Post Likes

Wireless connection to a Jace Secondary Port

We have a site that we need to monitor closely for a year and since the owners IT group won't give a VPN connection, we purchased a Cradlepoint IBR650 with a static IP from verizon that is connected to the secondary port. Spent 2 days last week with Cradlepoint support trying to make a port forwarding connection to Fox 4911 with no luck. We can see the message from the outside WB getting to the Jace (192.168.0.2) but it doesn't reply, and the cradlepoint sends an ARP message which it replys to.

11:58:54.002951 IP 226.sub-174-228-135.myvzw.com.6912 > 192.168.0.2.4911: Flags [S], seq 3417455560, win 8192, options [
    mss 1388,nop,wscale 2,nop,nop,sackOK], length 0

11:58:59.011118 ARP, Request who-has 192.168.0.2 tell cp.local.tld, length 28
    11:58:59.011567 ARP, Reply 192.168.0.2 is-at 30:45:11:84:36:1c (oui Unknown), length 46

I know the secondary port is not running the full IP stack with no gateway, but we are directly connected from the Cradlepoint to the Jace and have no problem direct connecting to the Jace. I have used the Raven XT on a similar project years ago and went with the Cradlepoint on the recommendation of a co-worker. The Raven setup was different and used the IP of Jace as the default gateway for the Ravens local network. It was limited since you could only connect to one Jace, but that is all I need.

Looking to see if anyone has figured out how configure the Cradlepoint to work for our application, or has another device they are using.

Thanks

Post Likes
    Is the secondary port on a different subnet than the primary port? I have couple of Jaces connected on ibr650s with no issue but they connected on the primary port.

Post Likes
    The secondary port has to be on a different subnet from the primary. Are you using port forwarding to connect the networks?
    Thanks

Post Likes
    I have made this work before, but not with a cradle point. I know that they have routers that are compatible with some of the usb modems as well as open vpn. Do you verify that you could connect when hardwired to the secondary port? Does the cradle point have any type of firewall rules that would block your connection?

Post Likes
    We can connect to the secondary port locally with no problem and can ping it from the Cradlepoint console. I can see the connection message coming into the local network, but the Jace is not replying. The Raven XT we used in the past allowed us to set the default gateway of the local network which we set to the IP of the Jace. The Cradlepoint is a router with a default gateway to the local network. I am going to add a small router between the Jace and Cradlepoint using the Jaces IP as the Gateway.

I miss the days when sizing valves was the most technical part of a project...

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by krac View Post
    Cradlepoint using the Jaces IP as the Gateway
    The cradlepoint is the router to the internet, that's your gateway. I can't see how it would work using the Jace IP as the gateway. It cannot route IP between ports...so that would be pointless.

Quote Originally Posted by krac View Post
    We can see the message from the outside WB getting to the Jace (192.168.0.2) but it doesn't reply,
    Well the Jace is going to get this. Then since its not local subnet traffic, its going to try the send the response to the gateway (itself in your setup) which has no path to back out.
    Propagating the formula. http://www.noagendashow.com/