Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
Results 53 to 65 of 118
  1. #53
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Visalia California 93291
    Posts
    7,713
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hvacskills View Post
    I have no intention of tying into the grid either ....

    still watching youtube videos to try to get an understanding about all of this stuff ... talking about youtube, give some people a camera and they can sure carry on

    there are a few things I can start prepping while I am figuring on the final design .... now I see why you were wanting to follow this thread ....
    If you want to be off the grid you , run separate dedicated solar circuit

    I think you are over thinking this, the power company will come change your meter and put you on a different program, it's free....panels are cheap, you can do an inverter on the panel ( each) or 1 inverter below, rack systems are cheap...in our area , solar permits under 10kw require no review, permit is over the counter....send youself a bill and take the 30% Tax Credit

  2. #54
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Posts
    2,892
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by lkapigian View Post
    If you want to be off the grid you , run separate dedicated solar circuit
    that is the plan, with batteries for back up, the battery aspect sort of complicates everything when you know nothing about batteries or a solar system ( capacity, type, sizing )




  3. #55
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Visalia California 93291
    Posts
    7,713
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hvacskills View Post
    that is the plan, with batteries for back up, the battery aspect sort of complicates everything when you know nothing about batteries or a solar system ( capacity, type, sizing )



    No real need for battery where I am, but if you are stationary ( not like Mobile in that video) you have more latitude with the ability to have a larger bank whether it be Lithium or Lead acid
    While superior energy density is not critical for stationary applications, it is essential for electric vehicles and portable electronics. Increased energy density greatly improves the deployment and installation process for stationary energy storage.


    https://medium.com/solar-microgrid/b...n-1d37a1998287

  4. #56
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Atlanta GA area
    Posts
    43,127
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hvacskills View Post
    that is the plan, with batteries for back up, the battery aspect sort of complicates everything when you know nothing about batteries or a solar system ( capacity, type, sizing )



    As usual...

    Folks that make videos often do not tell the whole story...
    *LiOn batteries... will get VERY hot... when discharged or charged too fast...
    THIS is the reason for the LiOn fires... like the infamous Samsung Note 7 phone... and the tail end of the Boeing 787 Dreamliner.
    *LiOn batteries should NEVER be taken below about 20-25%... it damages the internal structure of the chemicals... which lowers recharge capacity... as well as increasing the potential for a fire.

    I have shaken my head for years over videos...
    And it is just down-right scary... that folks think they are getting the whole story in a video...
    They are NOT!
    GA-HVAC-Tech

    Your comfort, Your way, Everyday!

    GA's basic rules of home heating and AC upgrades:
    *Installation is more important than the brand of equipment
    *The duct system keeps the house comfortable; the equipment only heats and cools (and dehumidifies)
    *Cheap is not good, good is not cheap; however expensive is not a guarantee of quality!
    Choose your contractor wisely!

  5. #57
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Posts
    2,892
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    PHM

    probably appreciate this video



  6. #58
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Posts
    2,892
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by ga-hvac-tech View Post
    *LiOn batteries should NEVER be taken below about 20-25%... it damages the internal structure of the chemicals... which lowers recharge capacity... as well as increasing the potential for a fire.
    yeah, really clueless about the battery decision ... was thinking standard lead acid golf cart batteries, then watching videos about the actual amperage produced is not very impressive ... then you have the maintenance on them, guess you are suppose to check the electrolytes in the solution once a month or so and then occasionally equalize them ( charge them with no load at a high rate to drive chemicals off of the plates and back into the solution, or something like that ), so still have no idea what to do about batteries ..... I am really liking these 18650 battery packs though, really impressive, just no sure I would want a bunch of them in the basement, but supposedly it can be done safely ..... not even a week into this so hopefully get a better understanding as investigating more

  7. #59
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Galivants ferry SC
    Posts
    145
    Post Likes
    do your self a favor. Get a transfer switch 6 circuit for what you want to power. Hook this up. This can run off generator or inverter. ( problem with the gen you bought its 120v only. A 240 gen will serve you best)

    https://www.electricgeneratorsdirect...SD/p95053.html

    But there is only one 120v transfer switch I am aware of. Only gives 4 circuits.

    https://www.electricgeneratorsdirect...14A/p1109.html

    You can then run 4 circuits off your gen..

    Now the solar on the cheap.. This is how I run my RV off the grid.

    You need charge controller.. And you want MPPT not a PWN.

    This is a good cheap unit. I have it

    https://www.amazon.com/EPEVER-Contro...gateway&sr=8-3

    You want to get 4 golf cart batterys. Hook two in series and the pair in parallel making 24 volts. This lets you use smaller wiring.

    go to sams club or batterys and bulbs and get the 6 volt duracells 225 amp hours.

    https://www.batteriesplus.com/productdetails/sligc115

    Then you need 24 volt inverter.

    Krieger 24V 2000 Watt Power Inverter

    https://www.dcacpowerinverters.com/product/mr2000/

    https://www.kriegermfg.com/product/mr2000/

    Then two residential panels hooked in series.

    At least 280 watts each. like this..

    https://www.ebay.com/itm/LG-Solar-Panel-295-Watt-60-Cell-Mono-crystalline-New/283379510095?hash=item41fabc2b4f:g:Q2cAAOSwrhNcZH5 u:rk:3f:0

    thats a start

  8. #60
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Visalia California 93291
    Posts
    7,713
    Post Likes
    For as low a wattage and you really only doing it for back up maybe a generator is a better fit for you

  9. #61
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Atlanta GA area
    Posts
    43,127
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hvacskills View Post
    yeah, really clueless about the battery decision ... was thinking standard lead acid golf cart batteries then watching videos about the actual amperage produced is not very appealing ... then you have the maintenance on them, guess you are suppose to check the electrolytes in the solution once a month or so and then occasionally equalize them ( charge them with no load at a high rate to drive chemicals off of the plates and back into the solution, or something like that ), so still have no idea what to do about batteries ..... I am really liking these 1860 battery packs though, just no sure I would want a bunch of them in the basement, but supposedly it can be done safely .....
    Do you mean 18650 battery packs???

    Little known fact: the lowly 18650 battery... that we see in LiIon LED flashlights...
    Most elec cars have literally thousands of them... in 'packs'...

    There is a newer version, called a 26650... size is about half again larger volume, with almost 2x the 'power density'...
    LiIon is a good battery... as long as you do not 'flash drain' or 'flash charge' them... and do not take them down below 20-25%... if it were me... below 35%.

    Back on the golf cart batteries...
    This is why folks have a BIG bank of batteries...
    So you will drain them slowly, rather than quickly... and of course lots of reserve.

    That thing: draining them slowly, and charging them slowly...
    Is IMO the key to keeping batteries in good shape.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

    Your comfort, Your way, Everyday!

    GA's basic rules of home heating and AC upgrades:
    *Installation is more important than the brand of equipment
    *The duct system keeps the house comfortable; the equipment only heats and cools (and dehumidifies)
    *Cheap is not good, good is not cheap; however expensive is not a guarantee of quality!
    Choose your contractor wisely!

  10. #62
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Posts
    2,892
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawrosa View Post
    do your self a favor. Get a transfer switch 6 circuit for what you want to power. Hook this up. This can run off generator or inverter. ( problem with the gen you bought its 120v only. A 240 gen will serve you best)

    https://www.electricgeneratorsdirect...SD/p95053.html

    But there is only one 120v transfer switch I am aware of. Only gives 4 circuits.

    https://www.electricgeneratorsdirect...14A/p1109.html

    You can then run 4 circuits off your gen..

    Now the solar on the cheap.. This is how I run my RV off the grid.

    You need charge controller.. And you want MPPT not a PWN.

    This is a good cheap unit. I have it

    https://www.amazon.com/EPEVER-Contro...gateway&sr=8-3

    You want to get 4 golf cart batterys. Hook two in series and the pair in parallel making 24 volts. This lets you use smaller wiring.

    go to sams club or batterys and bulbs and get the 6 volt duracells 225 amp hours.

    https://www.batteriesplus.com/productdetails/sligc115

    Then you need 24 volt inverter.

    Krieger 24V 2000 Watt Power Inverter

    https://www.dcacpowerinverters.com/product/mr2000/

    https://www.kriegermfg.com/product/mr2000/

    Then two residential panels hooked in series.

    At least 280 watts each. like this..

    https://www.ebay.com/itm/LG-Solar-Panel-295-Watt-60-Cell-Mono-crystalline-New/283379510095?hash=item41fabc2b4f:g:Q2cAAOSwrhNcZH5 u:rk:3f:0

    thats a start
    thank you for the time and effort you put into your response, I checked out the links and will check them out again and give your suggestions thought ....

    how long have you had your set up and how long before you had a somewhat thorough understanding of how all of this works ? it does not seem complicated once you get an understanding

  11. #63
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Posts
    2,892
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by ga-hvac-tech View Post
    Do you mean 18650 battery packs???

    Little known fact: the lowly 18650 battery... that we see in LiIon LED flashlights...
    Most elec cars have literally thousands of them... in 'packs'...

    There is a newer version, called a 26650... size is about half again larger volume, with almost 2x the 'power density'...
    LiIon is a good battery... as long as you do not 'flash drain' or 'flash charge' them... and do not take them down below 20-25%... if it were me... below 35%.

    Back on the golf cart batteries...
    This is why folks have a BIG bank of batteries...
    So you will drain them slowly, rather than quickly... and of course lots of reserve.

    That thing: draining them slowly, and charging them slowly...
    Is IMO the key to keeping batteries in good shape
    .
    that is what I am starting to pick up on, large quantity and slow discharge rates, think they have controls that can monitor discharge rates

    not sure why they go 18650, was watching something somewhere and supposedly the next step in batteries is nano technology where each small individual area of the battery is charged, or something like that, so maybe 18650s work better in packs, no idea

    I am still having a hard time understanding the Ah, discharge rates, charging rate, ect... , once I do that then I will be able to size what is needed, sometimes certain things take longer to sink in and this is one of them, just watching and learning from videos ...

    thanks for your input it has been helpful ...
    Last edited by hvacskills; 02-25-2019 at 10:01 PM.

  12. #64
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Galivants ferry SC
    Posts
    145
    Post Likes
    thank you for the time and effort you put into your response, I checked out the links and will check them out again and give your suggestions some thought ....

    how long have you had your set up and how long before you had a somewhat thorough understanding of how all of this works? it does not seem complicated once you get an understanding
    I have been camping with solar for some time..

    I camp without hookups. I plug the camper into the inverter. The inverter runs off my dual batterys. And the solar charges the batterys..

    You can essentially do the same for the home..

    Im 12v inverter 1100 watt as thats all I need to run coffee pot and microwave when needed when camping. Run the tv's and charge stuff. all through the outlets.

    This my old controller. Sorry about the mumbling..This will give you an idea..

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fD5cpclHjqA&t=14s

  13. #65
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Atlanta GA area
    Posts
    43,127
    Post Likes
    AS I understand it... the answer to your question about little 18650 batteries in large quantities... is in one word:

    HEAT

    LiIon batteries produce heat when they discharge and charge...
    If they make too much heat... internal damage happens to the chemical structure of the components of the battery... think of it kinda like pitting that happens when something rusts and the rust is washed away.
    When enough pitting happens... the battery is capable of 'run-away heat'... which leads to battery fires.

    Lots and lots and lots of little lowly 18650 batteries... have lots of space to dissipate heat...

    AS I understand it... the struggle to develop the 26650 battery, was to maintain the ability to dissipate heat under loads and charging rates of elec cars.

    Another little known fact: Take an 18650 battery... and cut it open...
    You will find a little disc like circuit board in one or the other end...
    That board does one thing... regulates the rate of draw down and charge... so the battery does not overheat.

    I still like the golf cart batteries... just get lots of them... and arrange for ventilation.

    The post a few up... with the 295W panels... and running a 24V battery system (4x 6V batteries in series; with multiple sets of these groups in parallel)... would make for the most effective arrangement IMO.

    Most of those 295-300W panels that produce ~30-35V... are 3 ft x 5 ft.
    IMO 4x those panels... or ~ +/-1200W out of the panels... into, say,
    8x 6V golf cart batteries: divided into 2 groups of 4 in series... then these 2 groups in parallel...
    Would give you LOTS of reserve power without a heavy discharge rate.
    Now later, you could add more group(s) of 4x 6V batteries to the parallel group... just connect them.
    And if you wanted... add another panel or so.
    Might want to plan ahead... and get a large enough charge controller... or a controller that can be 'piggy-backed' with additional controllers...

    Another little known fact about 'wet lead acid' batteries (automotive batteries)...
    Give them a S L O W charge... and they will build up depth of available power!
    Flash charge them... and they will develop chemical issues deep inside.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

    Your comfort, Your way, Everyday!

    GA's basic rules of home heating and AC upgrades:
    *Installation is more important than the brand of equipment
    *The duct system keeps the house comfortable; the equipment only heats and cools (and dehumidifies)
    *Cheap is not good, good is not cheap; however expensive is not a guarantee of quality!
    Choose your contractor wisely!

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •