Post Likes

Siemens Controls

Hello HVAC world! This is my first post on the forum so be kind! I am a Automation technician looking for some information on Siemens Insight Apogee. I have been handed a service contract on this site where we are slowing bring the site over to Trane controls but have a lot of device that are left on the Siemens system. My question... How do i access the background info for alarm configuration inside of the Insight system?

It seems that all I can access is the graphics. Is there another level of access or a service tool for accessing the points?

Also is there any training available for this system that anyone knows about. Its Node's , PXM's and PXC's.

Post Likes
    Welcome to the world of Siemens, without factory support you'll be fighting an uphill battle. One of the most tightly guarded systems/knowledge base out there.

kontrol out
    "Good" - Jocko
    "Open is as open does." - Forrest Gump
    "Can't we all just get a Lon?" - Garry Jack
    "BACnet: integration or interrogation?" - The Janitor
    "Interoperability? You can't handle interoperability!" - Nathan R. Jessup
    “What’s that? Aaa… open protocols? Don’t talk about…. open protocols? Are you kidding me? Open protocols? I just hope we can hardwire an interface!” - Jim Mora Watch it here!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeyMetalTrade View Post
    Hello HVAC world! This is my first post on the forum so be kind! I am a Automation technician looking for some information on Siemens Insight Apogee. I have been handed a service contract on this site where we are slowing bring the site over to Trane controls but have a lot of device that are left on the Siemens system. My question... How do i access the background info for alarm configuration inside of the Insight system?

It seems that all I can access is the graphics. Is there another level of access or a service tool for accessing the points?

Also is there any training available for this system that anyone knows about. Its Node's , PXM's and PXC's.
    There is a program called Point Editor that show the alarms for the point as well as it's setup. Whether or not you have access is another thing. Siemens does offer Insight User Training, it is done through the local branch and if you are a competitor they probably won't allow you to take the class. When you access Insight you should have a bar that shows up with a bunch of icons. One of those icons should be the point editor. If you don't have that Icon you can right click on an empty part of the bar select customize and there's a tab called Applications. See if it is in there. If it is not you don't have a high enough level of access to Insight.

Post Likes
    Thanks so much. I was able to Change piece together with your help how to change the alarming range for several points that were giving nuisance alarms for in/out of range. This cut the amount of alarm by 75%!

I am hoping though that you can help me with another issue I'm having with the site. I am responsible for replacing these devices as they fail and installing new controls. I was hoping that through "Insight" I could view the "code" or Program for the equipment in order to reverse engineer a sequence of operations. Is this Doable? or do I need additional tools?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeyMetalTrade View Post
    Thanks so much. I was able to Change piece together with your help how to change the alarming range for several points that were giving nuisance alarms for in/out of range. This cut the amount of alarm by 75%!

I am hoping though that you can help me with another issue I'm having with the site. I am responsible for replacing these devices as they fail and installing new controls. I was hoping that through "Insight" I could view the "code" or Program for the equipment in order to reverse engineer a sequence of operations. Is this Doable? or do I need additional tools?
    You don't technically need any additional tools. Insight has a program called Program Editor and this will allow you to view and edit the PPCL code in the BLN devices. There is also a report that you can run called a Point Usage Report that will tell you where a point is being referenced whether it is in PPCL or a schedule ect. The TECs will be slightly tougher but you can use the System Profile in Insight to determine what application number that the TEC is running and you should be able to look it up. While difficult to navigate Siemens does have some reference material online. The application document will show you how the TEC is setup and it sequence of operation.

Post Likes
    Again, Thank you so much...this is incredibly helpful and is a real resource for me going forward!! YOU ARE THE MAN!

Post Likes
    For P2 (Non-BACnet) points:
    The best way to get the built-in alarm configurations is to use Report Builder, then select Point Data Sorter.
    In the "Points" field, add all the points you are interested in. In the Panels field, just use an asterisk. In the "Output Filter", include all the alarming data, and the System Name.

For BACnet points:
    Use the Point Definition Report in report builder.

There may also be some alarms defined in PPCL. Those you have to figure out by reading the program in Program Editor.

Post Likes
    Report Builder is your FRIEND. It's also very powerful (I missed it on any other front ends I used).
    IE you can create a report for say.. any chilled water valve positions >0%, using * (wildcard) etc, and embed it on a graphic so you just click it's icon and it runs..
    There are a million things you can use it for.
    Also the alarm config is integral to the points also, you can set an alarm range in every point (it's got the field option), but it isn't necessarily linked/monitored in the alarm page.
    Exporting a controller to CSV (excel) can also REALLY save you time. (You can also import). This MAY only be available in Comissioning Tools tho (the engineering software)
    The DDC system... guilty until proven innocent

Post Likes
    Mikey, put your email in your profile, I'll email you and we can hook up.
    Quote Originally Posted by MatrixTransform View Post
    very soon it is you that will be pwned