Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Heat economizer

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by 71CHOPS View Post
    You keep saying you wouldn’t install this heat economizer system, but the way you’ve worded this response, it seems like you’re 100% behind the idea.

There’s a huge difference between a true BAS, and some hack crap that simply turns things off to save energy.

Are you actually the installing contractor, or are you an employee of the state that has entered into this contract? You’re a bit too passionate about the subject to be a contractor that made their money off the job and moved on.......just saying. Usually the installation contractor doesn’t give a crap about anything other than fulfilling the contract.
    I guess it's easy to misunderstand when your reading text but I'm an employee of the installing contractor. A service tech. I did the start ups and extras like that fuel economizer among others. The fuel economizer is what I've never seen before and was curious if anyone actually used them before or regularly for any reason. I've worked on alot of machines over the years and was a little surprised when i was handed them to install, especially since noone where i work knew what the were. If you read the thread you'd clearly see my excitement over the fact that it was a prevailing wage job. Pretty sure state employees don't get that. The company i work for has a controls department and most of our customers have our controls, including this one. Our controls are on these units and we still had to put the fuel economizer in.

Post Likes
    lol! yeah a lot is lost in translation from text on a screen!

I'd prolly embrace them, as they are gonna generate a lot of work for you in the future!! the pencil pushers don't understand that any energy savings generated, is lost with the increased failure rate!

lots of large companies (and municipalities) will spend $100,000.00 to save a thousand. I've heard a few people refer to it as "tripping over a dollar to pick up a penny".

Post Likes
    As with most energy devices or programs the savings are deemed not verified. In the 80's there was a product called a Furnace Brain that duty cycled furnaces. It had a mild weather setting and a cold weather setting. They promised 10% to 25% saving. Maybe we got 5% at best.

As far as run time and efficiency, the shorter the cycle the higher the efficiency. Mechanically this could be self destructive. The efficiency of equipment goes down the longer it runs. As the heat exchanger gets hotter, the less it absorbs. Its that temperature difference thing.
    captain CO

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Davis View Post
    As with most energy devices or programs the savings are deemed not verified. In the 80's there was a product called a Furnace Brain that duty cycled furnaces. It had a mild weather setting and a cold weather setting. They promised 10% to 25% saving. Maybe we got 5% at best.

As far as run time and efficiency, the shorter the cycle the higher the efficiency. Mechanically this could be self destructive. The efficiency of equipment goes down the longer it runs. As the heat exchanger gets hotter, the less it absorbs. Its that temperature difference thing.
    and the flip side to that is expansion contraction wears it down quicker!

Post Likes
    Had this garbage installed on a site that I service. It was installed by another contractor with new units as part of the rebate program. Problem is they couldn't connect it to Trane voyagers. Control is installed but the wires are insulated. Wonder if they still got their rebate.

Post Likes
    They just said it had to be installed, nothing about working also!!

Post Likes
    They just said it had to be installed, nothing about working also!!
    Then it’s worth it.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pecmsg View Post
    Then it’s worth it.
    It's supposedly tested by the state. But there's a bypass switch. What happens after inspection stays after inspection.

Post Likes
    the bypass switch is there for when the occupants complain, non stop, about being cold all the time! LOL!!

Post Likes
    the bypass switch is there for when the occupants complain, non stop, about being cold all the time! LOL!!
    this is true. just went back for my first service call there. perimeter spaces couldnt get above 69 degrees. after being unoccupied overnight the units cant catch up. it was like oprah...you get a bypass, you get a bypass and you get a bypass!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by berry42079 View Post
    this is true. just went back for my first service call there. perimeter spaces couldnt get above 69 degrees. after being unoccupied overnight the units cant catch up. it was like oprah...you get a bypass, you get a bypass and you get a bypass!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by berry42079 View Post
    It's supposedly tested by the state. But there's a bypass switch. What happens after inspection stays after inspection.
    Just curious - what State is using this for a rebate program?

I also wonder if by "heat economizer" the rebate program really means a device that recaptures heat from the flue. I searched the term and a lot of the pages that came up were referring to flue recovery rather than the device we're talking about here.

Post Likes
    The program dictates exactly what devices they want added to each particular unit

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123