Page 1 of 9 12345678 ... LastLast
    Post Likes

Controls Manufacturer Comparison

I am in the process of trying to decide which control lines that I should go after to become a distributor. I have been looking and I haven't really found anything really centralized as far as different manufacturer limitations, likes, dislike etc. Before I get all the howlers saying "It's not about the controls, but about the person installing them." I get that, however, getting from startup to turnover is a lot less arduous with some control lines vs others. I have worked with Honeywell, Tridium, and Alerton mostly. Alerton will not allow me to become a distributor since they are already locked in with a company in my area. The two lines that are the front runners are Delta and JCI, but I have heard good things about Distech and Automated Logic. Lastly, what I am looking for is why you love your product line, and most importantly, where you think it falls short. I'll kick it off with Alerton.

Alerton
    Pros
    Cheap.
    Code is very easy to learn and read.
    One of the most elegant thermostats currently available.
    Supports wide array of baud rates.
    Removable terminal blocks for quick controller replacement.
    Standard graphics are actually pretty sleek.
    Software has a nice FTP.

Cons
    Most controllers don't contain real-time clock
    Most controllers do not hold schedules (they reside in the global controller).
    No API
    No effective way to access optimum start schedules in the code.
    Graphic editor is limited, cumbersome, and cannot effectively make reusable graphics.
    Limited capability of customizing UI in terms of scheduling and alarming.
    Setting up batch configurations is tedious and a lot less effective than other systems.
    Controllers programming requires download to be changed.
    Most controllers still require resistors for 4-20ma inputs and no universal IO.
    Requires a computer for graphics.

All that said, it is hard to beat Alerton when it comes to unitary controllers that are cost effective.

2. Likes InnotechNinja liked this post
    Post Likes
    Take a look at Innotech, feature packed and well priced. Great US based support as well. Programming much like VisualLogic but with more features. The universal IO and web interface set it apart from comparable competition.

http://https://innotech.com/Default.aspx

kontrol out
    "Good" - Jocko
    "Open is as open does." - Forrest Gump
    "Can't we all just get a Lon?" - Garry Jack
    "BACnet: integration or interrogation?" - The Janitor
    "Interoperability? You can't handle interoperability!" - Nathan R. Jessup
    “What’s that? Aaa… open protocols? Don’t talk about…. open protocols? Are you kidding me? Open protocols? I just hope we can hardwire an interface!” - Jim Mora Watch it here!

4. Likes InnotechNinja liked this post
    Post Likes
    X2 , cheers!
    Last edited by kontrolphreak; 02-10-2019 at 09:55 PM.
    Keep it simple to keep it cool!

6. Likes InnotechNinja liked this post
    Post Likes
    I work with Delta Controls, so here's what I'd say:

Pros:
    -Solid Hardware and BACnet integration
    -Awesome Tech Support and Online Resources
    -Very flexible product line, you program it to do anything you want (no "black box" algorithms on most products, they are available on some zone products if that's what you'd like)
    -Main controllers uses hot-swappable I/O cards which you can mix/match to create the I/O combination you require
    -Universal inputs on all controllers
    -All in one web-based software (graphics,programming,etc)
    -Live program edits (no need to upload/download to controller)

Cons:
    -You program just about everything, don't expect to click a button that says "AHU" and get a pre-made program
    -Not always "plug and play" due to the programming required
    -Can be complicated to work on for those who aren't technically inclined

Post Likes
    This is my main gripe with Automated Logic. You want to be a dealer for ALC, great! Oh it looks like there is already a dealer in your area, better luck next time. In your area you'd be going up against Sunbelt which might not be a good proposition anyway.
    Scott Jalbert, WebCTRL ninja, Naiagara AX and Smartstruxure newb, SiteScan Retired

The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried

Post Likes
    ALC is still my favorite after so many years and so many systems, but their territorial crap kills it for me.

Post Likes
    ALC's WebCTRL is one of the most robust, complete and easily deployable software in the market and hands down in my favorite HVAC DDC software other than integration to other vendors. In my opinion their controllers are mediocre and ARC156 blows (which they even seem to acknowledge with two of their recent devices being exclusively MSTP per their website/documents).

kontrol out
    "Good" - Jocko
    “What’s that? Aaa… open protocols? Don’t talk about…. open protocols? Are you kidding me? Open protocols? I just hope we can hardwire an interface!” - Jim Mora Watch it here!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by kontrolphreak View Post
    Take a look at Innotech, feature packed and well priced. Great US based support as well. Programming much like VisualLogic but with more features. The universal IO and web interface set it apart from comparable competition.

http://https://innotech.com/Default.aspx

kontrol out
    What do you think about Innotech vs Reliable?

Post Likes
    Reliable have solid controllers (Innotech MSTP small controllers were just shown at AHR) and probably the best BACnet support in the industry, but I prefer the Innotech graphical based programs and truly universal IO. Reliable edge Innotech in 5 year warranty and web interface has pros and cons between the two. Innotech has full program viewing and more web interface configuration but Reliable has full web based graphics served from the controller. If I had to choose between the two I would lean towards Innotech.

kontrol out
    "Good" - Jocko

13. Likes InnotechNinja liked this post
    Post Likes
    Unless I missed any recent news, innotech does not have any small BACnet unitary controllers, like vav
    And as far as I know pricing for innotech is on the high side compare to reliable.
    I messed around with innotech BACnet config software about a year and it was very clunky and super slow for third party discovery, but they had the right idea. Hopefully that has improved.
    Now if innotech has a more open distribution model than reliable then I will take another look.
    What is the front end for innotech? or is it just reliant on onboard webserver?

Post Likes
    our BACnet unitary and VAV have just been released as mentioned above.

I messed around with innotech BACnet config software about a year and it was very clunky and super slow for third party discovery
    I cant see this Focus software integration for me and others has been rock solid, fast, smooth and very user friendly

Software for approved contractors after small online training course requires no license fees and NO minimum sales quotas

Magellan is the Innotech headend and renowned for being one of the most user friendly systems out there Combined with ATOM data and energy acquisition software, makes for a complete solution for larger projects.

hope you look into it Amigo

16. Likes InnotechNinja liked this post
    Post Likes
    link to vav controller please?

does contractor sign up have any territorial restrictions and such?

Post Likes
    https://gyazo.com/0237ffe406116f5a3be80a3cf3cf0711

https://gyazo.com/a7dc3253f409ba248810046fc8d1c847

https://gyazo.com/3efdfdac2440ff267b71219b17ea889a

No data sheet for Unitary controller yet I think sorry , as actual release still a few months off

https://innotech.com/DownloadFiles/D...ch_omni_ds.pdf
    https://innotech.com/DownloadFiles/D...agellan_ds.pdf

https://innotech.com/DownloadFiles/D...ch_atom_ds.pdf

Territory I can`t vouch for, but highly doubtable , would have to speak with American office how that`s managed. With Innotech you don't get the politics of the BIG 4 so to speak , and really are treated like part of a team
    Last edited by stanbyyourword; 02-12-2019 at 02:56 AM.

Page 1 of 9 12345678 ... LastLast