+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Engineer Air

Post Likes

Engineer Air

Has anyone come across a DJE-40 Engineer Air unit with DJM3.4 controller. There is a bad smell coming from the flue. I was about to performer combustion test with combustion analyzer but when I removed chimney on flue I notice a lot of soot in the flue. I suspect there will be soot in the secondary heat exchanger tubes too. Is this possible to clean or should I remove heat exchanger from the top and replace with new heat exchanger?
    Last edited by Dad; 02-10-2019 at 12:20 PM. Reason: Wrong words

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by JD66 View Post
    Has anyone come across a DJE-40 Engineer Air unit with DJM3.4 controller. There is a bad smell coming from the flue. I was about to performer combustion test with combustion analyzer but when I removed chimney on flue I notice a lot of soot in the flue. I suspect there will be soot in the secondary heat exchanger tubes too. Is this possible to clean or should I remove heat exchanger from the top and replace with new heat exchanger?
    I was told by EA tech support that it is likely more trouble than it was worth the try and clean the HX on one of those units that small in size. Tech support guy said he tried once and would never do it again. Had to make a custom end for his pressure washer just to get water in on the right angle. Another person told me it took about 8 hours to clean one by the time they hauled everything on the roof, cleaned it and the packed everything back down with a helper. Probably have it replaced and running again in that time.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    While your at it, take a good look at the combustion blower assembly.

We had one pumping ~3000 ppm CO, with a huge hole in HX and a lot of soot. Don't remember exact model number.

Caused by incorrect combustion air. Don't know the specifics, another one of our guys did the repair after my initial diagnoses.

Agree with BALloyd, I'd be inclined to replace the HX.

Post Likes
    Mine had a failed gas pressure regulator. Regulator quit regulating and was feeding 2 psi gas into gas valve inlet only rated for 14 inches, therefore gas valve failed to regulate.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BALloyd View Post
    Mine had a failed gas pressure regulator. Regulator quit regulating and was feeding 2 psi gas into gas valve inlet only rated for 14 inches, therefore gas valve failed to regulate.

I’m shocked your gas valve didn’t just lock up... weird

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in