Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Likes

Looking to change the way I approach the field

So Iíve been a sporadic visitor to HVAC-T for years. Iíve been in the field for almost 10 years as a service tech and installer. Finally got around to joining recently and In just a few days in posting Iím discovering a lot about what I ďthoughtĒ I knew.

Anyway Iím looking to get myself into a better technician overall. I love working with oil and NG doing service, I learn something new every day pretty much. Iíve had some trouble finding info thatís explained better than in straight textbook language. Especially regarding ECM motors, Duct sizing, and Airflow. I went through technical school but other than touching on Manual J design and airflow I know little. I havenít found info on those that wasnít a general overview of it only.

This forum turned me on to George Lanthierís articles and books regarding fuel oil and service work that have been eye opening. If I could get tips links or titles related to duct sizing, airflow and ECM motors it would help me a lot. My overall knowledge of the three is somewhat mediocre at the moment.

Also, I still need to look into getting airflow testing instruments and ecm motor testing tools or meters, etc. Any suggestions on what before I go blowing big money on something less useful than a brick?

I just took a leap from mainly oil heat centered service to a new job thats oil plus a lot more high efficiency everything hence the questions.

Thanks....and be gentle ha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Let me just clarify...

I do have and use a Fieldpiece multimeter daily. Covers ac and dc voltages, capacitance, milliamps, amperage, temp, continuity and more.

Also use a Fieldpiece Dual port manometer for testing gas pressure. I believe I can use for testing static pressure (?) I just need to get the ductwork probes for that I believe. Just meant Meters or unique tools that are the best for testing ECM motors specifically and for testing airflow measurements.

Post Likes
    Acca manual d is duct Work design. I had to read it 3 times before I understood much and then read it again a few more times. I still keep it in my truck.

A book called ďair flow in ductsĒ is another great book and easier to read.

There is a good YouTube video on testing static and where to put the sensors. Canít think of the name but itís about 20 mins long and if I recall he is doing it on a rheem.

In addition to your manometer you can pick up a large vane anemometer that wonít break the bank.

Post Likes
    Im by no means a duct designer but i have a copy of the manual d and have found it very useful. In the field I rarely go any further than physically inspecting ducts and measuring tesp and static drops across coils. Ill admit if it came down to it on commercial equipment im generally lost if and when i find the need to measure air flow. I have a cheaper tachometer someone gave me but cant measure blower rpms with the boor on and fan curves seem hard to come by anyway.

A copy of the manual d and a manometer the reads to hundredth with a pitot tube would be a fine start in my opinion.

About ECMís I own the zebra and many of the adaptors and the broad ocean tester. The BO one is good to have due to the dcv and the 2 board setup. The the genteqs can be tested with acv or dcv or a 9v battery. When i get a chance ill post some of the test procedures.

Post Likes
    CD: You have the potential for a great income and lifetime job security and the Industry needs Good People who care!

Check threads on TAB, etc.

Post Likes
    OP, congrats on trying to do and be better. Always trying to learn (or remember) something every day.

NORA offers classes, on oil, gas, hydronics, steam, electrical, AC. In PA, their headquarters is in Harrisburg where they have a nice training/lab facility, but many of the classes are in the Philly/metro area. Not sure about the NJ chapter.
    So I’d check their website:
    https://noraweb.org/
    If I do a job in 30 minutes it's because I spent 30 years learning how to do that in 30 minutes. You owe me for the years, not the minutes.

Post Likes
    Is there an RSES chapter near you. Great source for all the info that you might need. Also as a member, you get big discount on any books. There are even recorded webinars on their site. Very helpful.
    Can someone please explain to me -
    Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but plenty of time to do it twice?

Please view site rules: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=1241

Apply for Pro Membership: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=116113

Find your local HVAC-Talk Contractor: http://hvac-talk.com/aop

Post Likes
    Zebra VZ7, great tool for true vs motors, although I wish they made an updated model of this that tested more motors, I still haven’t ran across one I couldn’t use it on.

Post Likes
    Have you applied for PRO membership?
    If not, do so, the information is readily available,
    It`s better to be silent and thought the fool; than speak and remove all doubt.

Post Likes
    Since this is open forum i may not be able to post the ecm step by step trouble shooting instructions. I agree, apply for pro status asap.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Core_d View Post
    Since this is open forum i may not be able to post the ecm step by step trouble shooting instructions. I agree, apply for pro status asap.

Start a new thread in the Pro section
    If I do a job in 30 minutes it's because I spent 30 years learning how to do that in 30 minutes. You owe me for the years, not the minutes.

12. Likes Core_d liked this post
    Post Likes
    Just buy a new one right? Oh, oh, oh, I know, upgrade to a PSC !!

Quote Originally Posted by Core_d View Post

If you were a real tech, you'd solder a relay on that board and call it good to go.

I do a triple evac with nitro to remove non condensables.

I use 56% silver on everything except steel.

Did you really need the " If you were a real tech " ??

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BBeerme View Post
    Just buy a new one right? Oh, oh, oh, I know, upgrade to a PSC !!
    Yea thats pretty much my approach, Its ALWAYS the module. Except with the nordyne/broad ocean ecmís ive seen it go both ways the board or the motor.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast