Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BBeerme View Post
    Another thing I've mentioned on here before that is worth repeating . . .

If the power is out for more than 24 hours, I offer my generator to my neighbors for one hour each, so long as they have gasoline to top it up. The idea is to get their refer/freezer back down to temp so they don't lose all of those bucks in food. Works out well, I get paid in whatever type of alcohol they have on hand.
    I have a gas grille I offer. COOKOUT!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pacnw View Post

There are also many left minded activists, similar to your apparent mindset, that believe they know better than others how to live. Ban plastic bags, straws, free healthcare to illegals but screw the citizens/veterans, free education to illegals but not for citizens and many other things.

I stated my OBSERVATIONS. You are correct I provided no facts, but feel free to look into it.
    How does CA screw veterans?

"Best States with Veteran Benefits"

https://militarybenefits.info/best-s...eran-benefits/

California

California is also home to a large number of military installations, which means those who are eligible for on-base care, commissary or AAFES access have a great many options.

California offers some unique education incentives for veterans including tuition waivers for state-run schools. California has a high number of VA healthcare facilities, second only to New York and Wyoming according to a survey published by WalletHub.

California was listed first and the website is called Military Benefits info

You are right this is not a debate
    Signature removed Violated rule #15

Post Likes
    Again, not going to debate you. These are my observations in life.
    I have been on, my mother, gov assistance as a child. Once she was able, she worked multiple jobs to keep off those programs and give us what she could.
    With her ethics and those of my grandparents, I have a work ethic that has kept me from needing assistance and being able to assist others when I see fit. I don't do mass charity, it's a scam.
    I don't give to pan handlers, that's usually a scam.

I don't do mass charity, it's a scam.

It helped you didn't it?

" I have a work ethic that has kept me from needing assistance"

Work ethic many times has nothing to do with needing help. Your own post implies that but then you seem to disregard that reality.

My point earlier was that your signature is misleading and uninformed.
    Last edited by pageyjim; 05-31-2019 at 09:28 PM.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pageyjim View Post
    I don't do mass charity, it's a scam.

It helped you didn't it?

Mass charity for me is donating to the newest "cause" or issue.

" I have a work ethic that has kept me from needing assistance"

Work ethic many times has nothing to do with needing help. Your own post implies that but then you seem to disregard that reality.

My point earlier was that your signature is misleading and uninformed.

Your opinion vs my real world observation in multiple locations.
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

Post Likes
    "Your opinion vs my real world observation in multiple locations."

I have backed up much of what I have said and can do so for everything. You have done nothing of the sort and you even admitted it when you said you offered no facts.

Your own words.
    "You are correct I provided no facts,..."

Do you realize that you are answering my posts with in my quoted posts? You are making it look like I am saying what you are posting. I hope nobody I know reads those.

Post Likes
    SNAP is but one program.
    Also, ANY gov assistance is my(our) assistance. The gov takes from those that do and give to those that won't do(some are legitimate, but those are few).
    Gov is near sighted and tries to fix the effect not the cause. .

SNAP is the program you refer to in your signature. That is why I addressed it and not other programs. You get that right?

Post Likes
    Let's see now; where were we?

Oh, yeah, we were talking about the Solar Minimum.

My last post was #10 on page 1.

Sunspot update February 2019: The Sun flatlines again

The graph above has been modified to show the predictions of the solar science community. The green curves show the community’s two original predictions from April 2007, with half the scientists predicting a very strong maximum and half predicting a weak one. The red curve is their revised May 2009 prediction.

For the second time since the beginning of the solar minimum last year, the Sun flat-lined for an month, producing no visible sunspots during the entire month of February.

That streak has continued into March. At present we are four days into March, and still no sunspots.

The big question that I will be repeating probably every month for the next two years is whether we are merely experiencing an early and possibly deep solar minimum, or the advent of a new grand minimum, with no visible sunspots for decades. During the last grand minimum in the 1600s there is evidence the Earth cooled, so much so that it was labeled the Little Ice Age. And with previous grand minimums over the past few thousand years there is evidence that similar coolings occurred. Similarly, periods where sunspot activity was high also appear to have been periods of warmer temperatures.

https://behindtheblack.com/behind-th...atlines-again/
    Vacuum Technology:
    CRUD = Contamination Resulting in Undesirable Deposits.
    CRAPP = Contamination Resulting in Additional Partial Pressure.

Change your vacuum pump oil now.

Test. Testing, 1,2,3.

8. Likes Juan Madera liked this post
    Post Likes
    China quit taking any "recyclables" about a year or so back. The stuff is piling up on the piers in Japan! We are taking most of it to the dump now even if you separate for W/M

Quote Originally Posted by pageyjim View Post
    About 40% of China's energy comes from renewable energy. And is growing fast.

You can get an electric car in any state here in the US. Some states won't let Tesla have dealerships. That is a problem with lobbyists and their hold on power and ancient laws.

Tesla batteries for example are projected to last 500K miles. They can and will be recycled and not wasted. China sees the value of this I am sure. China takes in our recycled trash now. I doubt they will be wasting their batteries. And you actually just showed the need for treaties like the Paris Accord.

Tesla’s Approach to Recycling is the Way of the Future for Sustainable Production

https://medium.com/tradr/teslas-appr...n-5af99b62aa0e

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Juan Madera View Post
    China quit taking any "recyclables" about a year or so back. The stuff is piling up on the piers in Japan! We are taking most of it to the dump now even if you separate for W/M

The point of my post was to say that China is investing in clean and renewable energy even more than we are. Also that they know the value of recycling as they have demonstrated and will of course do so with very valuable batteries that were in question.

I was not correct or gave the wrong impression that they were still accepting most of our recycled materials but you are also wrong in saying they are not accepting anything. They are not accepting plastic, they do accept other recycled items. The big problem was that we were putting in items that were either dirty, contaminated or were not recyclable.

I thank you for the clarification and hope you understood the rest of the post.

Post Likes
    Say Goodbye to Sunspots?
    September 14, 2010
    Scientists studying sunspots for the past 2 decades have concluded that the magnetic field that triggers their formation has been steadily declining. If the current trend continues, by 2016 the sun's face may become spotless and remain that way for decades—a phenomenon that in the 17th century coincided with a prolonged period of cooling on Earth.

Sunspots appear when upwellings of the sun's magnetic field trap ionized plasma—or electrically charged, superheated gas—on the surface. Normally, the gas would release its heat and sink back below the surface, but the magnetic field inhibits this process. From Earth, the relatively cool surface gas looks like a dark blemish on the sun.

Astronomers have been observing and counting sunspots since Galileo began the practice in the early 17th century. From those studies, scientists have long known that the sun goes through an 11-year cycle, in which the number of sunspots spikes during a period called the solar maximum and drops—sometimes to zero—during a time of inactivity called the solar minimum.

The last solar minimum should have ended last year, but something peculiar has been happening. Although solar minimums normally last about 16 months, the current one has stretched over 26 months—the longest in a century. One reason, according to a paper submitted to the International Astronomical Union Symposium No. 273, an online colloquium, is that the magnetic field strength of sunspots appears to be waning.

Read the rest:
    https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2010...odbye-sunspots

What's going on with the sun? Scientists puzzled by oddities in sunspot cycle.
    June 3, 2014
    The sun has been acting strangely of late, prompting some solar physicists to suggest that once current sunspot activity peaked, which appeared to happen last fall, it could tank and remain that way for several decades.

A prolonged period with few or no spots would have a slight, temporary cooling effect on Earth's climate and a general calming effect on space weather, which would be good news for astronauts and satellites.

Recent observations of the sun show that, yes, it's still acting in a peculiar way for this point in its 11-year sunspot cycle.

But as cautious as scientists were in 2009, when they first raised the possibility of a looming so-called grand minimum, those earlier suggestions have given way to shrugs of "who knows?"

It's not for lack of trying to understand Earth's host star, say solar physicists attending the June meeting of the American Astronomical Society in Boston. But it's been hard. Some of the evidence that researchers pointed to in suggesting the coming of a grand minimum has vanished. Also, only in the past four years have sun-watchers had the tools to dig deep into the underlying mechanisms driving sunspot cycles.

And if one looks far enough into the past, at least one solar maximum in the past 100 years has been as lackluster as the current one.

If a prolonged dearth of sunspots lies ahead, researchers would be hard pressed to predict it because they don't know what the run-up to a grand minimum looks like. None of the tools in space or on Earth today were available between the mid-1600s and the early 1700s, when the sun went through the Maunder Minimum.

"At some point, we want to be able to predict what the next cycle is like," said Sarbani Basu, a Yale University astrophysicist, during a briefing Tuesday on the sun's behavior. "We're working hard; we're not there yet."

Still, given the current stage in what's known as Cycle 24, the sun is presenting researchers with some puzzling observations.

Read the rest:
    https://www.csmonitor.com/Science/20...-sunspot-cycle

The Sun follows the rhythm of the planets
    May 27, 2019
    New study corroborates the influence of planetary tidal forces on solar activity

One of the big questions in solar physics is why the Sun’s activity follows a regular cycle of 11 years. Researchers from the Helmholtz-Zentrum Dresden-Rossendorf (HZDR), an independent German research institute, now present new findings, indicating that the tidal forces of Venus, Earth and Jupiter influence the solar magnetic field, thus governing the solar cycle. The team of researchers present their findings in the journal Solar Physics (doi: 10.1007/s11207-019-1447-1).

In principle, it is not unusual for the magnetic activity of a star like the Sun to undergo cyclic oscillation. And yet past models have been unable to adequately explain the very regular cycle of the sun. The HZDR research team has now succeeded in demonstrating that the planetary tidal forces on the Sun act like an outer clock, and are the decisive factor behind its steady rhythm. To accomplish this result, the scientists systematically compared historical observations of solar activity from the last thousand years with planetary constellations, statistically proving that the two phenomena are linked. “There is an astonishingly high level of concordance: what we see is complete parallelism with the planets over the course of 90 cycles,” enthused Frank Stefani, lead author of the study. “Everything points to a clocked process.”

Read the rest:
    https://www.hzdr.de/db/Cms?pNid=99&pOid=58444

A violent, active sun, as seen in ultraviolet light in October 2014—near solar maximum in its 11-year solar cycle. As the sun approaches solar minimum, scientists are trying to predict the timing and strength of the next solar maximum. NASA/SDO/LMSAL

Scientists tackle a burning question: When will our quiet sun turn violent?
    May. 30, 2019
    BOULDER, COLORADO—For all of February the sun is nearly spotless, a smooth circle filled in with a goldenrod crayon. It has been more than a decade since it was so lacking in sunspots—dark magnetic knots as big as Earth that are a barometer of the sun's temperament. Below the surface, however, a radical transition is afoot. In 5 years or so, the sun will be awash in sunspots and more prone to violent bursts of magnetic activity. Then, about 11 years from now, the solar cycle will conclude: Sunspots will fade away and the sun will again grow quiet.

Read the rest:
    https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2019...n-turn-violent

In reference to above article:
    Solar scientists struggle to predict the next sunspot cycle
    May 31, 2019
    This is a detailed article describing the meeting in March where the solar science community gathered to formulate its prediction for the next solar cycle.

What stands out about the meeting is the outright uncertainty the scientists have about any prediction they might make. It is very clear that they recognize that all their predictions, both in the past and now, are not based on any actual understanding the Sun’s magnetic processes that form sunspots and cause its activity cycles, but on superficial statistics and using the past visual behavior of the Sun to predict its future behavior.
    “There’s not very much physics involved,” concedes panelist Rachel Howe of the University of Birmingham in the United Kingdom, who has been tasked with reviewing the mishmash of statistical models. “There’s not very much statistical sophistication either.”

Panelist Andrés Muñoz-Jaramillo of the Southwest Research Institute in Boulder agrees with Howe. “There is no connection whatsoever to solar physics,” he says in frustration. McIntosh, who by now has walked downstairs from his office and appears in the doorway, is blunter. “You’re trying to get rid of numerology?” he says, smirking.

The result, as I repeatedly note in my monthly sunspot updates, is that the last prediction failed, and that there is now great disagreement among these scientists about what will happen in the upcoming cycle.

Read the rest:
    https://behindtheblack.com/behind-th...sunspot-cycle/

Sunspot update May 2019: The long ramp down
    June 3, 2019
    NOAA yesterday released its May update for the Sun’s sunspot cycle. The graph is posted below, annotated by me to give it some context.

The Sun in May continued to show the exact same amount of activity as it had shown for March and April. This steady uptick in sunspot activity once again shows that the ramp down to full solar minimum will be long and extended.

The graph above has been modified to show the predictions of the solar science community for the previous solar maximum. The green curves show the community’s two original predictions from April 2007, with half the scientists predicting a very strong maximum and half predicting a weak one. The red curve is their revised May 2009 prediction, extended in November 2018 four years into the future.

That we are definitely ramping downward to minimum, even with the slight increase in the past three months, is shown by the fact that the Sun has shown no sunspots for the past fifteen days. In fact, all the activity shown in May comes from the first half of the month. This pattern is actually a reflection of the Sun’s 27-day rotation period. As I noted in my February 2017 update,

January’s activity however illustrated a statistical phenomenon that is typical of the sunspot count. That count is determined not by the numbers of sunspots on the entire surface of the Sun, but on the sunspots visible on the side of the Sun facing the Earth. Since it is not unusual for one face to be more active than the other, as we transition from maximum to minimum the sunspot counts will often show a more pronounced up-and-down curve reflecting this fact. Since the Sun’s day equals about 27 Earth days, this means that about every two weeks the active side will dominate our view until it rotates away and the inactive side reveals itself for two weeks.

In 2017 the number of spots were greater, so the period of inactivity was generally less. Now, it is not unusual for the Sun to be blank for weeks at a time. When it does become active, it is also not unusual for that activity to be confined to one hemisphere, so we get two weeks or less of activity, followed by two weeks or more of blankness.

So far there have been no sunspots in June. Expect that to continue for at least another week, when the more active hemisphere of the Sun returns to face us. I would not be surprise however if that other hemisphere arrives with its sunspots gone, so that the present streak of blankness continues unabated.

Meanwhile, solar scientists struggle to figure out what is going to happen next. Unlike climate scientists, who know as little about the climate, the solar science community admits to its ignorance about the Sun, and the uncertainty of its solar models.

See the links and comments:
    https://behindtheblack.com/behind-th...ong-ramp-down/
    Vacuum Technology:

Test. Testing, 1,2,3.

Post Likes
    Drop in Sunspot Activity a Warning of Global Cooling
    January 4, 2017

Solar scientists have shown from the historical record that sunspot activity correlates well with climate change on earth. Fewer recent sunspots fits well with times of global cooling.

The chart above shows a weakening trend of sunspots in solar cycles 22, 23 and 24. These are the latest in a sequence dating from 1755, when extensive recording of solar sunspot activity began. Note that the peak of solar cycle 24, which occurred in 2014, is only about half that of solar cycle 22, which peaked about 1989.

This portends global cooling—not global warming. Sunspots are dwindling to lows not seen in 200 years. In 2008, during the solar minimum of cycle 23, there were 266 days with no sunspots. This is considered a very deep solar minimum. You can check out pictures of sunspots—or their absence—day after day for recent years at http://tinyurl.com/6zck4x.

Read the rest::
    https://i0.wp.com/principia-scientif...00%2C600&ssl=1
    Vacuum Technology:

Test. Testing, 1,2,3.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Racer View Post
    Drop in Sunspot Activity a Warning of Global Cooling
    January 4, 2017

Solar scientists have shown from the historical record that sunspot activity correlates well with climate change on earth. Fewer recent sunspots fits well with times of global cooling.

The chart above shows a weakening trend of sunspots in solar cycles 22, 23 and 24. These are the latest in a sequence dating from 1755, when extensive recording of solar sunspot activity began. Note that the peak of solar cycle 24, which occurred in 2014, is only about half that of solar cycle 22, which peaked about 1989.

This portends global cooling—not global warming. Sunspots are dwindling to lows not seen in 200 years. In 2008, during the solar minimum of cycle 23, there were 266 days with no sunspots. This is considered a very deep solar minimum. You can check out pictures of sunspots—or their absence—day after day for recent years at http://tinyurl.com/6zck4x.[/INDENT]

Read the rest::
    https://i0.wp.com/principia-scientif...00%2C600&ssl=1

This is actually more evidence that the recent global warming is driven by man. In other words the earth has been warming even during a cooling cycle of the sun.

Post Likes
    50 years of being wrong... A compendium of print media failed climate and population predictions.. Vedddy inneresting!

https://cei.org/blog/wrong-again-50-...ic-predictions

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast