Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Likes
    He’s the boss!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by sixela918 View Post
    Apparently, unbeknownst to me, my boss somehow decided that "smart seal external" was the best solution. http://www.coolairproducts.net/ac-smart-seal-external/
    Opinions? Anyone have any experience with this product?

My personal opinion (with absolutely no information about it other than the sales pitch on the website) is that it's a terrible I idea.
    That stuff looks to be standard epoxy putty.
    I'd agree that the chance of it working is pretty slim, especially if the system is pressurized at all.

If you're going that route, I'd try regular JB Weld instead. I'd cut out the existing coupling, clean the copper and aluminum up as best as you can, mix up some JB Weld and smear it on the pipes and a new copper coupling. Shove the pipes together and then smear more JB Weld around the outside of the joints.

Or maybe better yet braze the coupling to the copper and just use the JB Weld on the aluminum pipe.

Then leave the system unpressurized for a couple of days before trying to pressurize it back up.

I do think I'd rather try your compression fitting idea first though. 7/8" compression unions are hard to find but they do exist. It shouldn't be that hard to order one from somewhere.

Post Likes
    @sixela918 any photo's? Any luck?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Double ferrell compression fitting can be purchased from a hydraulic tubing and hose company or stainless fitting company to transition from aluminum to copper

Post Likes
    Post #25
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Likes
    They used JB Weld for copper

Holy cow I hope they arent billing the customer for this , what a poor decision

Post Likes
    I would tell my boss what I am using not the other way around. And only if he asked

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    2 words: Flex-seal

9. Likes Spitz liked this post
    Post Likes
    We held off on the repair attempt (with the smart-seal) as it has been very very cold (for us). According to the instructions, the system would have to be off for a minimum of 5 hours. So we're going to wait for the weather to get a little more normal. That way it won't be a problem if the heat pump is off for 12 hours during the day.

Speaking of the instructions, it states,

"Once the leak is identified, turn off the system, and clean the application area." etc

No mention of recovering the charge, or pumping it down or anything. Just "turn the system off"! Seriously?!

11. Likes Zamoramax liked this post
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Adlerberts-Protege View Post
    2 words: Flex-seal
    Flex-seal? You mean this stuff?

https://www.flexsealproducts.com/

Post Likes

Yeah, I think he was being a smart ass. I think Flex seal is kind of a joke if for no other reason than the guy that's in the infomercials is a complete dork who likes to cut holes in his boats.

Probably wouldn't work any worse than that stuff your boss wants you to use though.

Seriously though, just smearing that stuff on the outside of the leak most likely isn't going to last very long, if at all. I guess I would at the very least pump the system down into a slight vacuum if you can, especially since it's on the suction line of the system which should make that easy enough to do.

Hopefully your boss is letting these people know that this is nothing more than a hail-Mary pass lobbed up into the air that has a pretty slim chance of working.

You should hopefully still be able to go with your compression union idea when this magic putty stuff fails.
    If at First You Don't Succeed, Skydiving Is Not for You.

Post Likes
    Post # 25 .... order it

Post Likes

Hell yes. Spray er on. Get er done.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast