Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    As long as a match is AHRI rated, it isn't a mismatch. Take Rheem, for example, in CT and VS air handlers, they don't make an 030 so a 2.5 ton has to be on a "3 ton" air handler. Key is having an installer smart enough to set the blower speed down. 10% change of that happening
    I will be home for the install so all I have to do is ask them to switch the dip stick to a slower blower speed. Really torn between the 2 stage and the single stage, regardless of the money. I just want the one that will dehumdify the best and have enough "juice" to get the air to my longer runs.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by football45 View Post
    I will be home for the install so all I have to do is ask them to switch the dip stick to a slower blower speed. Really torn between the 2 stage and the single stage, regardless of the money. I just want the one that will dehumdify the best and have enough "juice" to get the air to my longer runs.
    Again; the size of your unit will have less of an impact on the temperature differential been your hot room and the rest of the house. That's going to be solved by "balancing" the airflow to match the load of each room.

The beauty of 2-stage units is that you're not going full blast when the load doesn't require it. 2nd stage will only kick in when you have a temperature difference of 2 degrees between the room and the setpoint. That means extended run times in 1st stage, which translates to better dehumidification of your home.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    As long as a match is AHRI rated, it isn't a mismatch. Take Rheem, for example, in CT and VS air handlers, they don't make an 030 so a 2.5 ton has to be on a "3 ton" air handler. Key is having an installer smart enough to set the blower speed down. 10% change of that happening
    That’s a sentence that rarely said “smart enough installer” 😂😂😂😂

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by shellkamp View Post
    Again; the size of your unit will have less of an impact on the temperature differential been your hot room and the rest of the house. That's going to be solved by "balancing" the airflow to match the load of each room.

The beauty of 2-stage units is that you're not going full blast when the load doesn't require it. 2nd stage will only kick in when you have a temperature difference of 2 degrees between the room and the setpoint. That means extended run times in 1st stage, which translates to better dehumidification of your home.

Thanks, I'm going to be using an ecobee thermostat which says it supports 2 stage. How does the 2 stage know when to switch from 1st stage to 2nd stage?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by football45 View Post
    Thanks, I'm going to be using an ecobee thermostat which says it supports 2 stage. How does the 2 stage know when to switch from 1st stage to 2nd stage?
    The thermostat will have a setting which is probably defaulted to turn on second stage when there is 2 degrees or more between the room temperature and the thermostat setting.

Just as an example - let's consider a hot summer say where you're unit is running in first stage, but it's not quite enough capacity to maintain your setpoint. Once the thermostat senses that 2 degree "differential" in temperature, it will switch over into second stage and bring the temperature back down to the setpoint.

Post Likes

Q. Sensible Capacity = Calculated | 25,200 BTU/HR

3-Ton AHU and Condenser

Cooling EDB 76.00 F
    Cooling EWB 63.60 F
    Calc clg LDB 54.10 F
    Calc clg LWB 52.80 F

Cooling outdoor DB 92.00 F

Cooling airflow 1,080 cfm

Clg net total capacity 33208. Btuh
    Clg net latent capacity 7961. Btuh

Clg net sensible capacity 25,247. Btuh
    ____________ Exact Q. Sensible match to MY CALC

SEER @ AHRI 16.50 btuh/watt
    EER @ AHRI 14.0 EER
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by dan sw fl View Post
    3-Ton AHU and Condenser

Cooling EDB 76.00 F
    Cooling EWB 63.60 F
    Calc clg LDB 54.10 F
    Calc clg LWB 52.80 F

Cooling outdoor DB 92.00 F

Cooling airflow 1,080 cfm

Clg net total capacity 33208. Btuh
    Clg net latent capacity 7961. Btuh

Clg net sensible capacity 25,247. Btuh
    ____________ Exact Q. Sensible match to MY CALC

SEER @ AHRI 16.50 btuh/watt
    EER @ AHRI 14.0 EER
    Dan, the only reason I started looking at a 2 stage system was because you recommended a 3 ton 2 stage. But the model you now listed from Trane is a single stage 3 ton?

I've decided to go with Goodman purely due to the manufacturer labor warranty for 10 years, whereas Trane is a third party labor warranty which is also more expensive.

Dan can you clarify if you're recommending a 3 ton 2 stage over a single stage for my situation?

Post Likes

Two Stage = MOST APPROPRIATE in SE US

_ TWO - STAGE _
    _____ _ _ _ Comfort + Economical Operation
    ___________________ presuming appropriate install
    ___________________ presuming t-stats set to > 75'F

___ 2-stage system should run > 10 hours / day on 1st ( Low ) stage
    for 4+ months in FL

4TTR7036 with TEM6 IS MUCH BETTER for Any Southern U.S. residence regarding Relative Humidity performance
    _________________ _ _ _ _ _ Southern U.S. = < 35'N Latitude

One may elect to later add a dehumidifier to a single stage system
    after discovering - the hard way - that the R.H. may rise to > 54% in << Peak load period.
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Post Likes
    Got the 2 stage 3 ton installed. Dont notice much difference dehumidifying better than the 1 stage variable speed I used to have. The 1 stage cooled faster but appeared to maybe even dehumidify better as well. Also the air coming out of the supply felt colder with the 1 stage.

Since load is low currently, it's been using stage 1 mostly. Air flow running at 800 cfm in stage 1 and 1300 cfm at stage 2. Running on ramp profile of 30 seconds 50%, 7.5 minutes 82%

Even have it set to run 1 degree overcool on the ecobee for humidity.

Should the blower speed be lower? setting below is a little over 1000 cfm at 2 stage.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456