Post Likes

No heat call saw this gem.

The call was from Owner he had just had the place fixed up and was for sale. Problem Gas was off.
    This is in Northern Illinois so it is used quite a bit.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    There is only one truly right way to do something, but there are thousands of wrong ways to varying degrees to do it.
    So the question is: If you don't do it right, then how wrong is it going to be???

Post Likes
    Back when stuff was made well and the HO spent the money to care for it.

3. Likes Metalman0880 liked this post
    Post Likes
    .15” static pressure. I hope it does not have a coil on it. Or a 3M filter
    AOP Rules: Rules For Equipment Owners.

Free online load calculator: http://www.loadcalc.net/

There = not here. Their = possessive pronoun. They're = they are
    It's = contraction of it is. Its = the possessive form of it
    Too = also. To = expressing motion. Two = 2
    Then = after that, next. Than = indicates a comparison.
    Questions should end with a question mark "?" Statements end with a period "."

Post Likes
    Yanked a bunch of those guys out. Have to have that efficiency.

Post Likes
    i would keep this old classic if it was mine until the cost of the gas it uses was more then i could afford then MABY look at a newer unit.
    Other then that as long as it works keep it running

7. Likes UrAverageAguy liked this post
    Post Likes
    Yes I told him it was reliable than a new unit.
    There is only one truly right way to do something, but there are thousands of wrong ways to varying degrees to do it.
    So the question is: If you don't do it right, then how wrong is it going to be???

Post Likes
    One of Heils old factories is in my town, there’s tons of those old furnaces, gas packs, and pkg heat pumps still running with original parts around here. I service them all the time but couldn’t sell a new part if I wanted to haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Yep there is a definite plus to simple. If the government allowed we would all still be putting in units like these. Units that will run trouble free for 10 years or so with just filter changes.

11. Likes CEAS-AC-TECH liked this post
    Post Likes
    WOW 1987 and that thing hasn’t cracked the heat exchanger yet? Very impressive, they definitely don’t make em like that anymore.

That’s the year I graduated high school and I was installing Heil in the mid 90’s that was when the epa restrictions hit all at once and the exchangers wouldn’t last 2 years, if you were lucky, due to thinner walls, having to do warranty change outs on those, it was like walking barefoot, to school in the snow, up hill both ways... LOL

Post Likes
    they will last a life time if you take good care of them and keep up the maintenance of them monthly

Post Likes
    That stupid plug valve is on the wrong side of the dirt tee. I'd tell em to find the installing contractor and make them come back to fix it.

P.S... What's with that "energy guide" label? I would have thought for sure 70% efficient furnaces were made before the "energy guide" was a thing. Hey wait a second, I just looked at that name plate and did some math. It looks like that thing is an 80%er. I thought natural draft stuff was less than that. Maybe I don't know as much as I thought I did.
    If at First You Don't Succeed, Skydiving Is Not for You.

Post Likes
    Well; to make you feel at least a little better - those "80% furnaces" were only rated at 80% because unit losses were not counted by the testing method.

Back in those days the chimney heat was deducted from the firing rate input and the remainder was considered to be output percentage.

Now the efficiency is calculated based on the heat supplied to the space as a percentage of the firing rate input.

So those 80% -ers, if rated now, would be more like 70%.

PHM
    -----------------

Quote Originally Posted by ammoniadog View Post
    . . . . What's with that "energy guide" label? I would have thought for sure 70% efficient furnaces were made before the "energy guide" was a thing. Hey wait a second, I just looked at that label and did some math. It looks like that thing is an 80%er. I thought natural draft stuff was less than that. Maybe I don't know as much as I thought I did.
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

Post Likes
    Kinda like Mike said. I was told the the rating (back then) was the Efficiency when it was running under normal conditions. It did not account for inefficiencies during start up shut down and loss of air up the chimney. Kinda like the older highway MPG on cars - steady state highway MPG.