Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Likes

Ice on the ceiling of a walk in

I have a walk-in low -temp freezer (10'x12'x 8') that is forming ice on the ceiling and I can't quite figure out why. Defrost cycle seems to be be working fine as well as the fan delay after the defrost cycle terminates. The one theory I have is that the users will prop the door open and turn the unit off a couple of times a week for up toan hour or so to either stock or inventory. It is just off of the kitchen and I am guessing that the warm humid air is accumulating at the ceiling them forming water droplets. Any other ideas or suggestions? Thanks

Post Likes
    That's a good possibility.

how are they shutting it down?

Post Likes
    Shutting off the disconnect. I have talked with them about this and they won’t stop doing it. I have talked with them about shutting it down at the thermostat but that seems to be too hard for them to do. Would shutting this down without pump down contribute to this problem?

Post Likes
    Also did not put in my first post that the the evapotator drain is clear and drains during defrost.

Post Likes
    we install a switch behind the blower that breaks the N wire so heaters, fans and solenoid are off. Unfortunately any frost on the blower will begin to defrost and once they turn the switch on it gets blown off. I believe this is what your experiencing.

One problem with shutting off the disconnect is it kills the crankcase heater, that can lead to other problems.

Post Likes
    So by doing that then the fans imediatly shut down and then the condenser will pump down and shut off. Correct? I think I will try this and see if it helps.

Post Likes
    If your defrost heaters don't terminate on a switch and are on the timer you could create steam.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by VTP99 View Post
    If your defrost heaters don't terminate on a switch and are on the timer you could create steam.
    That's why we break the N!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by tomnkc View Post
    So by doing that then the fans imediatly shut down and then the condenser will pump down and shut off. Correct? I think I will try this and see if it helps.
    If there's water on the coil it will still blow off. W I Freezers should be inside W I Coolers that helps but the icing can still appear. The only true solution is NOT shutting it down!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pecmsg View Post
    That's why we break the N!
    I was referring to normal operation ( or lack of )
    In a defrost mode the heaters are steaming the water left on the coil.

Post Likes
    I had this problem once, with workers in a hot kitchen blocking service the freezer door open. Caused all sorts of icing problems. Owner of the restaurant tried to fix the problem but the kitchen staff kept it up when he wasn’t there.
    I wired in a timer door switch connected to a horn above the ceiling. After 3 continuous minutes of the door being open the horn went off until the door was closed. After a week we never had that problem again.
    Also check the drain. An untrapped freezer drain will draw humidity/moisture back into the freezer if terminated in a humid/wet area.
    “I haven’t failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” - Thomas Edison

“It’s not whether you get knocked down, it’s whether you get up.” - Vince Lombardi

"In this house we obey the laws of thermodynamics" - Homer Simpson

Local 486

Post Likes
    I thought about that. The drain is not trapped and terminates to the outside. In addition to the kill switch I think I will add a trap. As far as the horn goes that would be a no go. This is in a school district and come Hell or High water they are going to turn this off when they are in there. I just want to cover all my bases before I tell them that if they don’t stop the practice nothing will change. The real issue for them is not the ice on the ceiling but when they are in there long enough it melts and drips water on the floor then refreezes causing a slip/ fall issue. Thanks everyone for your help with this.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by rider77 View Post
    Also check the drain. An untrapped freezer drain will draw humidity/moisture back into the freezer if terminated in a humid/wet area.
    I have heard this for 30 years. Worked on many WIF without trapped drains. Never seen it cause an issue.

That's just me though. YMMV.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast