Post Likes

rational cpc 201g excessive steaming

hello after descaling the steam generator in this unit and replacing a defective emptying pump , i found while in combi mode that at times the unit built up steam pressure in the cabinet quickly and violently at times. it actually blew steam out the door gasket and its a new door gasket. in steam only mode its fine. checked drain to see if it was clogged, it isnt. any ideas? thanks the unit is vintage 2003.

Post Likes
    I’m not very well versed on the CPC line but...

Humidity control stuck closed?
    Drain clogged?
    Vent clogged?
    B1/B2/Y2 defective?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Definitely not a clogged drain. Steam shoots out the vent too so dont think that's clogged. As for the humidity valve nite sure could check that. It's almost as if water is hitting the heat exchangers in the cooking cabinet and flashing into steam it's that quick and violent of a steam buildup.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    You know I didn’t see in your original post that this happens only in combi mode. I wonder if Y3 is leaking by and flashing on the hot air heat exchanger? I’m not sure if it was only leaking by if it could even reach the HE though...

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by VanMan812 View Post
    You know I didn’t see in your original post that this happens only in combi mode. I wonder if Y3 is leaking by and flashing on the hot air heat exchanger? I’m not sure if it was only leaking by if it could even reach the HE though...

yeh im now wondering if the steam generator is overfilling and blowing water right out onto the HE the level probe was indicating the steam generator was full after descaling but maybe fill solonoid is leaking and overfilling it...when you mentioned the solonoids i thought of that...one more thing to check.. thanks

Post Likes
    I thought of that but you said it works fine in steam mode. Either way it would hurt to check.

Post Likes
    Yeh in steam mode the hot air heat exchangers wouldn't be so hot so it wouldn't happen I'm guessing

Post Likes
    I thought of that but you said it works fine in steam mode. Either way it would hurt to check.

Post Likes
    Two things are puzzling here:

>Definitely not a clogged drain. Steam shoots out the vent too so dont think that's clogged.

First, what "vent" are you speaking of here? The vertical vent piping extension on the external 2" drain tee, or the humidity control "vent" on the top of the machine that lets cold dry air *into* the cooking chamber?

Secondly, *if* the drain piping is clear all the way to the nearby floor drain, with a proper slope, there can never be pressure building up in the cooking compartment. Period. Think about it- there's a 2" hole and 2" piping leading out of the machine, essentially without restriction.

If there is excessive steam coming out of the drain vent or drain piping at the floor drain, the condensate solenoid system is not functioning.

And even though you have replaced the door gasket, place a straight edge along the door glass when hot- they have a tendancy to warp and open up at higher temperatures, which you'd get in combi mode but not straight steam mode.

Post Likes
    Hello the vent I am referring to is the drain box vent not the humidity valve inlet which is there to allow air to be pulled into the oven as you said. We took the drain piping right off the oven. I'm seeing that it builds up pressure so fast it cant vent out the drain fast enough. It's almost explosive which is why I wonder if water landing on the hot air heat exchanger and flashing to steam.

Post Likes
    Sounds like it's got to be that. Yeah, pull the water level probe on the boiler and see if it's way over. Be careful.

Post Likes
    If the boiler were overfilling to the point it was spilling out onto the hot air HE I wouldn’t think it would work fine in steam mode.

Did you move any of the valve wires/hoses around during the descale?

Post Likes
    I replaced the emptying pump which was jammed with scale and the emptying hose. Removed and cleaned the hose that has the level probe in it and the elbow at the bottom of the steam generator where the hose attaches . In function test the level probe indicates the water is hitting it .didnt check if any solenoids were bypassing . A follow up repair is being done to replace a noisy motor so j will dig a little deeper then.