractor is not firmilar with what they sell..OH well hopefully you have a labor warranty to solve your problem at the expense of the Contractor and a lession for the Contractor...

If that's any indication hopefully and keep your fingers crossed your HVAC system was installed to manufacturer specifications.

Ask them for the AHRI certified reference number to prove a matched system was installed,...granted its after the fact but if they can not supply one....
    Whats even sadder is the OP wouldn't know about it if it wasn't for the high tech controls!

Once again the installing contractor is the most important thing!

OP

Contact Bryant and get the entire install checked

https://www.bryant.com/bryant/en/us/

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pecmsg View Post
    Whats even sadder is the OP wouldn't know about it if it wasn't for the high tech controls!

Once again the installing contractor is the most important thing!

OP

Contact Bryant and get the entire install checked

https://www.bryant.com/bryant/en/us/
    Thinking about it.....yea your correct....

Hows the snowmobiling in your area up there in middle March?

Post Likes
    I do have an AHRI number, at least

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Bazooka Joey View Post
    Thinking about it.....yea your correct....

Hows the snowmobiling in your area up there in middle March?
    Im on Eastern LI

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by rickydz View Post
    I do have an AHRI number, at least
    Yea! That's great, some companies think homeowners are stupid and put in a system based on a rating of the OD unit thinking that is what they are getting and price accordingly, many homeowners are unaware that the indoor selection determines the final SEER, EER, and even HSPF if a Heat Pump is referenced...

I truly hope you get your questions answered before your labor warranty expires, don't be surprised if the Installing Contractor gets less happy to see you if your problem does not get resolved under the labor warranty period as it cuts into their profit margin... but if they are that stupid to not research the equipment they install they deserve it IMO...

Post Likes
    5 year labor warranty, no worries there. Installer is a family business open since 1953. Not worried about that end.

Just have the sense something's not right. On Another forum someone posited it's going into defrost mode when AUX heat is triggered. Dont know how I'd be able to observe if that's the case.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pecmsg View Post
    Im on Eastern LI
    My apologies...for some reason I got your town mixed up with southport, ....we are practically neighbors....

Post Likes
    5 year labor warranty, no worries there. Installer is a family business open since 1953. Not worried about that end.

Just have the sense something's not right. On Another forum someone posited it's going into defrost mode when AUX heat is triggered. Dont know how I'd be able to observe if that's the case.
    A typical Heat Pump electric heat system would consist of the 1st stage operates the HP if either the thermostat is raised up or the HP can not handle the load and the 2nd stage closes calling for your electric heat. It should not go into defrost when the 2nd stage heaters call, unless it's a freak incident that the defrost was goning to initiate at the same time the 2nd stage calls.

You can ask your questions to the Installing Contractor and have them come out to show you all your sequence of operation using a amp. probe and explaining everything to your satisfaction ( as that's the purpose of the labor warranty ) they can even simulate ( or start the defrost process and let the machine terminate the defrost on its own ) a defrost and show you if any part of your electric heat comes on...

Lastly turn your thermostat to emergency heat mode to double check that your electric heat is in fact coming on before your HP ever fails. If you do not feel any heat, time to call the Installing Contractors..

Post Likes

Looks like defrost intervals. Guessing this is happening at outdoor temps under 40°F.

Post Likes
    One way for a home owner to tell if it's in defrost is go outside and look at the fan. The compressor runs in defrost but not the outdoor fan .

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by martyinlincoln View Post
    One way for a home owner to tell if it's in defrost is go outside and look at the fan. The compressor runs in defrost but not the outdoor fan .
    Needs to do it while the aux heat is on though.

Post Likes
    Looking into thresholds.

Aux heat lockout was set at 70 deg.
    2nd stage delta set at 3 degrees
    Aux set to auto

Adjusted them to 30, auto, auto

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Looks like defrost intervals. Guessing this is happening at outdoor temps under 40°F.
    I agree with this ^^^^^. The time interval and duration seem more likely defrost related but it is hard to tell without knowing outdoor conditions.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in