Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Goodman any good

Post Likes
    Thanks for all the replies,

I most likely will hire the company with the Goodman unit. they are not on the self pay list of authorized dealers and certainly not a low ball company. They primarily sell Trane.

Post Likes
    Not so fast, so now they are telling me the specs call for 7/8. But they don't. They clearly list suction line for the 4 ton at 1 1/8"

But Bazooka Joe says not really a problem if suction line is undersized, depending on length. I thought I was supposed make sure this unit gets installed to manufacturer specs.

Post Likes
    These sizes are recommended for line lengths of 79 feet or less to obtain optimum performance. For alternate line sizing options or runs of more than 79 feet, refer to Remote Cooling Service Manual or TP-107 Long Line Set Application R-410A or contact your distributor for

Says " recommended", may want to contact Goodman directly via email or phone or both to see what they say before pulling the trigger. How hard is it to replace with 1 1/8" OD tubing? Run inside a wall, exterior wall? Etc. Also contact Trane if you go with that brand or another brand..IMO.

Sorry,.. on post 17 I started to ramble a bit about what any manufacturers actually make.
    Last edited by Bazooka Joe; 03-13-2019 at 07:56 PM.

Post Likes
    The Trane is 7/8th 3/8 recommended size. Are they really charging that much more for the Trane over the Goodman?
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing" Socrates

Post Likes
    Got a re quote for the Goodman 4 ton Straight Cool Split System Condenser (GSX16S48), which means I could keep the 7/8 line

Is there a big difference between GSX16S48 and the GSXC1648

Measured run at about 60'

Post Likes
    • Copeland® Two-Stage Ultratech scroll compressor• • ™ Technology – Continuously monitors system
    performance for customized indoor comfort.Copeland® ComfortAlert™ diagnostics. • Heavy-gauge, galvanized steel enclosure cabinet • Factory-installed in-line filter drier • Quiet operation
    Versus

• High-Efficiency scroll compressors • Single-Speed condenser fan motor • Brass liquid & suction line valves
    • Factory-installed liquid line filter drier • Contacter with lug connection

think I'm better off changing out the lines?

Post Likes
    You really need to concentrate on the installing contractor that can SEE the job and the uniqueness of every install.

Post Likes
    GSX16 is a single stage, non communicating and a lesser manufacturer warranty, believe the standard 10/10 once registered. Doesn't look to have the Copeland comfort alert added feature on the Copeland compressor

The GSXC16 is two stage communicating and has the better manufacturer warranty once registered. May have a tad more standard features also, such as the Copeland comfort alert.

Purchase the up to 10 year extended labor warranty from Goodman, called Asure or Goodcare for more peace of mind whichever brand you choose as an option. York and Goodman are the only manufacturer that I'm aware of that those two manufacturers back their extended warranties, other major manufacturer use a 3rd party.
    Last edited by Bazooka Joe; 03-13-2019 at 08:18 PM.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by EddieHaskell View Post
    Not included in the estimate for the Goodman 4 ton GSXC16048, based on specs I see, suction line size required is 1 1/8" Current line either 3/4 or 7/8. AH in garage probably 70 feet from outside unit which is behind the house.How much more is that?$$$$ (can I ask average price to run a new suction line per foot) If not disregard question

The other company quoted the Trane, which I found out doesn't fit height wise,without a modification$$$$

To me kind of basic things they should figure before sending estimate/quote to sign, as they were both onsite

What air handler? They make several different models.
    How tall is the existing air handler?
    Modification are usually necessary with any install.
    Trane XR16 4 ton suggested lineset 3/8-7/8 up to 150' total length 50' max lift. @ 70' your total loss is only ~415btuh which is less than 1%.

Post Likes
    Goodman furnace GMVC889 Cased coil capf4961 for either goodman model

trane TUD2C100A9V5 2 stage

The space right now, top of platform to ceiling is 72", the Trane can be used with a 500 retro fit to existing space

AH is vertically mounted in the garage on a boxed out plenum platform

I asked the goodman AC installer, is it worth upgraded the lines and getting the better unit, he said the 15 seer (I guess meaning the single speed condenser set up) is the best bang for the buck that I would have to save $100 a year for the next ten years to justify the cost of upgrading, so not trying to up sell, I guess that's good?

I can use that money to buy the 10 year parts and labor, plus I believe the AH is variable speed, what do you think

Post Likes
    What do you guys do about the condensing unit being installed under the roof overhang where rain water running off the roof directly hits the unit, cause that's exactly where they get installed, 12" from the exterior wall around here.

Add a gutter?

Post Likes

The space right now, top of platform to ceiling is 72", the Trane can be used with a 500 retro fit to existing space

I asked the goodman AC installer, is it worth upgraded the lines and getting the better unit, he said the 15 seer (I guess meaning the single speed condenser set up) is the best bang for the buck that I would have to save $100 a year for the next ten years to justify the cost of upgrading, so not trying to up sell, I guess that's good?

I can use that money to buy the 10 year parts and labor, plus I believe the AH is variable speed, what do you think
    Trane’s new S8X 80% or S9X 96% furnaces are only 34” tall. Is it upflow or downflow?

Post Likes
    Not sure what you mean about upflow or downflow.

Current config, vertically mounted on platform in the garage, sitting on top of the return air plenum, with the evap coil on top of the furnace. Both contractors said they do not have room to make the connections. I'm assuming to the supply air return at the top?

One said that ruled out the Trane, the other said they could reconfigure the return plenum for additional money to make it work. Or they could fit a Rheem within the existing space but the Rheem price was absurd, cause he doesn't sell enough to get the volume price I guess, making the retro fit Trane much cheaper than Rheem

Post Likes

Pics would help, but if the return is in the bottom base, then you have an upflow system.
    The Trane S8X would be 34" + coil 27" = 61" . That leaves you with 11" to make a connection. I don't know what it looks like so, that's hard to say how easy the connection would be. The alternative would be to use an uncased coil, make the supply air transition and coil box all in one. Some contractors without sheet metal abilities may have difficulty with this.
    The S8X comes in 1 or 2 stage models. The blower is not variable speed, but it is a high efficiency ECM motor which can be used to adjust speeds for better dehumidification.

Also, don't concern yourself with having to use a 31" tall 5 ton coil to gain an extra 1/2 SEER point. Use a 4 ton coil for a 4 ton unit. SEER is a number made to sell a product in my opinion, especially when you're talking about less than 1 SEER point difference.
    Last edited by mgenius33; 03-15-2019 at 05:34 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in