Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Likes
    This sounds like formaldehyde to me, or alternatively coatings and glues. If your mucosal membrane in nose gets scabby - almost always formaldehyde. Try the cheaper home air check randy mentioned for VOC levels (run both the air and the dust particle one) - focusing on VOC and formaldehyde. Test after keeping doors/windows closed tight for minimum of 24 hours and when occupancy is lower (our lungs are really good at cleaning the air). I find the specifics of the test are hard to pin down, but the VOC numbers are close to the very expensive spectroscopy tests.
    My brand new build was a disaster - really wish ewg would stop focusing on mascara and start looking at building products. The paint was the primary culprit - it never cured properly. But there were so many other issues. The mirror mastic that was used in my bathroom gave me a headache for 6 months before it stopped offgassing. Smelled like a fake pine tree. I digress....
    The good news is if it is wood and coatings, you can just start coating things with AFM safecoat/acrylaq/etc and will def get offgassing under control. That and make sure you ventilate! I like IQAir more than Austin for air purifiers, if you decide to go that route as well.
    Good luck and let me know how everything goes!!!

Post Likes
    HEPA filters do nothing for VOCs. Fresh air change purges them.
    A fresh air change in 4-5 hours when occupied is minimum.
    Very sensitive occupants may need a fresh air change in 3 hours.
    Keep us posted about summer problems. <50%RH is also important.
    Regards Teddy Bear
    Bear Rules: Keep our home <50% RH summer, controls mites/mold and very comfortable.
    Provide 60-100 cfm of fresh air when occupied to purge indoor pollutants and keep window dry during cold weather. T-stat setup/setback +8 hrs. saves energy
    Use +Merv 10 air filter. -Don't forget the "Golden Rule"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12