+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: High efficiency venting options.

Post Likes

High efficiency venting options.

My boss sold this job that has 2 furnaces. Furnace 1 is being replaced with a Bryant evolution 95%. Furnace 2 is staying. We are below grade with the old 80% venting into a chimney. We have another chimney right next to it available but it offsets about 10" and I cant get 3" PVC in that offset. Any ideas?
    I have heard of poly vents but no one around here knows WTF I'm asking for.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Will 2inch fit? If so you may be able to reduce to 2inch for a short length. It shouldn't restrict a crazy amount but will increase the velocity in that section of pipe. If you need to reduce on a horizontal keep in mind you can get eccentric PVC reducers.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

3. Likes Zamoramax liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Spitz View Post
    Will 2inch fit? If so you may be able to reduce to 2inch for a short length. It shouldn't restrict a crazy amount but will increase the velocity in that section of pipe. If you need to reduce on a horizontal keep in mind you can get eccentric PVC reducers.

Not really. Its 7x7 terracotta and it offsets about 12 inches over 3 ft.

Post Likes
    This might be the "poly vent" that you heard about. I have never seen or used it, but it might be a good option if you can find someone to sell you the stuff.....

http://www.duravent.com/Product.aspx?hProduct=26

If at First You Don't Succeed, Skydiving Is Not for You.

6. Likes Zamoramax liked this post.
    Post Likes
    If the other chimney is straight, swap furnace venting?
    Use the biggest hammer you like, pounding a square peg into a round hole does not equal a proper fit.

8. Likes Zamoramax liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by firecontrol View Post
    Was thinking sell them two new furnaces and run the pvc up the chimney

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by firecontrol View Post
    I have been thinking about this for about an hour now.

Post Likes
    How far below grade? I consider running venting up and out the chimney the last resort usually there is some spot to punch a hole and take the venting out the side. If I have to break out any ladder taller than 6' that is a failure of a day to me.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ammoniadog View Post
    This might be the "poly vent" that you heard about. I have never seen or used it, but it might be a good option if you can find someone to sell you the stuff.....

http://www.duravent.com/Product.aspx?hProduct=26

That's the stuff just gotta find it.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Sooty View Post
    How far below grade? I consider running venting up and out the chimney the last resort usually there is some spot to punch a hole and take the venting out the side. If I have to break out any ladder taller than 6' that is a failure of a day to me.
    The subfloor above is at grade. My only option. Is up and I'm beginning to think swapping the flue is the answer.

Post Likes
    Could you get where you need to go with a helper and a shovel?

15. Likes Zamoramax liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Zamoramax View Post
    My boss sold this job that has 2 furnaces. Furnace 1 is being replaced with a Bryant evolution 95%. Furnace 2 is staying. We are below grade with the old 80% venting into a chimney. We have another chimney right next to it available but it offsets about 10" and I cant get 3" PVC in that offset. Any ideas?
    I have heard of poly vents but no one around here knows WTF I'm asking for.

"We are below grade"

Meaning that the Banding board for the Floor joists is "Below Grade" Zamoramax?

Can't You Sidewall the Venting via Sch. 40 PVC?
    Hos 4:6 My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge. Because you have rejected knowledge, I will also reject you, that you may be no priest to me. Because you have forgotten your God’s law, I will also forget your children.

"You've got to Stand for Something or You'll fall for anything" (A. Tippin)

Mat_15:24 But he answered, “I wasn’t sent to anyone but the lost sheep of the house of Israel.”

17. Likes Zamoramax liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Hos 4:6 My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge. Because you have rejected knowledge, I will also reject you, that you may be no priest to me. Because you have forgotten your God’s law, I will also forget your children.

Mat_15:24 But he answered, “I wasn’t sent to anyone but the lost sheep of the house of Israel.”

Post Likes
    The subfloor above is at grade. My only option. Is up and I'm beginning to think swapping the flue is the answer.

Is the wooden joist space, actually below grade?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidDeBord View Post
    "We are below grade"

Meaning that the Banding board for the Floor joists is "Below Grade" Zamoramax?

Can't You Sidewall the Venting via Sch. 40 PVC?
    The subfloor for the 1st floor is at ground level. So the joist bays are below grade. I would have to enter the home to turn out above grade. I should mention this is a 5ish million dollar house in the Oakland hills. They won't go for a pipe running through there kitchen, dining, living or entertaining room.

Post Likes
    Could you get where you need to go with a helper and a shovel?
    And a gallon of metalbond

Post Likes
    Is there a closet or vanity and kichen cabinets on exterior wall where you could come up through the floor come up into then horizontal out. I have had to do this a few times the pvc and be boxed in with mdf or cabinet drawers shortened to hide them
    I have run into this a few times there is alot of core bolt joists in new construction here where the subfloor is the top of the foundation . Doing one right now with icf foundation where nothing gets out the basement without coming up through the subfloor it sucks just have to get creative . The poly pro or duravent chimney liners work but hate the gasket and ring system .

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

23. Likes Zamoramax liked this post.
    Post Likes
    The subfloor for the 1st floor is at ground level. So the joist bays are below grade. I would have to enter the home to turn out above grade. I should mention this is a 5ish million dollar house in the Oakland hills. They won't go for a pipe running through there kitchen, dining, living or entertaining room.

And they do not have termites?

What about using a "Window well" support? The Kind that is 1/2 moon shaped & made of Stout Metal, or Heavy Duty Plastic, .... they're abut 30" deep & large enough for light to get in to a basement window that is below grade. Put gravel in the hole, about 6" deep so that it will drain. Matter of fact, I've seen Caps that can cover these things up, which if you could find a Lowes/ Home Depot, or Menards nearby, they should carry both of these items.

Other than that, ... See if any closets line up, for a "Chase", & take it through the Roof.

Post Likes
    Put in a heat pump.

26. Likes Zamoramax liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by HeatenCoolair View Post
    Is there a closet or vanity and kichen cabinets on exterior wall where you could come up through the floor come up into then horizontal out. I have had to do this a few times the pvc and be boxed in with mdf or cabinet drawers shortened to hide them
    I have run into this a few times there is alot of core bolt joists in new construction here where the subfloor is the top of the foundation . Doing one right now with icf foundation where nothing gets out the basement without coming up through the subfloor it sucks just have to get creative . The poly pro or duravent chimney liners work but hate the gasket and ring system .

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in