Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Likes
    Kano, either your meter is telling the truth or it's not. Most techs, if they think their meter is not believed, they get another meter.
    Like reading a ghost voltage. A voltage that shows on a digital meter. It's there but they don't believe it.
    Give me a relay with enough contacts, and I'll run the world!

You can be anything you want......As long as you don't suck at it.

USAF 98 Bomb Wing 1960-66 SMW Lu49

Post Likes
    faulty test.

Post Likes
    Kano, with respect to your original post how certain are you you are getting an acurate reading? Take the meter outside in the fresh air does the value change? If Yes it would appear to be working but could still not be accurate. Can you calibrate it or does it have to go back to vendor for calibration?

Have you done any work (remodeling) recently? New furniture, new carpet, new insulation........ All could be potentially off gassing chemical from the building and or fire retardant.

Have you tried opening doors and blowing a fan through the house to see if the levels change, Winter conditions house closed up, sealed tight, contaminants can concentrate and air get pretty stale

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Kano1977 View Post
    Recently bought a digital air quality tester for my home. The
    Formaldehyde reading stays about 0.143 ppm. I am new to all this and says the safe limit should be around 0.08. I went out and bought one of those really expensive voc air purifiers which was like a grand and been running that for 2 weeks and the level has not gone down. She I be extremely concerned with the levels I am getting. I just bought this house 2 years ago was built in the 1969.
    This brings back memories. I bought my first 10-15 years ago. I started by monitoring my 30 home in Madison. During calm, mild days, Formaldehyde was similar levels. Windy, colder weather, the levels were much lower.
    If I was a filter guy, I would have tried specific filtering.
    There are many chemicals that are used in building materials and furnishings. Many of chemicals have not been tested for there long term effects on occupants. As there will be more chemicals that yet to be used.
    Add the fact that your home needs a fresh air change to purge all of the chemicals that can accumulate in your home during times of low air change rate. Plus ASHRAE suggest including air change to renew oxygen levels for humane health.
    A fresh filterd, +merv 11, air change in 3-5 hours purged most of the chemicals and renew oxygen.
    Conditioning cost are minimal considering the options.
    I suggest testing your meter in the outside air as a first step.

Most building codes are suggesting including mechanical fresh make-up air as part of the home. Operating the "fresh air" when the home is occupied at a minimal.
    Depending on the outdoor dew points and the number of occupants, humidification or dehumidification will be require to maintain 40-60%RH inside the home needed for comfort and control of biological growths.
    Added to all of this problem is the increased sensitivity some occupants.
    All modern homes need mechanical fresh air during the hours/days of moderate temperature and calm winds with occupants in the home.
    Looking forward to hearing about your solving the problem.
    Regards Teddy Bear
    Bear Rules: Keep our home <50% RH summer, controls mites/mold and very comfortable.
    Provide 60-100 cfm of fresh air when occupied to purge indoor pollutants and keep window dry during cold weather. T-stat setup/setback +8 hrs. saves energy
    Use +Merv 10 air filter. -Don't forget the "Golden Rule"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12