Post Likes

Hmm Hussman rack alarm

looking for some advice on old Hussman rack m/n MTV6K S/N PP-18-85. Looking for some one to explain the insides of the alarm box ? what actually causes the breaker to pop. Im getting M1 breaker to pop but I have no faults .All safeties are working properly.M1 compressor starts up fine an at random times( 10 sec to 2 min ) the breaker will pop and trigger the alarm .
    thx jimie
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Post Likes
    Your going to have to give us more than that. It sounds like either your using wrong terminology or I have reading comprehension issues. What size breaker is popping and what is your amp draw? Let’s start with that more pics couldn’t hurt.
    Honeywell you can buy better but you cant pay more

I told my wife when i die to sell my fishing stuff for what its worth not what i told her i paid for it

Post Likes
    M1 breaker is protecting A compressor...……...Maybe start there???

Post Likes
    ok i guess i should have been a little more descriptive , the M1 breaker that i refer too is not a break but an indication that an alarm for the compressor has been tripped(looks like a aircraft circuit breaker), it gives you a visual indication.the top blue print is the alarm box is what im trying to figure out how it actually works. i spoke to hussman support and they have nothing as this system is too old. That lead me to this web site.when you follow the circuit on the second blue print you can see the different things to activate the alarm. the problem is it randomly pops like i stated in the first thread. Hoping to find a old mechanic like me to that remembers this system

Post Likes
    Never worked on this system,but if I understand you the circuit breaker by z1 & y1 at the top of page 2 is tripping? From what I can tell it looks like a holding circuit, is the ops auto or manual reset? According to the diagram your compressor module and ops don’t have an alarm contact. If the above is true then I suspect their using the holding relay/alarm relay to fill this void.

I told my wife when i die to sell my fishing stuff for what its worth not what i told her i paid for it

Post Likes
    Wish I could help. Last time I saw one of those racks was 1998.

I do remember all the wires were red...

Post Likes
    Here's an old Hussmann manual which includes a section on a similar alarm system to the one you have. It has a brief description of how it's supposed to work along with typical schematic diagrams. I hope this helps you better understand what's going on:

Hussmann Thermoficient TD System Manual (Part 2) (1983)

Post Likes
    Ice maybe you can answer this in the op’s second print it showaux contacts when for computer connection, any idea what computer. I have never seen a computer hookup to something this old, and why it would be needed.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by crazzycajun View Post
    Ice maybe you can answer this in the op’s second print it showaux contacts when for computer connection, any idea what computer. I have never seen a computer hookup to something this old, and why it would be needed.
    Aux contacts would likely be going to a customer's central alarm or to a monitored alarm like ADT. The dedicated onboard "computers' like the EIL, Altec and CPC compressor/defrost/alarm controllers didn't show up until the early 1980's, although I've seen systems like Comptrol and Andover that were basically programmable controllers which may have been what this note was referring to.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by icemeister View Post
    Aux contacts would likely be going to a customer's central alarm or to a monitored alarm like ADT. The dedicated onboard "computers' like the EIL, Altec and CPC compressor/defrost/alarm controllers didn't show up until the early 1980's, although I've seen systems like Comptrol and Andover that were basically programmable controllers which may have been what this note was referring to.

Post Likes
    Is this one of the push button alarm indicators that you need to push in to reset. They set off the general rack alarm. Are the group of buttons black in a chrome mounted in a

chrome bracket.

There should be some marked A1, A2, A3...up to the number of compressors on the rack, there will also be one for a low receiver level alarm & I forget what the other one is for.

Sounds like one of the automatic reset safeties are tripping, then cause the alarm, the safety automatically resets & if there is a call for that compressor the compressor starts.

If it is the first one that is tripping (A1) it will be for compressor #1