+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Carrier Service Mass Layoff 2019

Post Likes

Carrier Service Mass Layoff 2019

Carrier SMART Service a.k.a. Commercial HVAC Factory Service a.k.a. Commercial Service f.k.a. Building Systems and Service has instituted a nationwide mass layoff.
    I am not certain if this is final demand of United Technologies.

Sent from my LG-M327 using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Haven’t seen them in this area in years
    Honeywell you can buy better but you cant pay more

I told my wife when i die to sell my fishing stuff for what its worth not what i told her i paid for it

Post Likes
    1st I'm hearing of it!

Post Likes
    I am hearing 60 to 70 heads rolling - nationwide.

Post Likes
    Since I have no clue about union affairs, I have to ask a stupid question. Are these people losing jobs, union trained journeymen or whatever they are called? If so, I would think it would be fairly easy to find employment in a field that I have read needs experienced technicians nation wide.

Post Likes
    Yes, they are Union. If all were Journeymen, I do not know. If they were trained, I would assume at least by Carrier maybe. If they were trained by the Union, I cannot say for sure.

Post Likes
    I don't know any numbers involved in the layoffs, but I have a couple of friends that are chiller mechanics for Carrier here. Ran into one of them in the supply house on Friday. He told me that they just laid his favorite apprentice off. Rumor he'd heard was that they were cutting the local workforce in half by 2020. Time will tell.

Post Likes
    https://www.carrier.com/carrie...ser...footprint.aspx

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url...2&share_type=t
    Carrier SMART Service Expansion

Post Likes
    I heard corporate forced branches to let go at least 1 field guy,journeyman or apprentice, needed or not, pretty weird thing to do, locally they let go an apprentice and on his way home JCI offered him a job!
    There is not better place for the working men than the union! 100% UA the only HVAC union!

Post Likes
    I hate to see anyone forced out of their job just so an upper level manager can have their raise. Many of the corporate type have the mentallity they can train any monkey to repair equipment and find someone cheaper to boot to make the repair.

Not to sound condesending but 60 to 70 people. I would expect they see that many come or go nation wide every week. Union or non-union hands on trained service techs they should be able to find work without too much difficulty. Still too bad companies do what they do

Post Likes
    It is kind of sad. United Technologies (the company that owns Carrier) is such a huge conglomerate now. I really don't know a whole lot about them, but I think Carrier used to be a pretty big piece of their business pie chart, and now with all of the aerospace and military stuff that they are involved in, Carrier has probably turned into a pretty small piece.

I suspect that if they could, they might just pull out of HVAC service all together. It's probably turned into more of an annoyance for them than anything else. The problem is that there isn't a whole lot of companies who know how to work on their big chillers, so their customers are depending on them.

I used to work for Carrier service back when I was an apprentice, but that was about 15 years ago and it was a short stint that didn't last very long. Back then they had a lot of "national maintenance agreements" with a bunch of big shopping mall chain stores. For me this mostly meant going to shopping malls all over the entire state and changing filters on a bunch of rooftop units and vav boxes.

Well as you know, most shopping mall chain stores haven't been doing so well the last several years. This might be part of the issue. The other issue, as I said, is that they probably don't even want to be in that part of the business any more anyways.
    If at First You Don't Succeed, Skydiving Is Not for You.

Post Likes
    Carrier is being spun-off next month. That's one of the reasons why the mass layoff doesn't make sense.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ammoniadog View Post
    It is kind of sad. United Technologies (the company that owns Carrier) is such a huge conglomerate now.....
    UT also owns Fireye and most of the top guys there either retired or were let go, of course the competition picked them right away.
    There is not better place for the working men than the union! 100% UA the only HVAC union!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by AdrianOmarPerez View Post
    Carrier is being spun-off next month. That's one of the reasons why the mass layoff doesn't make sense.

Could you elaborate?

Post Likes
    United Technologies is splitting in to three major components: 1) Aerospace; 2) Otis Elevators & 3) Carrier

Instead of having all these diverse entities under the UTC umbrella they are splitting in to three, separate, new entities.

Here's a link with a story (NY Times)

http://https://www.nytimes.com/2018/...ies-split.html

The Carrier piece will include the Carrier line plus the other building and security entities (Automated Logic, Kidde, Chubb, Lenel, others I don't know or recall...there's a bunch)

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by chesehd View Post
    United Technologies is splitting in to three major components: 1) Aerospace; 2) Otis Elevators & 3) Carrier

Instead of having all these diverse entities under the UTC umbrella they are splitting in to three, separate, new entities.

Here's a link with a story (NY Times)

http://https://www.nytimes.com/2018/...ies-split.html

The Carrier piece will include the Carrier line plus the other building and security entities (Automated Logic, Kidde, Chubb, Lenel, others I don't know or recall...there's a bunch)
    Interesting! Honeywell did something similar not long ago, they even tried to sell their service/controls division. I would like to see unitary manufacturers getting out the service market and concentrate their efforts on making good units.

Post Likes
    Sure looks like they are going the same route as General Electric GE is still a massive company but nothing like they used to be, However theyso big and diverse they don't know wereto make improvements kind of l;ike th federal government

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in