Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by 71CHOPS View Post
    Any desiccant style filter is not designed for permanent installation in a suction filter shell.

If you want to leave a filter in place, refer to Parker data sheet 40-109 for the correct filters to leave in place.
    Yea I used the filter element rpe- 48-bd. I read that form and seen sporlan recommends putting in the filter element in the suction line after cleanup. The filter element has the least pressure drop.

Post Likes
    RPE-48-BD this Sporland is a core with the least pressure drop for the quart size cores. If you decide to leave the guts out tape everything together leave in the starter panel.

Post Likes
    Use the media filter when you return
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Liberalism-Ideas so good they mandate them

Post Likes
    Do not mean to high jack thread but this is something I have been curious about. When does the replaceable core driers make more sense to use then a solid core(Solder) on suction lines? I work on light commercial units, mainly RTUs, but have quite a few accounts with Trane odysseys 7.5-20 tons and only have ever seen the solid cores used. I havent had a situation come up yet to price it, but I would think the replaceable shells would make more sense

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by KidderTX View Post
    Do not mean to high jack thread but this is something I have been curious about. When does the replaceable core driers make more sense to use then a solid core(Solder) on suction lines? I work on light commercial units, mainly RTUs, but have quite a few accounts with Trane odysseys 7.5-20 tons and only have ever seen the solid cores used. I havent had a situation come up yet to price it, but I would think the replaceable shells would make more sense
    Any system where the level of system contamination is thought to exceed the capacity of one suction line filter drier.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    A desiccant style SUCTION filter would be used on a burn out where you want to remove acid and debris. They MUST be removed shortly after installation (within a week or so).

A standard SUCTION filter is a felt media with screen. They are designed to catch debris only, and can be left in place.

You can use many different types/styles in replaceable core shells. The shells are expensive though, especially if you install isolation valves, so you can change filters without pulling charge. putting one on a small tonnage RTU isn’t necessarily cost effective.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by KidderTX View Post
    Capacity.
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Liberalism-Ideas so good they mandate them

Post Likes
    Thanks for the input guys. I have a site with 4 Trane Odyssey Splits(7.5&15 tons) with 100ft of line set with no ball valves at AH. Have a compressor to replace on the 15ton(not a burnout) and will be pulling entire charge to add ball valves and proper liquid drier near AH. Unit is 5 years old and installed poorly, would a suction shell drier with a filter element to catch any shavings or debris be a smart move? Price isnt a factor at this point

Post Likes
    Well, if price isn’t a factor, install shells in the LL and suction line, with bypass lines, so you can leave the unit running while changing filters!

Don’t forget to add time to return to the site within a week to change the suction filter.

If it wasn’t a burnt out, the suction side may be overkill. You could put a screen type filter in the suction when you put the compressor in, and leave it.

Also, don’t forget to add access valves to check pressure drop, You can get ball valves with access ports but in.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12